Thread 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project Jonagold (White Series)

1. Even with shared revision-b hardware, I expect a new sku when matter/thread (white switch) firmware is factory installed. Just logistically easier to order, track, ship.
  2. Unclear if rev-b with factory installed Zigbee (blue switch) firmware will get different sku than rev-a blue switches. Not sure this is necessary.

EDIT: Nanoleaf introduced a thread/matter Switch and dimmer at CES for those interested.

1 Like

That roller wheel for the dimmer though! Reminds me of a mouse stuck on the wall :rofl:

2 Likes

I might be mistaken but I thought that one of the features with thread was that the switches could talk locally to each other. So what features you install on one switch would be able to transferred to the other switch in that network. Trying to read up on these things but gets a little wordy at times

Peter

From what I can tell the big draw for Matter would be the ability of a controller to share its devices with another controller. For example, you could run Home Assistant and have Alexa for voice controls on the side.

1 Like

Apple user here. There are literally thousands of people on the homekit reddit waiting for a nice looking Matter & Thread compatible dimmer. I’ve been checking your site for months hoping you’d release something since I love the look of your dimmer.

If you had a Matter/Thread switch available today at $50 I would order 65, right now.

I currently have about 25 Leviton D26HD-2RW Decora Smart Wi-Fi Dimmers. I completely stopped buying smart home devices last year in anticipation of the coming release of Matter & Thread. I’ve bought a couple of Eve switches to test out but frankly I don’t like the look of their product and they don’t offer a dimmer yet.

Please take my money!

Hubitat is starting with some HomeKit integration. Not exactly Matter (yet), but a step in the right direction.

1 Like

I also have my Inovelli switches controlled with Apple HomeKit through Hubitat. It’s still in Beta, but I haven’t run into any issues.

1 Like

I do this now with Hubitat

1 Like

Whole point of Matter/Thread integration is NOT needing another hub or device to manage things. So I will wait for official support.

Hmm I thought an Apple TV or HomePod acted as a hub/border router so it’d technically control the device . I guess I don’t see any difference in having another device to control switches as I don’t think all features written in the firmware will be able to utilize notifications at the individual LED or animations from say HomeKit scene setup.

3 Likes

Correct, an Apple TV or a HomePod does act as the hub/border router, and does control the device(s). I already have them and they serve a useful purpose beyond just being a hub/border router in my home. Adding Hubitat into my existing setup does just what I said above, it adds another hub or device to manage things, which I don’t want.

Almost all of my Apple Homekit devices have their own app, which adds additional functionality, I’m just fine with that. I just don’t want additional hardware sitting in my house somewhere to interface with it.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a plan for Inovelli to develop an app for the additional features for those who want to use HomeKit as the primary controller. There also won’t be any way to update the switch firmware from HomeKit.

Time will tell. We’ll see what the MG24 chip brings, but I’m not expecting any excitement with the Matter capability for a bit. There’s only one @EricM_Inovelli ….

2 Likes

Regardless, I don’t need it. I just want a nice looking dimmer that supports Matter and Thread. Simple as that.

@Eric_Inovelli Are the current 2-1 Blue switches for delivery in March upgradable over the air? Or will you still need a physical connection?

Still need a physical connection unfortunately. We are just now starting the MG24 testing. I would anticipate the 2-1 to be converted over in the summer as the manufacturer also had a ton of MG21’s left over that we agreed to use to be good business partners.

4 Likes

Will Inovelli make software available for self-described “power users” who are willing to sign away their warranty to attempt the necessary hardware connection to upgrade their existing Blue-series switches to Matter/Thread switches?

1 Like

This is not an official answer. But I bet any freely available FTDI flash program with a cheap FTDI usb-to-Serial adapter will work.

1 Like

Matter/Thread on the move with Home Assistant. also mention they are open sourcing their automated build scripts to create reproducible firmware builds for Zigbee/Thread sticks based on SiLabs chips.

EDIT: I could be mistaken, but Home assistant appears to be using the same soc Silabs EFR32MG21 as is in the Blue switches.

1 Like

One of the most interesting parts of Matter, coming from the ZigBee world, is that it uses the same ZigBee cluster library and communications, but in top of ipv6 on thread or WiFi or Ethernet.

So hopefully firmware wise, very little will change, except configuring the underlying is (freeRTOS? Zephyr?) To use matter instead of ZigBee, and the upper layer firmware bits should be mostly unchanged.

Hopefully this means the experience with things like Alexa and Google home should be about the same as they are with ZigBee, and similar with smart things (and hubitat and HA, as they get matter support), which will be able to use the fancy features.

Sadly, it means the fancy features are still locked to the power user hubs, unless inovelli or someone else makes a configuration app to configure them over matter.

Any updates on the possibility of the white series coming to life?