Z-Wave 800 Series 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project Phoenix

I just installed my first three of these tonight. I use Hubitat. Two of them are configured as dimmers. In the State Variables, one of the dimmers shows the dimmingMethod as Leading Edge. The other dimmer shows it as Trailing Edge. They both are using (and the state variable is properly reporting) a neutral conductor. They are both set to No Aux for parameter 22.

Anything else that affects this?

I installed 3 of these last week, and I have a zwave 800 stick installed on Home Assistant on an extension cable to avoid interference.

One of my 3 phoenixes is dropping off of the network regularly, despite being only 15 feet from the hub (and being directly connected to it, according to the network graph).

Is anyone else seeing nodes going dead with the Phoenix?

Try doing an Initialize then Configure All and then refresh the browser page

1 Like

Hi, I just installed my first Phoenix and everything went super smooth, but I wanted to mention that the website pages for the product still need some love. The manual still isn’t available at https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/inovelli-device-manuals - I needed it to find out which parameters controlled the LED bar brightness for ON and OFF and I had to look inside the descriptor on the Z-Wave alliance GitHub repo to do that. Also, the UL and Z-Wave certification documents are missing from the product page (worse, there’s placeholders link to the LZW31-SN product instead of the correct VZW31-SN). Other than that I have to say I’m impressed. I’m not the most handy person, but the entire installation experience was super easy and configuration in Home Assistant was a breeze. Great job team!

1 Like

Yeah, documentation is a work-in-progress. You have to know the secret handshake.

Here is the manual and the parameter list, for anyone else trying to find it:

2 Likes

random question: i originally installed my first switch as a dimmer, but then decided to move it to another location and use it as on/off instead. i excluded from the zwave network, used the config button to reconfigure to on/off, and then re-added…but it’s still showing in home assistant as a light rather than a switch. is there a way i can get it to show as a switch instead? or (perhaps a better question), is there any potential issue that could arise if someone clicks the light and sends it a dimmer percentage rather than just on/off?

either way, i’d rather have it show up as just an on/off switch rather than even have the potential confusion…

It always identifies as a light.

Home assistant told me there’s a firmware update for my switch today- neat! From 1.0.0 to 1.2… but coming here, I wasn’t able to find any notes on the firmware. Can anyone point me to what’s new, improved, different, etc? Haven’t updated myself yet since everything is working well as-is, but was pleasantly surprised to see the update show up as a notification in the front-end of home assistant.

1 Like

ok, what about the second half of my question then - is there any harm if someone ends up sending it a dimmer percentage while it’s in on/off mode?

Anything other than off sends full power

1 Like

perfect, thanks.

edit: to satisfy my OCD, i created a template switch to track the state of the actual light. that way i can add the template switch to my dashboard rather than the dimmer switch, and it’ll always send full on / off without me having to worry about seeing a dimmer pct where it doesn’t make sense.

here’s the config code, in case anyone is interested…

switch:
  - platform: template
    switches:
      yard_light:
        friendly_name: "yard light"
        value_template: "{{ is_state('light.yard_light', 'on') }}"
        turn_on:
          service: light.turn_on
          target:
            entity_id: light.yard_light
          data:
            brightness_pct: 100
        turn_off:
          service: light.turn_off
          target:
            entity_id: light.yard_light
1 Like

Hi, I hope this is the right place for this question. I recently installed one of these and noticed that the Hubitat driver doesn’t seem to have an option to add child devices. I have many of the previous generation dimmers (LZW31-SN) and I use the LED Color child device in many Hubitat automations. I was hoping to use this VZW31-SN in the same way. Is this just a function of the drivers being new and not complete for this model? Or is there a better way I should be doing this? I realize that I can change LED Color via the parameters, but it seems much better for automation to have that child device. Thanks for any help!

With the enhanced functionality of the Gen3 (VZx devices), it was becoming too cumbersome to use child devices for all the possibilities with the new Gen3 devices (e.g. separate led bar colors for on/off in addition to separate on/off colors for each of the individual leds). At a minimum it would be 16 child devices per switch :face_holding_back_tears:

Going forward, the setParameter() command is the preferred method since that does not require the creation of additional devices and will work with all parameters as well as any new ones that may (likely) appear in the future

2 Likes

Thanks - that makes sense. I like the child devices because I can put them in groups and control colors across those groups quickly. But it looks like the advanced features of the VZX devices may change how I want to do things anyway. All settings on these things are really cool!

1 Like

I might be missing something but you can group the parent devices and perform a setParameter() command on the group to achieve the same result without needing child devices

Yeah with the amount of functionality in these things, nothing else comes close :grimacing:

Anyone have trouble getting these switches to work in a 4-way configuration with Aux switches?

I literally replaced my 2nd gen red series dimmer with this 3rd gen one, same wiring and the aux switches are now not controlling the newly installed red series dimmer.

These are my settings in SmartThings, was I supposed to make any other adjustment to the settings?

Let’s boost these numbers! What a testament to the hard work everyone in this community has put into this switch. Nice work guys, right now we’re looking at #1 - but it’s close :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Eric,

Every time you guys come out with a new product, it leads the pack in Hubitat’s end of year voting. Great job! Keep up the awesome work!