VZW31-SN stuck after firmware update

Home Assistant finally showed an update available for my VZW31-SN switches, so I started updating them one at a time. I got 4 or 5 of them updated successfully, and then hit one that appears to have gotten stuck.

I can ping it, but it won’t operate the light, and the LED indicator is a solid green.

I’m not sure what that means, or what is safe to try at this point. Will flipping the breaker to reset it risk bricking it? Do I need to do a factory reset and re-include it? Is there a way to get the update to succeed?

Try power cycling it if you’re sure the update isn’t still in progress.

Update definitely finished, according to Home Assistant.

Okay, I power cycled the room, and the switch is functioning again. Though it’s still reporting the original firmware version.

I’m not sure if I should risk trying to update it again. I don’t know what happened the first time and what to do differently.

Thinking more about it… I do have Firmware Progress LED enabled, so the LED bar was slowly filling up green as it downloaded. The solid green I saw could have just been the download reaching 100%, rather than being a specific indication of error. And it just got stuck before installing.

Still doesn’t explain what happened or if a second try would be more successful, but explains the firmware still being the old version.

I have had experiences where the new firmware wouldn’t show up until the switch was re-joined to the controller. There might be an advanced command you could send to get the updated version, but I have no idea about how to do that.

I decided to try re-running the upgrade this morning, and this time it was successful. Reports the new version like the others now.

No idea what happened the first time, but glad it’s all settled now.