Z-Wave 800 Series Button Controller + Dimmer Switch | Project Walt

I would do two gang for everything and then a single gang mud ring for those that you only need the single gang. That was you can more easily expand if needed.

With a two gang mud ring, current Inovelli switches and dimmers are incompatible side-by-side. I assume it will be the same for these.

The bigger issue is that I’ll be finishing before the devices are available and don’t want to be redoing drywall after finding out I need to switch some one-gang boxes to two-gang. That would still apply if I need to switch mud rings.

Oh right, I believe I was the one who actually discovered that. I used a file and just took a millimeter off the mud ring, and then they fit. Not an ideal solution, but something to consider.

Hello,

I preordered this several years ago, are those preorders still being tracked?

2 Likes

We’ve applied an update on the hardware for this one (and the mmWave switch) that should help with the incompatibility with mud-rings. We’ve rounded off the corners a bit and also made the sides a little more flush (the metal plating). It fit on the mudring I bought from Lowes, but it really comes down to how many wires you have in the back of the box and how much room you have.

We even off-centered the ground-screw for the Canadian gang-boxes that were interfering.

So, while I can’t promise it will fit in all scenarios, we did make some adjustments!

Yes, we have those order numbers still. If you want to shoot @Kaleb_Inovelli a message, he can check your order number!

Any updates? For how delayed this project is, I would hope for updates more than once a quarter - if even that. :slightly_frowning_face:

Probably best to keep an eye on the zigbee version as both of these threads may not get updated at the same time.

2 Likes

Project Update: Design & Tooling Status

  • Updated STP file has been provided addressing the inconsistent backlighting.
  • Design modifications are complete.
  • Tooling processing has commenced with a scheduled completion of November 30th.
  • Confidence expressed in resolving the outstanding issue backlight issue.

Highlights

  • Completion of design modifications.
  • Delivery of the updated STP file.

Risks/Blockers

  • Additional tooling revisions have severely impacted the overall project timeline.

Timeline

  • Design modifications completed by October 27, 2025.
  • Revised tooling to be completed November 30, 2025

Disclaimer: This update was generated automatically using AI to summarize recent internal project discussions. Personal names have been omitted. It may omit details or misinterpret context; please reply if clarification is needed.

2 Likes

Tooling Update and Schedule Check

  • Inquiry made regarding project tracking and adherence to a deadline.
  • Update provided on the status of new tooling testing.

Highlights

  • A deadline of November 30th is being monitored, with a request for positive progress.
  • New tooling testing is scheduled to commence the week of November 24th by the manufacturer.

Risks/Blockers

  • Uncertainty surrounds the outcome of the new tooling testing, with a hope for successful results.
  • Potential for further schedule impact if tooling testing encounters issues.

Timeline

  • Deadline: November 30th
  • New tooling testing: Week of November 24th

Disclaimer: This update was generated automatically using AI to summarize recent internal project discussions. Personal names have been omitted. It may omit details or misinterpret context; please reply if clarification is needed.

2 Likes

There is no update this week, however, we should be receiving feedback on the tooling that finishes on the 30th.

1 Like

Any updates on the tooling? Hopefully it has been greenlit!

Any update on if the tooling went well? Been waiting on these for a while but might end up having to go with a alternative.

2 Likes

As far as I’m aware, they are still working out some issues with the engraving on the paddles and how the light comes through. Its bright in some areas and dim in others, so they are still messing around with that last I heard - which was on the 18th of December.

3 Likes

Project Update

Highlights

  • Button samples with transparent materials are now the top priority.
  • A laser for engraving has been identified and tested with existing paddles.
  • Tooling for buttons is reportedly “getting very close to success.”

Risks/Blockers

  • Button processing is complex, and tooling issues have caused delays.
  • Current button tooling has dimensional issues: three buttons are 0.15mm larger than standard, causing crowding and loss of pressure after coating for backlit testing.
  • Backlight transparency is a critical concern that needs to be tested as early as possible.

Timeline

  • January 18th: Tooling company expects to complete fixes for button size issues.
  • January 30th: Samples with more transparent materials, including painting and engraving processes, are expected to be completed.

Decisions

  • The button controller has been designated as the #1 priority now that mmWave has completed.

Action Items

  • Determine if backlight testing can proceed now with improved transparency, or if it must wait for the new tooling.
  • Test the identified laser on the button controller once the official paddle is available.
  • Provide a finding report once button samples are completed.
  • Clarify plans for laser engraving content customization for future products.
3 Likes

Any updates? Really hoping to get my hands on a couple of these this summer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey @Courtney_Inovelli! You were the last one to give us any kind of non-bot update on this. Any chance we could bother you or someone on the team for an update. It’s been a month since @boojew poked the thread.

Would love to just be able to make plans for the right equipment in our homes. Excited to see this come together.

Appreciate any info or status that you can give us!

You should follow the zigbee thread for this.

All the updates are happening over there.

No update at this time unfortunately. It was originally moving forward for a B2B company and that ended up getting squashed a month or so ago because the manufacturer could not get it up to the standards they wanted. We are planning on still developing it anyway for our own use, but we are scaling it back a lot and it will not have as many options as it did for the B2B company. No dates for anything right now though as we had to start a completely new B2B project that is taking up a lot of our time.

5 Likes

What does that mean for all of us that pre-paid nearly 3 years ago?

2 Likes

3? Try almost six!