Two different 4-way wiring questions with LZW31-SN dimmer switches

Hi there:

I’ve tried looking at various discussions and applying comments to my scenarios, but I can’t make sense of them :frowning: Both areas (porch and hallway) have currently just dumb switches and I want to add LZW31-SN dimmer switches and ideally don’t want to fry them because I’m wiring something wrong.

Either way, any help how I could use those red dimmer switches correctly, using one (preferred) or multiple (one instead of other brand aux switch) for each location would be greatly appreciated. I’ve managed to get two other ones in a 3-way and single-pole installation working and I really dig the look of these switches.

Porch:

Hallway:

Thanks a bunch in advance for any help/advice you can offer.
Cheers,
Patrick

Question regarding your drawings.

In the first dwg should I assume the Line and Neutral come into the middle box and the neutral on the left box is simply a connection?

Kinda of the same question on the 2nd but line and neutral enter into the left box and the middle box is just a wire-wire connection?

how I could use those red dimmer switches correctly, using one (preferred) or multiple (one instead of other brand aux switch) for each location

I’m not 100% sure of your ideal installation(s). I believe you have enough wires to:

1. 3 Red dimmers
  2. 1 Red dimmer and 2 dumb switches
  3. 1 Red dimmer and 2 Aux switches

** these would communicate by association, not done this myself but it is a valid option.

What would you prefer.

Hi John, thanks for that lightning fast reply.

in the 1st drawing (porch), the middle box has a ton of other dumb switches, so this is a bit simplified. But yes, there are neutral and line come into the middle box.

If I remember correctly (I’ve taken too long to post the questions since I took my notes…) the left box has the neutral white wires just tied together and they go to neutral in the middle box. The box on the right side I’m not 100% sure anymore if the white wire goes to line in the middle box, but I think that’s the only thing that makes sense.

On the 2nd drawing you’re again right. Fun fact, the middle box of the 1st drawing is the same box as the left box of the 2nd drawing (there are four different switches there overall).

If I can get by with just using one red switch and two dumb ones (for each dwg) would be best for my wallet, otherwise I might consider going with 3 red switches so they at least look the same (at least for the 2nd dwg).

Patrick

I understand. Two Questions:

In each scenario where would you like the Red dimmer to be? And is the a must or is there a 2nd choice?

Have you considered Aux switches? A red dimmer and two Aux switches will give you on/off and dim in all the locations. You can consider an Aux switch as kind of a remote control for the Red dimmer. It actually acts like a remote paddle.

I have considered that, but wasn’t totally sure if that’s what I wanted. At least for the porch (1st drawing) I don’t even need the dimmer functionality, I just want to be able to turn on/off from switches in all locations. If I really need at least two aux switches to make that work, at least I’ll know that for sure.

If found this statement elsewhere:
“…If you can connect Line, Load, Neutral and 1 Traveler at main Zwave 3-way switch and 1 Traveler and Neutral at the second switch, then you should be all set. If Line is at main switch and Load at the second switch, and there are 2 traveler wires, then use one of the two traveler wires to bring Load to the main switch, as the Zwave 3-way only requires 1 traveler between the 2 switches. …”
Does this sound correct? Do the Aux switches require just one of the travelers and neutral? I would have thought they need constant power to work. Is the idea that you wire through line from the main (red) smart dimmer using one traveler line or would you still connect to the load of red dimmer?

I just came across this help article. It sounds like I could use extra red dimmers instead of two Aux switches so the looks are exactly the same. Not sure of the downside (besides cost) compared with two aux. If I understand correctly, the additional smart switches would just need to have line and neutral for this to work, right?

I think my ideal scenario would be like this:

Drawing 1 (porch): Red series in the middle box (where there’s now travelers going to left/right boxes, 2nd choice would have red series in the left box.

Drawing 2(hallway)
Red series in the middle box, 2nd choice in the left box.

If I went for Aux switches, the Leviton DD00R-DLZ Decora Digital/Decora Smart Matching Dimmer Remote seem to be a good choice, isn’t it?

Aux switches require only 2 wires. That’s what makes them attractive when wires are limited.

You could use all Red Dimmers with scene capability. Only one would be wired to the load. The other two would be associated with the load connected dimmer by association. This means the command will not have the delay of going through the hub. You could also use Red On/Off switches in one or all 3 locations.

I think it is not likely you can get away with one Red dimmer /switch and the others dumb 3-ways.

If you configuration in mind I could try to see what the wiring might look like.

[quote="coqui, post:5, topic:2794"]

If I went for Aux switches, the Leviton DD00R-DLZ Decora Digital/Decora Smart Matching Dimmer Remote seem to be a good choice, isn’t it?
[/quote]

I don’t know if the Decora will work. The text suggests it wouldn’t.

John

Aux switches require only 2 wires. That’s what makes them attractive when wires are limited.

Yes, I’m starting to appreciate that… I’ve also pretty much figured out that I won’t be able to get by with the dumb switches in there, which is ok in the end.

I should at least remove the face plates another time to make sure I didn’t mess up the drawing :slight_smile:

I don’t know if the Decora will work. The text suggests it wouldn’t.

Why do you think that? I saw that suggested on this thread and figured it should be ok (without scenes). I like the looks better than the GE ones, that’s why I had hopes on these.

Only because the Amazon text seemed to suggest such. I really don’t know anything about the Leviton switches.

I would imagine it would be easy enough to purchase some and test them on the bench with an Inovelli dimmer / switch. You would have to do it quickly to be within the return window.

I had an old extension cord I sacrificed. I cut it in half and used the plug side to bring power to the switch and the receptacle to connect to a desk lamp. I use blue masking around the switch screws just in case I get careless.

I had an old extension cord I sacrificed.

Hmm, that’s a nice idea, I definitely have some old ext. cord in a corner. That definitely beats playing around with the connections in the actual boxes. I’ll probably give that a try.

Since it might help somebody else, I’ve now found that this site has great summaries of 3/4-way installation options in a variety of non-obvious wiring scenarios. It points out when additional aux switches really are required and when one can continue with just dumb switches as well.

1 Like

DIY Smart Home Guy is a legend. Love that guy!