Zigbee Wall Outlet | Project Jambry

That would be great and should be possible as long as the USB power monitoring is on the table.

I will definitely use the LED as an indicator for my alarm system. Apparently, all the indicators I currently have still are not enough to prevent the kids from opening the door when the alarm is armed.

2 Likes

That and the LEDs will be lower and not as bright for those who have issues sleeping with the switch LEDs on (not me).

I was really hoping to have the LED outline the entire decora switch so we could get fully functioning aurora going.

2 Likes

You know, I always thought I had a lot of light switches in this house. But that was only until I started counting plugs. Ugggghhhhh Iā€™m going to need a second mortgage for this one I think. LOL Are you going to sell them in 50 or 100 packs? Asking for a friendā€¦

Amazing initiative!

Have you considered having two USB-C ports instead of just the one?

Contractor special pricing lol

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. My point was instead of continuing to have two versions of the same product (i.e. Blue & White), why not consider having the capability to configure it at installation as one or the other using the config button. Since they use the same hardware, the only issue is providing enough space for the firmware that is not in common. The benefits of reducing SKUs and offering this unique capability would be worth the effort and additional cost.

I love this idea.

I just read the punchlist and I have one item. I dont think the LED strip would be a good item and might be a waste just making it more $$. Outlets are often hidden behind items, up high if using for holiday lights, etc. It would be good to have maybe a single RGB that can give visual notifications when setting up and troubleshooting. But the LED strip to do notifications and stuff like the switch seems a little overboard.

I was thinking something like ā€œblink Blueā€ waiting for adoption. Flash green twice to confirm adoption complete. Blinking red if it cant connect to Zigbee host. Etcā€¦ just notifications like that.

One item that would be AWESOME!
Have a small PIR sensor (dont need distance, only like 2" to trigger it, hopefully they make one that is tiny and just a pinhole), next to the USB Outlet. And have the LED Shine WHITE when you are near it to give you light if you are plugging something in, in a tight spot or in the dark. Or use the LED to shine a value selectable to be used as a night light if the owner wants to.

I like this. I wish the switches and devices all were compatable with eachother and had the same chipsets. i.e. have Zigbee/Zwave/Matter/Thread chipsets in the products together. This way when I setup, I can chose if I want to setup with ZWAVE or ZIGBEE or Matter/Thread. Not having them all work at the same time, but just make it where the user can chose how they want to connect to their automation.

Reduce SKUā€™s and reduce production lines in the workshop. Not sure what that would do to price, but might make manufacturing costs go down as you no longer need differnet production lines and PCBs. So no more Red series or Blue Series or White seriesā€¦ just THE series :slight_smile:

Itā€™s called the Purple Series, and will be launching in early Aprilā€¦ :wink:

https://community.inovelli.com/t/z-wave-800-series-2-1-switch-on-off-dimmer-project-phoenix/11428/317?u=vreihen

1 Like

Exclusively found at www.thesmartestabode.com

1 Like

$50 for an indoor-only modelā€¦ Iā€™ll continue to wait

1 Like

An in-wall ZigBee outlet with (controllable?) USB-C, finally someone filled that gap, count me in as a beta tester!

1 Like

Im in love with this project. I cant wait.
Now, will the led strip be just one solid strip with the up and down controllable buttons? Or will each but have a controlled led?

Currently i have a smart outlet used just for notifications infront of my garage. Its 1 smart receptacle with a usb green light that shines when i have mail. And the other outlet has a zigbee relay that has a red led when the side gate is left open.
This would definitely make my area a bit less cluttered plus have a usb c port lol. Im so down.

1 Like

Z-Wave is the odd duck here, since it uses a different frequency (900 MHz vs. 2.4 GHz). Thatā€™s great for avoiding interference, but it does mean that it needs a physically different antenna and different components on the board.

Zigbee and Matter/Thread are both based on IEEE 802.15.4 at 2.4 GHz so itā€™s a ā€œsmall matter of programmingā€. WiFi and Bluetooth are also 2.4 GHz, and the protocols are quite different, but there are chips that can support all of them with the same antenna (and in some cases multiple of them at the same time).

Oooo, use the LEDs as parking notifications to tell you when you have pulled the car in far enough into the garage.

1 Like

I take it by the wink you realize it was an april fools joke? LOL. I thought it was real at first then I thoughtā€¦ā€œwait a secondā€¦ā€ :smiley:

1 Like

Agreeā€™d, and NO USBcā€¦ :slight_smile:

Hopefully Innovelli can make the TR doors better then everyone elseā€™sā€¦ I had a new home built in 2019 and the new NEC since like 2016 requires all TR outlets now. So the entire house, you have to wiggle the plugs to get the to slide in. Gotta get the outlet all worked up and hot and bothered before sheā€™ll let it slide inā€¦ :joy: :rofl:

But no one makes a decent TR outlet that doesnt absolutely suck. I like that they are std now everywhere and the TR outlets are a better grade then the cheapo $0.25 ea outlet bin.

True, the 900Mhz will need a second antenna on the PCB. Not sure how that works with room and of course that takes more caps/res/IC/room, and all they packed in here looks like it will be a tight fit already. But would be a cool thing if they can.

Iā€™ve done a bunch of projects with building ESP32 boards (not jsut the solder on boards, but the asctually SOC IC and built everything around it) and some other RISC-V circuits, but havent done any ZWAVE/ZIGBEE controllers, so not sure what it takes until I look at the documentation. But the two antennaā€™s is true and wonder what interfierance that would be, but you setup to use one or the other, so they dont use at the same timeā€¦ might be able to combine a PCB antenna to have 900Mhz and 2.4Ghz together.