VZM31-SN w/VZM36 Press-Hold Event Loops w/Home Assistant

Hello! I have a VZM31-SN in tandem with a VZM36 Fan Controller. I found a good HA Blueprint to help with the actions for setting up automations, (fxlt/zha-inovelli-vzm31-sn-blue-series-2-1-switch.yaml) and everything is working well except for the press-and-hold to change the brightness of the light. Rather than looping the command until I release the button, it seems to only issue a single command to the light like a button press. I was somewhat expecting the switch to resend the command while the button is down, but that it probably not necessary (and probably just noisy) and I just need some help crafting an automation for this event.

Thanks!

I don’t believe you need a blueprint to do what you’re looking for. You can just use a device action as the trigger -

There are separate events for press/hold per button.

“Up” hold issues a single event, which turns the brightness up a small amount one time. From a user perspective, it behaves like a multi-tap action, rather than running until the button is released.

I’ve gotten closer with this:

repeat:
  sequence:
    - device_id: <REDACTED>
      domain: light
      entity_id: <REDACTED>
      type: brightness_decrease
    - delay: "00:00:00.2"
  until:
    - condition: template
      value_template: "{{ trigger.event.data.command == 'button_1_release' }}"

This almost works, except it seems to keep going after the button has been released.

Are you doing that repeat with the hold event as the trigger?

Out of curiousity, is there a reason you’re looking to do this with an automation instead of bindings?

No particular reason. I actually wasn’t aware of bindings.

Unfortunately, my RPi SD card just died and I foolishly didn’t backup the system… it’s going to be a while before I can try this again, as I am probably going to have to reset every device. :sob:

I wish you the best of luck in rebuilding and hopefully it goes quicker than you think!

Okay, I got it back up and running. :sweat_smile:

Do you have any recommended resources/reading for learning how to setup bindings? I played with it briefly, but I quickly realized I don’t know what I am doing with that yet.

The simplest option is going to be using group binding and Inovelli’s docs should have you covered.

The main thing is that you’re binding from EP2 on the switch to either EP1 (lights) or EP2 (fan) on the module.