UPDATE: Dimmer Switches Update Thread - Production Starts Oct. 4th!

Any chance there will be an early black friday sale when the dimmers come on amazon.ca? :wink:

@Eric_Inovelli - If it was, I wouldā€™ve said two switches! :joy:

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli I am thinking I need a lot of dimmers/switches for my house. Maybe 30-50 - need to confirm count. Any deals beyond Black Friday.

Make sure you donā€™t expect to replace all 3 in a 3 way with Inovelli dimmers.

1 Like

Not something I planned to do myself but on behalf of the previous poster, Iā€™ll bite. Why? :slight_smile:

The Inovelli will work with auxiliary or existing dumb switches in the 3-way. Only reason I could see to do more than one on a circuit would be if you wanted the scene control at each location, but is it necessary? Could the ā€œsmartā€ switches fight each other?

You can use multiple switches, but in most cases, itā€™s not cost effective. However, if you want scene control, consistent paddle behavior, or LED notifications because the main switch isnā€™t in the preferred location (something Iā€™m running into now), itā€™s worth considering.

@Eric_Inovelli - Correct me if Iā€™m wrong (hopefully I am). With the dimmers you could get a 3 way to work. I donā€™t know if either of the Erics have tried yet. Eric did post a way to wire it with the configuration settings to disable one thing and enable switch association. However, I donā€™t think it will work for the on/off unless you have a neutral in the box. The on/off needs a neutral no matter what. Also, I want to add if the 3 way does work, I donā€™t know if itā€™ll work for the 4 or 5 way setups. The Inovelli switch doesnā€™t support the 4 way inputs required like a 4 way switch. Granted there are some smart people out there, so maybe thereā€™s something to make it work.

The route I am going is the Master switch is an Inovelli and I plan to add Aux switches for the slave switches. The reason Iā€™m going this route is 1) similar paddle switch feel (momentary style), 2) not a bunch of re-wiring (connect a neutral and traveler; wire nut load from master switch to light), 3) cheaper (barely), 4) when I sell the house and the next home owner opens up the box, there isnā€™t a non-typical wire setup and potential shock hazard, 5) I believe some aux switches support multi-tap, so some functions can still be triggered, 6) can support 4 and 5 way configurations.

(in before Eric to say that the LED dim level will not synchronize between dimmers with the current firmware).

Sounds like it is mostly that it would be a bit of a waste (and not cost effective) because you have dimmer capable of adjusting power that will never use that function.

The ideal solution is a lower cost Inovelli remote ā€œdimmerā€ that only has the Z-wave functionality and not any wasted power dimming hardware inside.

I think you may have an incorrect assumption here. Aux switches arenā€™t what supports multi-tapā€¦itā€™s the master switch that needs to support it from the Aux. The Aux merely send a signal to the master and then it needs to act on that.

I note this as Iā€™d asked in another thread about scene support from Aux switches with the new dimmers. It does sound like there is the possibility to add this via a firmware update.

I do agree though, that Aux switches seem to be the best option when doing 3/4-way setups.

3 Likes

@feens - I definitely understood that. The ā€œpotentialā€ is there; Homeseer Companion Switches ā€œSupports Multi-Tap event triggers of the connected load switch or dimmer.ā€ I remember seeing your request, and hopefully Inovelli can have the engineers integrate ā€˜sensingā€™ required from the momentary switch. If they get it to work, I would be ahead of the game. My luck, Inovelli will reserve it for the 700 series chip for V2 switches :-.

1 Like

No, youā€™re not wrong ā€“ right as usual brotha!

You can technically do this, but youā€™d need a neutral wire for sure in each of the boxes as there would be no power from the load as youā€™d technically be disconnecting from the load in the way the schematic is setup.

And as @LongDono mentioned, the LED bars wouldnā€™t sync, so honestly, the user experience wouldnā€™t be that great outside of the double/triple tap and notification capability.

All great reasons.

Yeah for sure ā€“ we definitely are working on this. Problem is that we canā€™t seem to get it slim enough right now, so we had to put it on hold until the manufacturer works through it.

Yeah, we need to analyze this a bit more ā€“ Iā€™ll add it to the list of upgrades to the Gen 2ā€™s, then likely make the decision to just add it to Gen 3ā€™s simply due to that last sentence lol. Kidding, it would be nice to get it in there ā€“ only issue I foresee is that weā€™ve essentially maxed out the chip space on the 500 Series. But, we could always see how much optimizing we can do with the code.

Either way, weā€™ll definitely explore this option as it would be a game-changer and I didnā€™t know you could do this with HomeSeers when we were testing it out.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been really busy at work which has delayed my response. I have ~60 light switches in my house of which ~10-15 are in a 3/4 way setup, ~25 should be dimmable and 20 are switched across 4 floors. This includes outside lights as well, which are switchable from inside the house. I did this count in my head and will need to verify the counts. The problem I run into is everyone forgets to turn off the lights.

With people in and out of the house all the time this becomes a nightmare. I canā€™t count how many times the kids donā€™t turn off the lights in the basement and I realize it as I am going to bed, which requires me to walk down and then up 2 flights of stairs to go to bed. Normally Iā€™d have them do it but I wonā€™t wake them to do it.

I could likely cut back somewhere but long term this is what I need. Could you imagine the cost of I went with Lutron.

Glad you saw that :slight_smile:

Product is live on Amazon.Com Website for the US Folks who didnt pre-order:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S1BMMGH/ref=twister_B07XMF1HBN?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Go Get Em!

1 Like

I just got two red series. Every time I configure minimum dim level it worked for a while then then it start lighting multiple colors then stopped working.

I also I want to configure the device to be non dimmable, non neutral. trying to set the device to min dim level to 45% it it keeps on lighting rainbows. The light buld is 30 watt like this one https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-120-Watt-Equivalent-Cool-White-Circline-T9-CFL-Light-Bulb-FC30-CW/301140976

The description in that link says itā€™s ā€œNon-dimmableā€.

yes, i just want it to be able to turn on / off with this switch.

Hey @bphan - totally understand what you want to do. Unfortunately, even if you want to mimic an on/off light, the physical bulb still has to be dimmable.

In other words, you cannot put a Non-Dimmable bulb on a dimmer switch.

This is likely why youā€™re experiencing the crazy flashing :confused:

Thanks for the clarification Eric.