White Series LED Color Changes

According to the red-series-vs-blue-series-vs-white-series-which-is-best-for-you The white series switches don’t allow for Hub parameter changes. Is the LED color considered a “parameter”? What is defined as a “hub”? Smart Things type of hub or HA? If not HA how will LED color changes be applied?

EDIT: It’s an endpoint.

The device that you pair the switch to. SmartThings, Hubitat, HA.

My guess is if the hub can’t change the parameter you will change it using a quick tab sequence on the switch.

Well, I guess that chart is outdated or color is not a parameter and HA is not a hub. I just stumbled on a video from Eric Hines showing the color change applied through a phone app as well as activating the LED bar to change color with a notification. Good to see these being done with software.

I believe they are exposing the LED bar as a separate light in matter to work around the issue of parameters not being changeable.

1 Like

Yeah, this is one of those vernacular situations where it’s technically not a parameter because it’s not a setting that can be changed easily in Apple Home or HA, but rather, we had to create another endpoint and you have to change the color via a color wheel in the app (or set an automation to trigger the notification).

So, it kind of is like a parameter in that you can change it, however it’s not a traditional parameter in that you can input a value to have it changed, but rather a workaround.

I’ve updated the chart for clarity (thanks for bringing it up!):

1 Like