When does one what to enable LocalProtection? What does it exactly allow?

I am unsure of what LocalProtection does or when to use it.

If a Blue Series 2-1 switch is integrated with Home Assistant, and someone physically presses (or holds) a paddel up/down, would this feature bypass the local control of the lights from the switch and hand off control of its lights to Home Assistant?

For example, if LocalProtection is Enabled, pressing a paddle on the switch would NOT locally control the lights but instead send the trigger to Home Assistant, which in turn could run an automation that includes the Blue Series switch, and the actions of the automation then can control the lights on the switch?

In summary, HA is in total control of the switch lights?

Thanks in advance,

1 Like

Sounds like you got it… We have a bottom-of-stairs switch that’s wired to a dumb can light on the upper floor we very rarely use. So that Blue has local protection enabled so we can use a paddle-tap to instead turn on/off other smart lights up there instead.

I programmed the Blue to turn on the can light with a paddle hold instead.

It’s a trade-off in my case since we lose all lighting control up there if my hub is down, but that’s never been an issue. If my hub goes down that bad, I can always factory reset the Blue back to a dumb switch (and that’ll at least give us dumb control of the can light).

Thanks for confirming that. My use case is to create a light group in HA, with some lights connected to the Blue and some LEDs connected to a Shelly 2. I created a HA group to control them, but quickly noticed that the local controls of the Blue and HA controlling the light group were fighting with eac hother for control at times. Enabling LocalProtection is perfect! Problem solved. Thank you for your reply.