Zigbee 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project New Horizon (Blue Series)

Project Update: We’re working on Group vs Individual binding right now. The challenge is honestly the language barrier, which I think we broke through this morning. The biggest issue was the engineers were trying to figure out why we needed group binding for 1-2 smart lights. They didn’t realize you all were crazy and in some cases may have large networks where every optimization in networks speed counts. The other issue was they were concerned about bulbs being out of sync if someone remotely controls a bulb that’s inside a binding.

In other words, if you have 5 bulbs bound to a switch, if someone remotely turns on one of the bulbs (and the other four are off), now your group is out of sync. However, this is ok, and is normal behavior. The next time someone presses up on the switch (and an on command is sent), the remaining four bulbs will turn on and they will be in sync again.

So, I think we’re in the clear – it’s just a matter of implementing it now.

__

Outside of that, the back of the switch has been designed (I’m hoping I can get the multi-color on the back, but if not, it will just be all white):

I’m also working on the printed manual right now, which is my least favorite thing to do lol.

Each section will start with a blue page and will have a QR code (and URL) to the digital portion that lives in the Wiki.

Rather than folded paper, it will be a mini-booklet (trying to give off that, “polished” Inovelli vibe). I like how it’s turning out.

10 Likes

I think it is everyones least favorite thing.
I know I hate it.

Have you concidered doing a video? Or could that get into legalities showing a person how to do electrical work?

1 Like

It would be very much appreciated if someone had a video showing how to wire a 3/4/5 way switch with one of these. My pockets will thank me in forgoing an electrician.

1 Like

I will draw up some 5-Ways, but in the meantime curious to hear what you think about the schematics shown here:

It’s hard to create videos for wiring bc there are so many different scenarios, but I tried to draw before and after schematics (and I’m hoping, since this is digital, we can continue to add to the schematics).

Do the schematics make sense or is there anything I can do to make them more user friendly?

1 Like

Honestly, I think your schematic pictures are excellent and much better than videos

Update: Parameter list has been released - 2-1 Parameter List

Over 60 different parameters!

I’m working on a more user friendly way to display these but unfortunately Discourse (what the community is built on) is somewhat limited in showing data tables. I wish there was a way to freeze the top row.

If anyone has a better way, I’m all ears. One thought was to create something like the Bulb Compatibility App, where you would be able to click on the product and it would show all the parameters, but that will take a bit for me to learn. I also think we may run into the same issue where it’s still hard to read on mobile.

4 Likes

I think it has a typo…

if you double-tap down on the Aux/Add-On switch, the 2-1 switch will send a, “Button 2 - Pushed”

Double-tap Down sends a “Button 2 - Held” event

3 Likes

Fixed, thanks! I’m sure there will be quite a few mistakes – the beauty of hosting it digitally and having so many different eyes on it :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Curious if you were ever able to snap some pics or video of what it would look like without the diffuser.

1 Like

I thought @Eric_Inovelli posted one without the diffuser. Maybe on one of the other posts?

1 Like

Looked back and there were only pictures of it showing diffused multi led, nothing without the diffuser yet. I suppose I could pull the diffuser out of one of my Red series dimmers, but not sure how easy that is.

I can snap some pics/vids tomorrow when I’m back at my house :slight_smile:

Remind me if I don’t post anything by the evening!

1 Like

Not the same. The addressable LEDs make a difference.

very easy … it just pulls out. But, of course, the Reds don’t have individual LED color control. you’ll see the individually leds all the same color thought

@feens - here ya go!

I don’t have the ability to change the individual LED’s yet bc we haven’t updated the device handler, so it just shows all the same color right now, but once I get the individual LED’s I can take a few pics.

7 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli, sorry if I missed a response to this somewhere in the thread… Have any of your beta testers tried using an blue series switch as a repeater for a Aqara/Xiaomi sensor?

I just bought my first house and I would love to buy several blue switches to use in combination with the Aqara leak detection and other sensors. Either way, looking forward to when y’all open preorders.

Yes, @chack has been using a couple of the contact sensors with no issues :slight_smile:

Model - MCCGQ11LM

Anything I’m missing @chack

@GeorgeBurdell - any specific ones you want us to test?

1 Like

That’s the important part :wink: I’ve been happy with the performance. Joining them through the switch was super quick and easy and they’re very quick to update.

If it matters, this is on Home Assistant using ZHA and a Conbee II coordinator, though like I said the sensors were specifically joined through the switch so I’d expect similar behavior regardless.

2 Likes

Just checking in here and I’m excited to see the progress on this product. I was just wondering if there has been any confirmation yet on the control of smart bulbs as well as sending hub events at the same time for scenes. The use case here is that I currently have red series z-wave switches controlling my Hue lights and this causes a couple (noticeable) milliseconds of delay while the command goes from switch–>hub–>hue lights. I was hoping the blue series would do something like: switch → hue lights + hub so that it could reduce this delay but also send button event to the hub for other automations.

Thanks!