SmartThings Edge Drivers: LZW30-SN, LZW30, LZW31-SN, LZW31, LZW36, LZW41, LZW42, LZW45, LZW60, VZM31-SN, VZM35-SN, VZW31-SN, VZM36, NZW30, NZW31

Bry,
That’s why you get the big bucks. I loaded the black series driver and it went as it should. Your assessment based on the box it came in was correct–thank you for helping.

2 Likes

I messaged ST support again and they have no ETA on when it will be fixed, but that they are aware of it. I have been working on a workaround, but it is not ideal. If they don’t have any more info by next week I might just implement it. It essentially will delay any on / off commands by a second or two to wait to see if any other capability commands come in. If they do, then it will cancel the on / off. Not ideal if you actually do want to do an on / off command with a notification, but I am not seeing any other workaround. SharpTools may be the best solution as I have no idea how long ST will take.

You could probably work around it in smarthings but it would take extra automations to do it.

The particular one I discovered it on (my dining room light) I use the notification to tell me both doors are locked and the garage door is closed. I guess I could add “if dining room light is on” as a pre condition, and both locks are locked and garage door is closed, change the notification to green and turn the light on. Which would not change the state of the light because it was on, then you could copy the routine with a precondition of “if dining room light is off” and all the above conditions are met, make the notification green and turn the light off, again not changing the state of the light because it was already off.

But honestly my workaround right now is, create the automations and then call my son and have him log into my account and deselect that option on his android phone.

1 Like

That is actually a really good idea as a workaround. Hope that SmartThings gets it sorted out soon.

2 Likes

Smarthings allowing preconditions in the routines really beefed up the capabilities of the platform.

1 Like

Added the NZW30 & NZW31 to the edge drivers. Should be for the regular version, the version with scenes, and the toggle version.

4 Likes

I just set up virtual devices in Smartthings. I had to go to Menu > Labs > Virtual Switch > + > Then name it and select a location. I created one for the light and one for the fan. Then I had to go to Automations and create 2 automations for each virtual switch. When virtual switch is on, turn on light (or fan), and the same for off.

This works but has many cons:
-2 Virtual Switches and 4 Automations required
-Controlling the light/fan from the buttons on the wall or through the actual device in the app doesn’t sync with the virtual device, so if you press the button on the wall the Virtual device won’t recognize that it is on and can’t be used to turn the light off unless you press on and then off on the virtual device to turn it off.
-The Fan + Light in Google Home needs to be moved to another room, otherwise it combines the virtual switch and Fan + Light (yes, more of a Google Home problem because it merges lights in a room).
-Virtual buttons down allow for dimming, so no fan speed or dimming lights, just on or off.

It works, but isn’t ideal. Needless to say I’m looking forward to enhancements to this driver. Also, thanks for dropping the NZW30 and NZW31 drivers this morning.

I just saw this post SmartThings Edge Drivers: LZW30-SN, LZW30, LZW31-SN, LZW31, LZW36, LZW41, LZW42, LZW45, LZW60, VZM31-SN, NZW30, NZW31 - #194 by MarkTr322 and realized that the virtual edge drivers might fix some of my problems, so I’ll try out some of those.

I’ve tried this setup and unfortunately I cant seem to get it to work correctly. I have 3 LZW36 (fan+light) switches that are no longer able to be used outside of SmartThings because of this.

Creating the virtual devices and setting up the SmartLighting automations works fine. But no matter which ‘device’ (no label, switch1, switch2) I select to control from the LZW36, it controls both fan and light together.

Wondering if anyone has been able to figure this out?

Also, is the edge driver source code available publicly?

I found the same thing setting up a “Sync with Switch” automation on a different fan+light. I think SmartLighting has a bug with using Sync for multi-endpoint devices, and maybe that’s just an uncommon enough use case that it hasn’t been addressed. I stopped fooling with it because I don’t actually need it, but it would be worth submitting a bug report if you’re able.

I created virtual switches and then just created 2 routines per switch. If office fan virtual switch is on, turn on office fan, and then another for if office fan virtual switch is off, turn off fan. Then did the same for the light. Then the virtual switches pulled into Alexa, made sure that I had them named office fan and office light and they work fine. Make sure that in the options for the fan switch you don’t select main switch as the switch to cycle with the virtual switch.

I noticed yesterday that this driver stopped working with my LZW30 switch. It stopped updating status and routines that used it asna trigger stopped working. I switched it to a third party edge driver, and it works with that one. I’ve tried switching back to this official one several times, and the problem returns every time I do.

Have you tried rebooting the switch by pulling the air gap or throwing the breaker?

Yes, I did, but that didn’t solve it. Neither did rebooting the SmartThings hub, nor performing a Z-Wave network repair/rebuild. Eric just responded elsewhere that he found the error and is pushing out a fix tonight.

I pushed out the fix but it might take a few hours to reach your hub. SmartThings changed a value of a constant in their system and it is probably going to break multiple drivers (unless they roll it back). I have removed the constant from our drivers for now.

3 Likes

Any update or progress for LZW45 light strips? Is there a way to configure effects with edge driver?

Eric, I’m having the same problem with the new edge driver for the First Gen switch (NZW30).

I’m sorry, I am not seeing the error with that driver and I don’t use the same constant variable with the first gen drivers. Can you show me the screenshot of the driver page for the device so I can see the details of it?

Boy - I was not expecting this. Turns out that I just spent that last 3 days reloading my complete Smartthings configuration so that everything would be on edge drivers, and when I got to reloading my routines to control the LED light notifications - I was running into this problem . I started at the top of the thread and kept thinking I was dreaming beacuse I wasn’t seeing what others were seeing. Little did I know it was because of my iPhone. Unbelievable. Just spent the morning updating the firmware, thinking it was the problem. Just dug out one of my old Android phones so I can run the Smartthings app and set up the routines for LED control.

In my move to the edge drivers I could not get Notifications to work on my Red Dimmer Switch’s.
For my migration I deleted everything (all drivers, smartapps, hub, etc.). Conducted a factory reset on the Smartthings hub and all the devices that had a procedure to conduct a factory reset (including all Inovelli devices), then reinstalled everything. This took better part of one day. After it was done the notification feature on the Red Dimmer switches did not work. The Notification feature worked on my two Red on/off switches. The edge driver for the Red Dimmer switch is - 2023-01-25T04:50:50.45263647. The edge drived for the Red switch is - 2023-01-25T04:36:24.278657753.
Just by chance I found out that after the factory reset on the dimmer switches the Notification duration setting must have been set to zero seconds. When I ran a Scene to set the Notification duration to some value (like 24 hours) the Notification feature started working.