Zigbee Wall Outlet | Project Jambry

I don’t know how this became a one-size fits all discussion. Once again, my point was to combine the Blue and White series lineup since they use the same hardware. IMO, Z-wave is on the way out and WiFi is used in commodity products. I have no interest in either of these.

Do you think this could be done via energy monitoring?

Not sure, I did ask for surge protection (not sure if suppressor is the same thing?)

Perfect, this is what I was looking for, thank you!

Interesting, ok, I’ll ask them if they can look into this – we will for sure be using the MG24!

Yeah definitely – the LED Bar will be split into two separate indicators. The left side will show if the top outlet is on, whereas the right side will show if the bottom outlet is on.

Definitely :slight_smile:

This could be your room with all Inovelli switches and outlets!

Haha, I think we could work something out!

Considering it, but it will really depend on what can be fit on the PCB and how the aesthetics look. I should know more once the engineers lay out the concept.

Yeah definitely – I’d love to combine SKU’s where applicable – makes it easier to manage and also we can invest more in one SKU. I’ll have to see what the firmware guy says. We always get pushback that the space is limited with all the features. I’m sure as the chips improve, we can move towards this direction.

Yeah I definitely see your point and we had talked about this internally too. I think what swayed us to go with the full LED Bar was to match aesthetics of the switches, but more importantly, the LED’s are very inexpensive, so it didn’t make that much of a difference in cost (this is also why we opted to keep the long LED Bar on the switches for the new On/Off switch too).

Ooooo, yes, let me see what this would do for the cost, but I love this idea. We have this feature built into our mmWave switch, so I can’t believe I didn’t think of this for the outlet. Nice add!

Lol, you punk haha #neverforget

It will be rated for outdoor use :slight_smile:

It will be one solid strip with up/down buttons, but you will also be able to have individually controlled LED’s like our switches so you could totally consolidate everything!

The middle part has a USB-C, sorry if it wasn’t clear.

LOL, yeah I hate TR outlets and feel your pain. I’ll definitely make sure you don’t have to take your outlet out to dinner first before she lets you get to third base :rofl:

8 Likes

I’m totally pro LED strip. I absolutely love it. I have an “emergency mode” where when fire is detected they flash red, CO is yellow and gas is orange. The more LED’s the better!! I’d love to incorporate the outlets into my automations I have for my light switches :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I would really love something like this. I don’t think I could use it anywhere, and also I am using primarily z-wave for my protocol of choice. Though I can use Zigbee if I wanted to. I prefer to stick to one protocol primarily, but good on your keeping innovating.

I’m just going to float this out there with no real expectation…
I’ve always thought these were a genius idea. The nightlight under the recepticle.

I also think there’d be a big benefit to having dual USB-C connectors on there. Kind of like these. Although this one says 30w which is peanuts now a days. Need to be able to push like 100w+ for future proofing.

So what I’m thinking is combine these 2 ideas. The cover could be built-in. This would leave more room for the dual USB-C’s and the 2 LED’s could be split down the middle on the bottom with a nightlight notification effect in the firmware.

3 Likes

You could put an LED strip at the bottom then, that would be cool!

I think any significant power from USB C is gonna be tough to achieve. I’m just thinking how big the iPad 12 W chargers and the MacBook Air 65 W chargers are. I would love it, but I wonder if it’s physically possible and if so, at what price.

1 Like

There does seem to be a pretty significant jump in size from 45w to 65w. My Samsung 45w fast charger is no bigger than a standard usb plug. But laptop’s even with slow chargers at 65w still have a big brick attached to it.

Maybe stick to cellphone charge speeds and it could be 1 45w port and maybe 1 15w port to keep costs down.

I am really excited for this project! A couple of random thoughts:

• I worry a little bit about physical buttons on the switch for controlling the power state of the outlets. This seems like something that could be hit by accident by a power brick or something else large plugged into the outlet. I know I’ve done this with GFI outlets more than once…

• While the center positioned USB-C port is cool, I will say I have a couple of these outlets that have dual PD-65W USB-C ports positioned at the top of the outliet above the plugs and they are very nice as they are almost never obstructed by large plugs:

• I do think it would be cool/useful to be able to monitor the power draw (volts & amps) of the USB-C port.

Just some food for thought. It is going to be tough waiting for these to be developed. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is kind of what I was trying to describe above.
6a58a4048dea3e18659326b7bcac1c2265240c4a

But now what I see the top mounted USB-C ports I kind of like that better than center mounted too.

1 Like

With the middle-side-mounted you could get two wall worts on that are big, with the top mount you could only get one.

To anyone wanting more than 30w charging capabilities, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are only two in wall outlets I’ve ever seen with more than 30w. One with one usb-c and one usb-a. The usb-c charges at 60w and it comes in at $65+. The other is a Leviton that has dual usb-c ports that charge at 60w also and they are $80. Neither of those have any smarts besides charging. And they take up close to the same amount of space as a smart outlet does (if not the same amount).

3 Likes

After seeing the last few posts above, I have a concern that the proposed center-mounted USB-C port would be obstructed if two standard 3-prong (grounded) plugs were to be used in this layout…

Generally, yes, that is what happens. Usually on combo USB/Outlets you can use one or the other, but not both at the same time. These devices are less useful in places where you have something constantly plugged in, and more for locations where devices plugged in change frequently and you need the versatility. That said, USB and Dual Smart Switch in a single outlet is very interesting, and may warrant installation of these even in places where the USB is less useful.

1 Like

I am very curious how this will work. Wouldn’t the device need to contain two entirely separate copies of all the smart electronics if you’re doing dual smart outlets and breakable bus bars? i.e. two zigbee radios each controlling one outlet instead of one zigbee radio controlling two outlets?

Would it be easier to do a traveler terminal w/ aux or dumb switch like your Smart Switches instead of a breakable bus bar?

No, you wouldnt need double the electronics. Only a second relay pair to control the bus bar breaking for the second outlet. So its a tight fit, and going to be a challange. There may be a reason why all other manufacturers only have 1 outlet switchable via smart home tech and the second is always on.

But you just add a second relay and control another output for the second outlet/USBC and feed it back via the firmware. The microcontroller, via the GPIO pins is what will control the devices and pull the power info and such to be read in HA or whatever dashboard you use. the Zigbee/ZWave/Wifi chipset is only there to make the connection for that technology. The Microcontroller is what sends the data through it and recieves data through it. The chipset is mearly a bridge for the device to talk back and forth.

This led would work great for notifications imo as well

Really? That hasn’t been my experience… :laughing:

2 Likes

Ya, that makes no sense to me either. That’s a dumb receptacle requirement. This is already 2 separately controlled receptacles without any breakable bus bars.

One or two “traveler” terminals so an aux switch could control one or both of the receptacles maybe?

I stand corrected!

1 Like

I think it’d be extremely important to ensure it supports the 12V standard for USB-PD as well. Even if you had to keep a fairly low limit like the proposed 20W (so [email protected]). Supporting that 12V standard means that for the vast majority of devices on the market, you’d no longer need their wall wart. For all those devices that aren’t using native USB-C yet and still have barrel jacks with dedicated 12V wall warts, you could effectively replace those wall warts with a USB-C to Barrel jack adapter.

1 Like