Zigbee Wall Outlet | Project Jambry

What is the target price point? I know its very early in the process, but is there a target range?

I dont mind paying a small premium for a smart outlet (much rather to get rid of the outlet warts :slight_smile: ), but how much of a premium? But also that plays into the features that can be included.

A 4 pack of zigbee outlets is between $40 - $60, or was a couple months ago.

Plug in wall wart or in wall? The legrand in wall one i just purchased was $55 each

Edit: I suspect you got something like the sonoff s40 zigbee outlet. Two for $22 on Amazon. I have a few and they work great but i would like something cleaner.

4 Likes

Even the cheapest, featureless WIFI outlets are $20 or more, and Zigbee radio models would cost more. You found some for $10 - $15 each??? Can you post a link?

Holy!!! LETS GOOOO! This is incredible news. I would really love to be apart of the beta testing on this! I have beta tested for other smart home companies so I have experience in the area. Knowing Inovelli, this is gonna be epic!

1 Like

Dont want to deviate the thread to much, but here they are

https://www.amazon.com/THIRDREALITY-Real-time-Monitoring-Compatible-SmartThings/dp/B0BPY5D1KC

Yep, thatā€™s what @stu1811 was referring to. Just so itā€™s clear so that others arenā€™t confused, this project is about a fully-featured WALL OUTLET that gets mounted inside an electrical box (picture below). What you linked is a low-end wall wart. Both have their place, but thatā€™s not what this is about, and any price comparison between the two makes no sense.

Outlet Mockup

2 Likes

This sounds great, I have two items:

1. Please make this back wired like the light switches.
  2. I have upgraded most of my outlets to commercial grade in locations where plugs will be inserted and removed often. E.g. kitchen, garage etc. This is both for longevity but also because they seem to have a much better design for the tamper resistant mechanism that is less frustrating. It would be great if the mechanisms in the outlet were closer to commercial grade than residential. I suspect given this is also wet resistant you may already have considered this.

It would be nice to have power to the USB port controllable. Iā€™m currently using a WiFi switch and charger to turn off power when the level of my devices reaches 80%. Also, FWIW, Iā€™d keep the design clean and ditch the light bar. Another USB port would be nice, but donā€™t make it USB-A. The mixed ports are kludgy.

Any reason this canā€™t be a configurable Matter/Zigbee product?

2 Likes

Were the other outlets listed products? You can do anything you want when itā€™s not listed.

1 Like

Count me in as well!!!

I have a few outlets that I currently have plug in zigbee controllers, but hate the current limits of those. I run Z2M with Home Assistant, If you need any more beta testers, I have 2 spots that I use regularly with automations.

Wow, did not expect to see so much traction with this tbh ā€“ this is great!

Iā€™ll see what I can get away with ā€“ I asked for a fast charging USB-C, so at the very least youā€™ll have that.

This will be tricky due to space constraints. I opted for dual outlets instead of having 1 smart outlet, 1 smart USB because I figured the outlet would be used more than the USB-C (or at least have more applications).

I at least wanted to make it so that it could detect power so that automations could be used (ie: plug in your cell phone and a night time routine starts).

Yeah that may be what we have to go with ā€“ I did notice on my Lutron (non-smart) outlet, they may have discovered a loophole.

This is their decora style outlet and what they do is have a traditional style outlet with a decora piece that snaps on over top (this is also how theyā€™re able to offer different colors).

As you can see, they put the TR on the outlet underneath and then they put it on the part that is ultimately covered by the faceplate.

So, this could be an option. But yeah, if we have to put it on the front, I think having it molded in works.

Yeah, Iā€™ve seen that too ā€“ I opted for the middle so that there could be buttons on the side of the USB-C to turn on/off the outlet, but I suppose weā€™ll see if there are advantages or not when it comes time to layout the PCB :slight_smile:

I asked for Weather Resistant, so Iā€™m hoping that will work?

I want to say yes, but Iā€™m not sure. I think it needs a way to manually shut off the outlet in case your app doesnā€™t work for safety purposes.

Honestly, scenes is just a feature that is put on there because we already have the code written for it. I doubt anyone will use it ā€“ but hey, for me as the marketing guy, I get to say cool things like, ā€œtap your outlet button and activate a cool scene!ā€

Yeah, Iā€™m opting for as high as we can on this one.

Lol, now that would be interesting. It may be tricky though because oftentimes outlets are hidden behind things or covered up by larger power banks.

Ha, we need to figure out the dang switch first ā€“ but I can add it to the list for a future iteration. The challenge would be animals though since outlets are lower to the ground.

I like where your head is at though!

This is good to know! Thank you :slight_smile:

I appreciate you so much for this ā€“ sometimes I feel like weā€™d be having to sell these things for $200 based off some of the wishlist items!

Yeah this was me being ignorant to 277V ā€“ I removed it from consideration. The office I work in uses 277V (itā€™s been killing me to use a competitor smart switch) so I just figured the entire building was 277V, but the more I thought about it, all my appliances are 120V, so Iā€™m betting the outlets are on 120V, whereas the lights are 277V.

Yeah I have to credit @harjms for this ā€“ I didnā€™t even think of Weather Resistant, but he called it out and had me put it in there. I definitely have a ton of use-cases for outdoors and to have two outlets would be amazing. It will be a sad day when I have to retire my NZW97 (Dual Outdoor Smart Plug we used to make), but I like the cleaner look of the outlet vs a smart plug.

Probably around $50, but Iā€™ll know more once the pricing comes back. Iā€™d imagine the cost will be the same as our 2-1 switch because weā€™d be losing a MOSFET, but gaining another relay, so idk what the cost differential is between the two.

Yeah totally ā€“ Iā€™m not a fan of pigtails, especially when the device will be thicker than, ā€œdumbā€ outlets and some people have shallow boxes.

Actually, I hadnā€™t considered this, so thanks for brining this up. I will ask about a better tamper resistant mechanism and provide them with samples that are commercial grade!

I guess Iā€™d have to see if they can do Zigbee over Matter. I do plan on releasing a Thread over Matter version at the same time, I just havenā€™t opened up the project thread yet as Iā€™m not sure on the costs and I need to check the piggy bank to make sure we have enough to start both.

Good point lol. Hereā€™s one I found that is ETL listed (I havenā€™t verified it, but just going off their listing)

Hereā€™s one thatā€™s interesting ā€“ it has the words, ā€œControlledā€ on it rather than the mark.

https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-EWFWRCR15-W-BX-L-Smart-Outdoor-Receptacle/dp/B0CD9CGC7D

But, the more I look at it, all the reputable brands have the mark on it.

3 Likes

Iā€™m just curious how everyone feels about LEDs on an outlet.
Personally, I donā€™t see the need. Most outlets I where I would want smart control are buried in non-visible locations, or they are in a place where I feel the LED would be distracting and would just turn them off. About the only use case I could see is an on/off indicator the outlet, but I donā€™t see that as a big value-add feature.

Thatā€™s much different than a light switch where the switches are more optimally places for notifications LEDs and using them as a scene controller.

Am I missing something here? How would people envision using these?

That said, if everything else on the wishlist happens, I see this as a great product for rounding out Inovelliā€™s lineup.

3 Likes

For those of you that understand GaN vs PD ā€“ I read through this article that outlines a lot of the pro/cons, but one of the cons has me a bit nervous and Iā€™m hoping someone can help.

https://medium.com/@kalachadtsum99/breaking-down-the-pros-and-cons-gan-charger-vs-pd-charger-in-industry-none-59072f16d8ec

This is the part that makes me nervous:

So, what happens if a device is not compatible? Is that a fire hazard? I donā€™t particularly want to have all these disclaimers on the site either.

I love the benefits of it though!

I think the LED feature has a few different use-cases (I realize not everyone will use them):

• Another area to use notifications
  • Idk if this is possible, but it would be cool if the LED could light up Red while charging something and then turn Green when completed (in theory, I think it should based on energy consumption readings, but idk)
  • A visual notification on what outlet is on/off
  • A nightlight for kids rooms (the LED bar on the switches is surprisingly bright at max %)

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Oh and it matches the aesthetics of the switch (had to throw that in as the marketing guy) :rofl:

2 Likes

ā€¦including sticking a decal on a product claiming that it is listed. :roll_eyes:

I was thinking the same thing. The only visible outlets in our humble abode are along the kitchen counters, and that location requires either GFCI outlets or circuit breakers in our townā€™s electrical code.

Does an outlet need to have an air-gap provision like the switches? If so, the pushbuttons would also be dispensable for my usesā€¦

I have two feature suggestions in case they havenā€™t come up yet:

1. Many desktop computer UPS units come with an ā€œecoā€ outlet on them. When the load drops on that outlet (letā€™s say turning off a TV or monitor), the UPS will automagically switch off all of the other outlets in the ā€œecoā€ grouping (like the stereo sound bar) to save power.

2. Is there room in the case for a built-in surge suppressor??? :slightly_smiling_face:

re: ā€œGaN vs PDā€: I think thatā€™s a false dichotomy, and honestly that article looks like a bunch of AI-generated word salad (ā€œGaN Charger vs. PD Charger in Industry Noneā€???). ā€œGaNā€ relates to how the 120V power is converted to low-voltage DC, and ā€œPDā€ is how the device communicates with the charger so that the device knows how much power itā€™s allowed to draw and the charger knows what voltage to provide (if other than 5v). Perhaps what itā€™s referencing is that there are older pre-PD standards for higher power charging, and a newer charger is less likely to support them.

Thereā€™s no fire hazard or anything like that. If the device and charger canā€™t communicate, then the charger defaults to 5 volts which has been the USB standard all along, and the device only draws a small amount of current. It wonā€™t charge quickly but nothing will break.

3 Likes

For Zigbee vs. Matter/Thread, those are at separate layers of the stackā€¦

Matter is a high-level spec for smart home devices that covers what kinds of characteristics are available, how pairing is accomplished, that sort of thing. Matter can run over a few different lower levels: Bluetooth, WiFi/Ethernet, or Thread. Thread is a mesh network which is currently basically only used for Matter, but itā€™s a separate concept (you can definitely have Matter without Thread, e.g. with a Matter-over-WiFi device, and you can theoretically have Thread without Matter although thatā€™s rare).

Thread, in turn, is based on IEEE 802.15.4 (not a very marketing-friendly name!) which just specifies low-level details like how the device encodes bits and bytes into radio waves, and how different devices share communication time so they arenā€™t talking over each other. 802.15.4 is the part thatā€™s handled in silicon - for the most part, all the upper layers are software.

802.15.4 is also the base layer of Zigbee, which is a totally separate stack that encompasses similar responsibilities to both Matter and Thread - the mesh networking part as well as device provisioning and communication and so on.

If this switch is built using an EFR32MG24 chip like other Inovelli products, then it could support either Zigbee or Matter/Thread, but it could only do one or the other at a time (Zigbee in one mode, or Matter/Thread in another mode). This could be two separate firmware images, or maybe one shared firmware with some way of switching the mode.

2 Likes

Being able to control the USB output probably wonā€™t require any extra space at all - and definitely not a relay. The USB supply circuitry will already have the ability to cut off its output in case of overcurrent, so the ā€œenableā€ pin just needs to be connected to a GPIO on the microcontroller.

2 Likes

Personally, I would want at least a small on/off indicator LED on the outlet, along with the buttons to manually turn them on/off.

The main use case for me that comes to mind is when plugging something in: I want to be able to see that the outlet is on, and turn it on if not (or off if I want!) without having to pull out my phone/go to a computer.

I would also argue that removing/not adding obvious features just because a few people donā€™t see a use for them is a bad design philosophyā€¦ :slight_smile: I mean, you donā€™t want to add every feature you can think of, as things get cluttered/hard to use/expensive, but you also donā€™t want to strip it down to the bare essentialsā€¦

2 Likes