Trigger: Unknown trigger (after extended power outage); can't get them to appear

Hey guys,

I recently came home from a vacation which involved a power outage that took place a few weeks back. Now, all of the Inovelli Blue switches we have installed aren’t working because Home Assistant can’t see the action triggers (up single, config double, etc).

I’ve tried the usual “press all of the action combos and check if they show up” but they do not.

I’ve tried running ‘Reconfigure’ on a few but that didn’t help. I’ve also tried restoring to a backup and that doesn’t help either.

Any other ideas?

After pulling the air gap and taking as many actions on the switch as is reasonable, I managed to get only config_held and config_release to appear.

The rest don’t seem to want to come back.

After multiple restores, it eventually worked…

Anything that could be done to improve this process?

After updating to the latest Home Assistant Core, the same issue appeared rendering all of the switches unusable.

I’m currently trying to restore backup after backup in hopes that it fixes itself but so far nothing.

Anyone else ever run into this?

[edit] Once again, after several restores eventually it started working again – very annoying though.

I have not run into this, are you using ZHA or Z2M?

I’m running Z2M.

You could try using @rohan’s blueprint he shared here or alternatively I saw this one referenced as well in a different thread.

The main difference between the blueprints (and the reason I built mine) is that mine doesn’t depend on device actions being available (since it listens to MQTT directly) not does it require turning on the legacy sensor entity in Z2M. It also can be used for multiple switches in the same automation because of that.

1 Like

I’ll give it a try.

Unrelated but can your blueprint be updated to expose a “initial button press” (triggering on press, not on release)? It’s something I’ve been asking for for a long time but am not confident we’ll see it in the actions list anytime soon.

I’m not aware of the switch reporting that currently. Until it does, the blueprint won’t be able to support that.

Yeah that was my guess. I’ll continue lobbying for it.

Alright, your blueprint worked (at least it seems to be working perfectly even when the actions are missing from the switches using the normal method)!

I’ve got 2 of the new Blue Fan switches that I’ll be installing soon – Do you know if your blueprint works on those as well or will they require a new one?

I don’t have any of the fan switches, but assuming they have identical scene support and naming, they should work the same in the blueprint.

It’ll be a little while before I get around to installing them but if nobody else chimes in here then I’ll follow up with a confirmation once I know either way.

I don’t know if you have a thread somewhere for your blueprint so just going to discuss my issue with it here…

It doesn’t seem to be “multi-threaded” in the sense that it can’t handle processing two actions at once. Do you know of a workaround for this? For example, if you set “up 1x” to do something and then you add a “delay of 5 minutes”, pressing “down 1x” or any other action won’t work until that 5 minutes is up.

The way I had it set up before worked fine but doing it through the blueprint (with all of the button actions in once place) doesn’t seem to be able to handle it.

Is the solution to create multiple configs w/ the blueprint for the same button?

[edit] I feel like even doing it that way will still end up with the button w/ the delay on it being disabled until it’s done but in my case might be fine.

[edit 2] I did try it using multiple for the same switch (but for different button actions) and it seems to be working. It would be nice to be able to have them all together in the 1 blueprint config though… I’m using the “scripts” option for these so I don’t have stuff manually duplicated everywhere but perhaps there’s another way to achieve this where a long-running script/set of commands isn’t “blocking” the other actions on the switch while using just the 1 blueprint config?

Ah yeah, this is currently blocked in the blueprint (looks like an oversight on my part).

Changing https://github.com/rohankapoorcom/homeassistant-config/blob/master/blueprints/automation/rohankapoorcom/inovelli-vzm31-sn-blue-series-switch.yaml#L131 mode: single to mode: parallel what you want. You may also need to set the max: XYZ (replace XYZ with the number you want to run at once) property with the total number of commands you expect it to run at once.

See: Automation Modes - Home Assistant for some more details.

Great, thanks!

One other thing is that I notice the switches using the blueprint have tons of 'mqtt topic zigbee2mqtt/XXX Switch" entries in the logs, every few seconds for each one.

This doesn’t happen when using the switches the normal way. Any ideas what those are? It’s triggering some kind of action on the switches so the “last triggered” time on the switches is now only up to a few seconds old rather than being when they were actually interacted with.

Do you have a screenshot? I’ve not seen that before.

‘Switch Action: XXX’ are the names of the Automations that use the blueprint.