Red Series Vs. Blue series config button

I have some red series dimmers around my house and have some blue series ordered. If I didn’t misread something, the new blue series switches will support multipressing the config button up to 7 times like the up and down buttons. The red series only supports a single config press.
Would it be possible for a firmware update to add this to the red series switches so that they have feature parity with blue series?

From what I’m reading, I think all the 2nd generation zwave series devices will be considered orphaned with no further firmware updates.

Yes, you are correct in that the Blue Series does support this feature.

@PJF is also correct in that unfortunately we are unable to update the Red Series switches at this time as the manufacturer holds the source code to the switches and are being a real PITA to work with despite our best efforts. Long story short, they have made the decision to only work with large companies >$50M in revenue and also now outsource their firmware development (so their engineers were all let go).

There may be a workaround in that we can rebuild the code ourselves, but I can’t promise that publicly bc we currently don’t have the bandwidth to do it.

In addition, one of the manufacturers we’re working with has former employees (from the Red Series manufacturer) who worked on our 500 Series switches who may (or may not) have taken the source code with them out of spite. This is something we’re currently negotiating, but we also can’t promise they’ll just turn it over w/out some sort of payment or a, “you scratch our back, we’ll scratch yours” type deal.

Lastly, I don’t think the switches were built to handle the multi-tap support from the aux switch bc it was a hardware limitation (from what I was told). So, even if we were to be able to get the firmware, there’s no guarantee that it would work.

Wish I had better news :confused:

3 Likes