UPDATE: Dimmer Switches Update Thread - Production Starts Oct. 4th!

Hey @rvenable, @Courtney_Inovelli will shoot you a PM shortly!

No, the Black Friday deal is for the dimmers and bulbs only in the US. More to come on Canada within the next 24hrs!

she already did
thanks

Yes. Iā€™ve posed this before but itā€™s been overlooked due to my long post and other excitement here. :smile:

The scenario: An Inovelli on/off switch used as an aux/remote switch with an Inovelli dimmer

• A. Inovelli on/off switch can work as an aux toggling power on/off
    • If no, what if you were to disable relay on the on/off switch and use your hub to toggle the dimmer switch on/off?
  • B. On/off switch can also send the paddle press/release events to the Inovelli dimmer (or your hub) to allow for dimming level adjustment
  • C. An Inovelli on/off switch cannot be used in a 3-way scenario with a dimmer. One could use an Inovelli dimmer as the aux but with the noted lack of LED bar synchronization (which would be annoying).

For those of us without GE/HomeSeer aux switches and just dumb switches, it would be nice if all of the devices could feature the Inovelli style with LED, although obviously the paddle on GE/HomeSeer would look quite similar.

Thanks!

Thanks @harjms! I always appreciate the help from you guys. Iā€™ve purchased over 30 switches between V1 and V2 and am always pleased with the the product and the service I receive. @Eric_Inovelli, you have a great team, canā€™t wait for whatever new products you guys put out.

1 Like

@LongDono -Ahhh gotcha. Thatā€™s above my knowledge unfortunately. I donā€™t think so, but honestly I donā€™t know. I scored Aux switches for $2.55 minus 10% for military discount at Loweā€™s. I just wish they had ten. I only got four :pensive:.

:open_mouth: The GE Add-on switch is $33 CAD ($24.83 USD) on Amazon Canadaā€¦ Nice job!

Hi again,

well itā€™s Black Friday today and I donā€™t see a sale for these dimmers yet, nor do they yet appear on the amazon.ca website.

I do see however that you have now updated your web checkout to serve Canada, so I went ahead and ordered the 6 I need this morning through your website at what I presume is their regular price, and I look forward to installing those when they arrive.

That ā€˜air gapā€™ thing you have on all your switches so you donā€™t need to reset a breaker if something goes wrong is a stroke of genius by the way - if you didnā€™t apply for a patent on that yet you really should - brilliant!

Martin Francis
<><

The air gap did not originate with Inovelli. I can find references to air gaps in GE z-wave switches dating back to 2009.

A. is listed as one of the options in the manual and I currently use it w/ 2 On/Off switches (with one acting as an ā€œAuxā€ switch). I expect itā€™d work the same way with a dimmer and an On/Off but not 100% sure. To accomplish this, you donā€™t even need to go through the hub. You can add the dimmer to the association group of the on/off switch and then toggling would work fine. You would need to disable the relay like you said.

B. could potentially work with a modification of the device handler (thereā€™s been some talk about that in other threads) but w/ SmartThings, itā€™d be painful to use because of the delay. Right now, you canā€™t use association groups for the paddle press/release (itā€™s one of the features requested in the request thread) so you canā€™t communicate directly with another switch. Besides, I believe such an association would only send a basicSet command so still wonā€™t work.
Some say it works fine with Hubitat going through the hub to dim a smartbulb. If thatā€™s the case Iā€™d expect that with Hubitat, itā€™d also work fine to send the commands to the dimmer (after modifying the device handler) but Iā€™m not 100% sure on this.

Regarding A, yeah, Iā€™m hoping the Inovelli On/Off would allow dimming control, then I would use Inovelli On/Offs instead of GE or HomeSeer Aux switchesā€¦ The manual does not go over this one, so not sure if not supported, not tested, or just not thought ofā€¦

For B, Iā€™m using Home Assistant, for which everything is local and very fast, but I doubt this would be supported. . Obviously any delay while dimming, if routed through a hub, would not be good so association group support is probably the only option for this to work.

Thanks for the detailed answer!

the GE dimmers with an AUX switch will allow you to dim the lights from the AUX switch. An inovelli dimmer with a standard on off switch in a 3-way configuration will not allow you to use the standard switch to dim the lights.
I canā€™t say what will happen if you have 2 inovelli dimmers in a 3-way. I suppose it might work but thatā€™s a lot on money and it might damage the switch thatā€™s not doing the dimming.

Two Inovelli dimmers with relay disabled on second dimmer is supported but the LED dim level will not be synchronized.

If the relay is disabled on the 2nd switch, how would the 2nd switch dim the lights?

So I just set up the scenarios you mentioned.

As I said, A. works just fine using association (so no need to go through the hub). My On/Off has its relay disabled and the dimmer is actually close to the load. When I hit paddle up on my On/Off, it sends a on (basicSet) command to the dimmer and the dimmer turns on. Same with the paddle down.

B. doesnā€™t work using Hubitat. I now have some On/Offs that work with Hue for dimming. They use a StartLevelChange and StopLevelChange when the paddle is held and released respectively. While the Hue supports both LevelChange commands, unfortunately the dimmer doesnā€™t. As such, holding up the On/Off doesnā€™t brighten the light bulbs.

BTW, since HE is local, the dimming of smart bulbs is very fast. In fact, itā€™s only slow at the beginning (because of the Inovelli firmware that includes a decent amount of delay) but in stopping dimming, it feels pretty much instant.

1 Like

By using z-wave association, see the last page in this guide: :slight_smile:
https://inovelli.com/wp-content/uploads/LZW31-SN/Wiring-Guide-Dimmers.pdf

Ah yes, forgot the dimming association class was exposed. That should work then but like you said, the LED of the switch with the disabled relay would stay constant

the red dimmer is very frustrating.
Iā€™ve ordered 1 back switch and 1 black dimmer to test.
if these are as flaky, they will be the last inovelli products I buy.

I have a year old inovelli switch that I installed last Christmas and it has fail completely.

the black version of the dimmer does the same thing

and the constant error of disconnecting and re-connecting.

Iā€™ll test it with a neutral wire and if it does the same thing Iā€™ll let the people on the Vera community know that the ā€œinovelli dimmers do not work with Veraā€ .

you guys and Vera need to get together and work this out if you expect to sell them to Vera users.
I bought this on amazon and have yet to write my review, soā€¦

1 Like

so far the black switch has not dropped from the network. the dimmer continues to drop and return.

rvenable do you know if the switch thatā€™s disconnecting is further away from the z-wave switch? Is it behaving worse than any other z-wave in-wall switches nearby?

Asking because I find that a z-wave switch installed far away from the mesh and in a gang on an outside wall is far more likely to have problems. I had connectivity problems with one of my initial installs until my z-wave mesh was more robust.