Zigbee Fan Canopy Module | Project Cheryl

Hmm what is the binding app?

It may have been mentioned in here but didn’t see it, so forgive me if so;

I have the original lzw36 z-wave combo, that like many others speed 2 relay conked out. I’ve been living with only low and high speed waiting for a replacement to be developed and released. Unfortunately z-wave no longer is a priority with zjgbee and matter taking the lead. So 2 questions,

1. Is there any ideas as to if/when a z-wave version will come to light?

2. If I bought this zigbee version, can I control it through automation from my habitat c7 hub using the original lzw36 in wall switch? I believe so but my worry is I have no other zigbee devices in my home and worry about coverage. Prior to switching to the lzw36 years ago I had the “king of fans”/wink zigbee canopy module and had to stick a few peanut zigbee outlet plugs around my house but even then, failed often. Wife approval factor cratered. Can’t have that again. Barring that, could I achieve full seamless control using the original lzw36 switch or will their be trade offs and lost functionality?

Good morning all,

Received my units and test-installed one of them with the 2-1 Blue Switch combo. Same questions as everyone I guess. Not sure what the new firmware will solve and what will remain a limitation. Such as:

• How do I make the switch LED, which is bound to the canopy module, reflect the correct state of the > light… as in when I turn it off from home assistant, the LED on the switch should go to the “Off” mode.

On top of that - I was only able to do on/off; was not able to get the switch to do any dimming.

Thank you!

I had to do this to enable dimming on my 2-1 switch:

Hold the down paddle, tap the config button 3 times, release. LED bar will flash orange.

What I was told is, basically, “don’t do that”. That is, once you have the switch bound to the canopy module light, all control should go through the switch. So if you want to turn of the light from home assistant, you turn off the switch, not the canopy module light.

After I adjusted my thinking to that paradigm, and renamed the switch and canopy module to make it easier (i.e. the switch is now named “LR Fan Light”), things worked quite well. Yes, there is still a possibility of things getting out-of-sync, but as long as I don’t try to control the canopy module directly - and why would I? - everything is happy.

Not sure which hub you have but looks like instructions for SmartThings here:

I have Hubitat and followed these instructions:

Ah yeah, this makes perfect sense

1 Like

hmm I have a Smartthings hub… maybe I can pair the things to smartthings, follow instructions to do the bindings and then pair them back with Home Assistant. For the time being I have a couple of HA automations that seem to be doing the job… but the goal here always was direct bindings… so looking forward to how to make that happen.

Brilliant! I totally agree this is a good idea.

I’ve noticed one more oddity that I’m not sure how to troubleshoot. Seeing the Output2 (fan output) as a dimmer causes the fan to switch off anytime I try to select a speed (and basically being unable to go to any speed other than the default low one). Changing it to on/off causes it to come up at full speed but I cannot control the speed.

Using Zigbee2Mqtt - but can’t really see any other relevant settings.

Support ticket opened as well - but if anyone has any insight until then; I’m all ears. So far both modules I installed are behaving this way, so I don’t think it’s a one off.

I came here to post essentially the same thing.

I can use the quickstart setting and my fan will go High for a moment before going back to Low, so I know it can achieve High.

Changing the light brightness also changes the reported fan speed in Home Assistant, but only when I bind my 2-in-1 switch to the fan canopy. Bound or unbound, the actual fan behavior is unchanged.

Is there an unreleased firmware update we’re waiting on or something? From everything I’ve read, it sounds like my setup has been tested… Zigbee2MQTT

Unfortunately the Z2M production release has a bug in the converter for the fan canopy module. Running the latest edge/develop release includes the bug fix.

This fix will go out as part of the stable Z2M release in April, but for now edge is the only way to get it. This was added to the Getting Started guide for Z2M for this canopy module, but it looks like those pages on the help site were never published.

That seems to have solved my issue!

Greatly appreciate the information.

This fixed my issue as well!

For those hesitant to switch to the development branch (like I was), it was very easy. Just installed the edge addon, copied my serial line into the new config, stopped z2m release, started z2m edge. No repairing, everything works.

I set up the Canopy Module with two Blue 2-1 switches, connected to HomeAssistant through ZHA. I’m able to control the basic fan and light functions through HA, but many of the attributes either don’t appear or are listed in ambiguous ways in ZHA. Additionally, like others, the bindings don’t seem to work the way I’d expect. Binding the on and off turns on and off both the light and the fan.

You’ll need to go into ZHA and create a group specific to the light endpoint (endpoint 1). Then you can bind the switch to that group.

1 Like

Aha! That did indeed fix my bindings. Thank you.

Just received mine two days ago(-ish I guess it’s now three) and got 1 of two installed tonight! A Spare switch is next when I get the moment to so I can bind the devices + send power continuously. The process was very painless, considering I had a cheap Tuya one installed already. Very excited to do the one for my fan in the office!

One thing I noticed that there seems to be two light devices when included through ZHA in Home Assistant. One definitely controls the lights, but not sure what the other does. Also, noticed that there is a slight delay in controlling the light only when turning off compared to other Zigbee devices. The fan itself doesn’t seem to have this problem, could it be because my lights are not dimmable? Either way, I’m so stoked that this is finally a reality, and that it’s installed in my home!

Here’s the binding instructions for Home Assistant:

I also received my blue canopy controllers last week! I installed one on the fan in my office and will debug the process there before deploying to places where my wife will be unhappy if things don’t work properly :rofl:

I am a hubitat user and am having several issues. I am trying to use zigbee bindings to directly connect a blue 2 in 1 switch to the blue canopy, and then also use the hubitat button controller to also control the canopy so I can toggle the light on/off and fan speeds from my desk with a sonoff zigbee button (which I already use to toggle office power on/off).

The canopy and drivers work great using commands from the hubitat web xface. But I can’t get the bindings to work at all. Tapping the switch paddles and config button do-nothing at the canopy. I’ve tried binding the switch to the canopy parent driver – that didn’t work. I also tried binding the switch to one of the child drivers for fan or light – that didn’t work either.

My button controller doesn’t work either. I have a button tap setup to toggle the light on/off. But it will only turn the light on. I checked events for the light and tapping the button always calls for “light on” even though the button is set to “toggle” a switch. Similar for the fan. Double-tapping the button should cycle the fan, but it only turns it on. I’ve used sonoff buttons around my home for similar toggling actions with various zwave and zigbee switches and never had a problem until using with the blue canopy.

Not sure if you referred to these, but here are the official help docs:

1 Like