Red vs. Blue for Phillips Hue

How do you set this up? Could this work with Hue connected to Hubitat?

I think this video sums up my recommendation. It’s truly unreal how fast Zigbee bindings are:

I’m fairly certain this will work just as well on Hubitat – I just didn’t test it personally. I did test bindings on one bulb and it was fast, but I didn’t do all 13 like I did with HA.

5 Likes

Blue will be better-er than red.

Local bindings do not rely on the hub to be up/on, AND it’s direct communication with the bulb.

You want blues for hue control, even if the reds are VERY fast, blues will be faster-er.

2 Likes

Surprised this hasn’t come up yet. Am I too old? :grimacing:

3 Likes

That’s great! And how is that setup? Is it through a separate app like the zwave associations were setup, through the firmware itself, or something else?

Fixed the title. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great question. It’s setup via Home Assistant using ZHA (it can be done in Zigbee2MQTTT too). Basically, I paired all the Philips Hue bulbs directly to Home Assistant as well as the Inovelli switch.

Here’s how I did it. Fairly simple!

1 Like

So it can only be done with HA? Hubitat is my main hub.

Thanks for the help so far, I just purchased two to get started. If it’s only on HA I’ll have to try to find a way to add them to HA and then have HA share the switch to hubitat.

Hubitat will be able to do it. I thought @adamkempenich was working on the app for Hubitat.

@adamkempenich any word on binding the blue series switches in Hubitat? Want to know if I should pick up a Zigbee USB dongle.

@BrenenP - Here’s a link to @adamkempenich binding driver for Hubitat.

3 Likes

Thank you @harjms and @adamkempenich – I look forward to trying out ZB binding on Hubitat with the Blues when they arrive – many thanks for hooking this option up for us!

1 Like

I think that you don’t need to use the binding driver if you are using our driver that I posted yesterday (the official Blue 2-in-1 driver). Just the binding app since the driver was programmed to work with the app.

1 Like

Ah, good to know – I was trying to wrap my head around how that binding driver was really gonna fit in, so this approach makes more sense! Binding will be huge in at least one of my Blue installs, so I’m very excited to try it. Thanks again very much!

2 Likes

Just to confirm, I just created a “bind” from one switch to another using the app and did not have to use the special driver. The official 2-in-1 driver worked. I basically did this twice:

Once for switch 1 to switch 2 and again for switch 2 to switch 1 (for 2-way syncing). You would only need to do this 1-way with Zigbee bulbs though.

1 Like

Just to confirm, using the binding app I posted above correct? There’s not a default Hubitat or Inovelli I’m missing right?

1 Like

Dumb question, will this sync LED bar via one way binding?

I’m 99.9% certain, yes - it’s the app you linked above… Eric’s screenshot is exactly what the app looks like for me in Hubitat. I’ve prepped 3 things in Hubitat so far to get ready – Eric’s Blue driver (loaded via Hubitat Package Manager), and the binding driver & app code you listed (manual import of code for each).

Sounds like I won’t need the binding driver, but that’s easy enough to back out anytime later.

1 Like

If you have multiple bulbs with binding set up from a single switch, the LED bar will be in sync from the switch.

If you are doing a 3-way with two switches then you would need to bind the bulbs to one switch and then bind the two switches together in the way I mention above.

2 Likes

Can confirm all of this is true. During testing I had 2 set up and bound and they tracked each other flawlessly (after development, in the beginning they definitely did NOT, props to the manufacturer for figuring it out for us!).

2 Likes

Can direct association work if the Hue bulbs are paired to the Hue Hub and the Blue switch is paired to Home Assistant via ZHA? I’ve always preferred the functionality of the Hue hub vs ZHA for my bulbs.