Zigbee Wall Outlet | Project Jambry

Amazing initiative!

Have you considered having two USB-C ports instead of just the one?

Contractor special pricing lol

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. My point was instead of continuing to have two versions of the same product (i.e. Blue & White), why not consider having the capability to configure it at installation as one or the other using the config button. Since they use the same hardware, the only issue is providing enough space for the firmware that is not in common. The benefits of reducing SKUs and offering this unique capability would be worth the effort and additional cost.

I love this idea.

I just read the punchlist and I have one item. I dont think the LED strip would be a good item and might be a waste just making it more $$. Outlets are often hidden behind items, up high if using for holiday lights, etc. It would be good to have maybe a single RGB that can give visual notifications when setting up and troubleshooting. But the LED strip to do notifications and stuff like the switch seems a little overboard.

I was thinking something like “blink Blue” waiting for adoption. Flash green twice to confirm adoption complete. Blinking red if it cant connect to Zigbee host. Etc… just notifications like that.

One item that would be AWESOME!
Have a small PIR sensor (dont need distance, only like 2" to trigger it, hopefully they make one that is tiny and just a pinhole), next to the USB Outlet. And have the LED Shine WHITE when you are near it to give you light if you are plugging something in, in a tight spot or in the dark. Or use the LED to shine a value selectable to be used as a night light if the owner wants to.

I like this. I wish the switches and devices all were compatable with eachother and had the same chipsets. i.e. have Zigbee/Zwave/Matter/Thread chipsets in the products together. This way when I setup, I can chose if I want to setup with ZWAVE or ZIGBEE or Matter/Thread. Not having them all work at the same time, but just make it where the user can chose how they want to connect to their automation.

Reduce SKU’s and reduce production lines in the workshop. Not sure what that would do to price, but might make manufacturing costs go down as you no longer need differnet production lines and PCBs. So no more Red series or Blue Series or White series… just THE series :slight_smile:

It’s called the Purple Series, and will be launching in early April… :wink:

https://community.inovelli.com/t/z-wave-800-series-2-1-switch-on-off-dimmer-project-phoenix/11428/317?u=vreihen

1 Like

Exclusively found at www.thesmartestabode.com

1 Like

$50 for an indoor-only model… I’ll continue to wait

1 Like

An in-wall ZigBee outlet with (controllable?) USB-C, finally someone filled that gap, count me in as a beta tester!

1 Like

Im in love with this project. I cant wait.
Now, will the led strip be just one solid strip with the up and down controllable buttons? Or will each but have a controlled led?

Currently i have a smart outlet used just for notifications infront of my garage. Its 1 smart receptacle with a usb green light that shines when i have mail. And the other outlet has a zigbee relay that has a red led when the side gate is left open.
This would definitely make my area a bit less cluttered plus have a usb c port lol. Im so down.

1 Like

Z-Wave is the odd duck here, since it uses a different frequency (900 MHz vs. 2.4 GHz). That’s great for avoiding interference, but it does mean that it needs a physically different antenna and different components on the board.

Zigbee and Matter/Thread are both based on IEEE 802.15.4 at 2.4 GHz so it’s a “small matter of programming”. WiFi and Bluetooth are also 2.4 GHz, and the protocols are quite different, but there are chips that can support all of them with the same antenna (and in some cases multiple of them at the same time).

Oooo, use the LEDs as parking notifications to tell you when you have pulled the car in far enough into the garage.

1 Like

I take it by the wink you realize it was an april fools joke? LOL. I thought it was real at first then I thought…“wait a second…” :smiley:

1 Like

Agree’d, and NO USBc… :slight_smile:

Hopefully Innovelli can make the TR doors better then everyone else’s… I had a new home built in 2019 and the new NEC since like 2016 requires all TR outlets now. So the entire house, you have to wiggle the plugs to get the to slide in. Gotta get the outlet all worked up and hot and bothered before she’ll let it slide in… :joy: :rofl:

But no one makes a decent TR outlet that doesnt absolutely suck. I like that they are std now everywhere and the TR outlets are a better grade then the cheapo $0.25 ea outlet bin.

True, the 900Mhz will need a second antenna on the PCB. Not sure how that works with room and of course that takes more caps/res/IC/room, and all they packed in here looks like it will be a tight fit already. But would be a cool thing if they can.

I’ve done a bunch of projects with building ESP32 boards (not jsut the solder on boards, but the asctually SOC IC and built everything around it) and some other RISC-V circuits, but havent done any ZWAVE/ZIGBEE controllers, so not sure what it takes until I look at the documentation. But the two antenna’s is true and wonder what interfierance that would be, but you setup to use one or the other, so they dont use at the same time… might be able to combine a PCB antenna to have 900Mhz and 2.4Ghz together.

I don’t know how this became a one-size fits all discussion. Once again, my point was to combine the Blue and White series lineup since they use the same hardware. IMO, Z-wave is on the way out and WiFi is used in commodity products. I have no interest in either of these.

Do you think this could be done via energy monitoring?

Not sure, I did ask for surge protection (not sure if suppressor is the same thing?)

Perfect, this is what I was looking for, thank you!

Interesting, ok, I’ll ask them if they can look into this – we will for sure be using the MG24!

Yeah definitely – the LED Bar will be split into two separate indicators. The left side will show if the top outlet is on, whereas the right side will show if the bottom outlet is on.

Definitely :slight_smile:

This could be your room with all Inovelli switches and outlets!

Haha, I think we could work something out!

Considering it, but it will really depend on what can be fit on the PCB and how the aesthetics look. I should know more once the engineers lay out the concept.

Yeah definitely – I’d love to combine SKU’s where applicable – makes it easier to manage and also we can invest more in one SKU. I’ll have to see what the firmware guy says. We always get pushback that the space is limited with all the features. I’m sure as the chips improve, we can move towards this direction.

Yeah I definitely see your point and we had talked about this internally too. I think what swayed us to go with the full LED Bar was to match aesthetics of the switches, but more importantly, the LED’s are very inexpensive, so it didn’t make that much of a difference in cost (this is also why we opted to keep the long LED Bar on the switches for the new On/Off switch too).

Ooooo, yes, let me see what this would do for the cost, but I love this idea. We have this feature built into our mmWave switch, so I can’t believe I didn’t think of this for the outlet. Nice add!

Lol, you punk haha #neverforget

It will be rated for outdoor use :slight_smile:

It will be one solid strip with up/down buttons, but you will also be able to have individually controlled LED’s like our switches so you could totally consolidate everything!

The middle part has a USB-C, sorry if it wasn’t clear.

LOL, yeah I hate TR outlets and feel your pain. I’ll definitely make sure you don’t have to take your outlet out to dinner first before she lets you get to third base :rofl:

8 Likes

I’m totally pro LED strip. I absolutely love it. I have an “emergency mode” where when fire is detected they flash red, CO is yellow and gas is orange. The more LED’s the better!! I’d love to incorporate the outlets into my automations I have for my light switches :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I would really love something like this. I don’t think I could use it anywhere, and also I am using primarily z-wave for my protocol of choice. Though I can use Zigbee if I wanted to. I prefer to stick to one protocol primarily, but good on your keeping innovating.