Zigbee2MQTT Recommendation

The Texas Instruments chipset is very very stable, anything else pales in comparison.
Even the new stack Nabu-Casa is using is junk at the moment.

HA and Z2M is the best I’ve tested for larger networks thus far.

Hubitat C7 is not a good hub for larger networks. ST is very bad for larger networks as well.

Hubitat C8 (their newer hub), I haven’t tested yet but I would assume it will be about the same with slightly better radio performance due to upgraded radio’s and antenna design.

I would strongly advise everyone to get away from ST and Hubitat. These companies may be gone in a few years. HA and Z2M will be around for a very very long time. Don’t lock yourself to specific hardware.

4 Likes

I can see a cloud reliant hub could be a concern to some for the long term - it certainly is to me! However, Hubitat is local and not cloud dependent, so even if the organisation was to stop operating, the hubs would continue to work.

3 Likes

If Hubitat went out of business, their cloud services for backup and remote access would no longer function. The hub would also fail to connect to any voice assistants. On top of that, with Hubitat you’re locked to their hardware - replacements would be difficult.

Please take your rant to the Lounge and let this thread stay focused on Blue firmware updates.

4 Likes

It was less of a rant and more of a test results type of post. I was stating what I had the most success with.

I split this out from the main thread so that it can be limited to discussions about the Blue Series firmware updates.

3 Likes

Thank you. It was a bit off-topic. The reason I was bringing it up is that it was a night and day difference for me while testing. It went from complete unstable on the other platform, and basically stable on HA+Z2M.

2 Likes

Don’t forget there would be no more software or firmware updates (zigbee) since they are both locked down and cloud dependent. While Hubitat runs locally, it is very much a closed platform and 100% dependent on the company being in business. The only way that would change is if for some reason they happen to go out of business, they’d have to decide to open-source the platform as a dying gesture of good will to the community. I don’t see it ever happening. They have started diversifying their revenue stream which I’m happy to see for the longevity of the company.

I do have to agree with the original post though. HA w/ Z2M is extremely capable.

3 Likes

Chiming in to say that I switched to a box running z2m, zwaveJS-UI, mosquitto, and Node-Red and couldn’t be happier. Stability kraken are a thing of the past. Was there a learning curve? Yes. Would I ever recommend Hubitat to anyone after the switch? No. HA is pretty cool, too, but I’ve found I don’t really need it. All my logic is in Node-Red, and I’m not big on dashboards.

Set up a couple of docker containers with mosquitto and z2m to give you OTA ability, and just see if you don’t end up migrating. From that little toe-dip it’s easy to try zwaveJS-UI, and after that you’ll wonder why you didn’t ditch the proprietary box long ago.

Just want to add – OpenHab + Zigbee2mqtt also works well, but you have to manually set up the “things” in openhab, which is a bit of a pain. I’ve found it to be stable so far when controlling my Blue series switches. I really like having zigbee2mqtt to decouple the zigbee specifics from Openhab – just wish Openhab also supported Zwavejs2mqtt (or whatever it’s called now… confusing!).

1 Like

You can configure zwavejs2mqtt to use either mqtt or websockets. If you configure it for mqtt shouldn’t it work the same way as zigbee2mqtt?

It should. I’d assume they’d still need to manually configure the “things” as they mentioned, but that’s just a matter of decoding the MQTT messages.

1 Like