ZwaveJS2MQTT + LZW31-SN - any way to send a "simulated" paddle press?

I’ve never gotten data like that. Is APP the MQTT maybe? I just get zwave lines. The turn on is a single line. I must be missing something if you can get more data there.

Configuration → Entities → light.living_room_light
I’m talking toggling an entity using the toggle switch here, or on a dashboard, etc…

In an automation you can define transition time, brightness, etc… but you can’t do that when toggling an entity.

OK, did some quick testing. Setting transition to 0 in HA when calling the light.turn_on service via automation doesn’t fix the light ramping up and down.

ZwaveJS logs when called via automation the logs don’t give much info:

2021-12-06 10:52:35.172 INFO ZWAVE: Node 44: value updated: 38-0-currentValue 0 => 99

If I toggle the light through the zwave2mqtt control panel the log shows a bit more info.

2021-12-06 11:00:51.706 INFO ZWAVE: Calling api writeValue with args: [
{
nodeId: 44,
commandClass: 38,
endpoint: 0,
property: 'targetValue'
},
{},
[length]: 3
]
2021-12-06 11:00:51.708 INFO ZWAVE: Writing 99 to 44-38-0-targetValue
2021-12-06 11:00:51.862 INFO ZWAVE: Node 44: value updated: 38-0-currentValue 0 => 99
2021-12-06 11:00:51.863 INFO ZWAVE: Node 44: value updated: 38-0-targetValue 0 => 99
2021-12-06 11:00:51.863 INFO ZWAVE: Success zwave api call writeValue true
2021-12-06 11:00:53.936 INFO ZWAVE: Node 44: value updated: 38-0-currentValue 99 => 99

Similar to @Harrison I’m also getting a length of 3.

1 Like

I’ve never tried it, but you could try a light_profiles.csv file. It’s not really clear if the file is only used for automations or for UI triggers too.

I never tried the transition time in an automation, but it works in the developer tools for me. I’ll try to test it in an automation tonight.

I opened an issue in the HA GitHub repo which may help us further:

@MRobi @EricM_Inovelli

2 Likes

Transition time “transition: 60” works for me in an automation. I have the dimmer set to 1 second and without transition it ramps on in that 1 second but with transition: 60 it definitely ramped on over about 60sec of time.

out of curiosity, what firmware are you running on your LZW31-SN?

Thanks! I’m running the same firmware. HA on HassOS on a raspberry pi 4. I tried testing transitions > 3s, but the dimmer still turned on in 3 seconds. How odd.

I’m running HA core and zwaveJS2MQTT as Docker containers.

I’ve tried it before with older firmware and it worked but I can’t say which firmware.

further testing indicates that LZW42 bulbs are the culprit

the LED indicator on my LZW31-SN is ramping up at the correct transition time, but the bulbs are always turning on or off in 3 seconds (regardless of whether the switch is in smart bulb mode, on/off mode, or default mode)

That makes sense. Can you send a transition time directly to the bulbs and have them use it?

Maybe the switch is supposed to be forwarding the transition time it receives to the bulbs???

I know I tried 2 bulbs in a fixture and took them out because they always wanted to turn on in 3 seconds which is way to slow for me.

I disagree on the bulbs being the culprit. Mainly because I went around the house turning everything on with a zwave command and I’ve determined every lzw-31 in my house is acting the same and only 1 of them controls bulbs.

I did not think to watch the led strip though, I was watching the light itself. I’ll see if the led ramps as well or if it is instant like it should be.

Harrison is using the dimmer associated with bulbs. When he turns on the dimmer, it ramps immediately but when it tells the bulbs to turn on they still take the default 3 seconds to ramp. So, in his case yes it’s due to the bulbs or possibly due to the dimmer not forwarding the ramp rate to the bulbs.

I’m not sure what is going on in your case, but it’s not the same thing. Maybe you should start a new thread or go to the zwaveJS discord and discuss.

Just thinking, how do you have the associations setup, as in which groups? I think I tried the different combinations without a fix, but I might have missed something.

I do as well in 1 scenario. It’s almost the exact setup he has.

Scenario 1:
LZW31-SN in the living room associated with 4x LZW42 bulbs.
Physically pressing the switch turns the bulbs on immediately.
Sending a zwave turn-on command to the switch causes the bulbs to ramp up.
Reason 1 how I know it’s not the bulbs… sending a zwave turn-on to the bulbs only, turns the bulbs on immediately.

Scenario 2:
I have 2 other LZW42 bulbs deployed in lamps. 1 is associated with a LZW30-SN.
Physically pressing the switch turns the bulbs on immediately.
Sending a zwave turn-on command to the switch, or to the bulb turns it on immediately.
The other bulb is not associated with anything and only turns on via zwave commands (double tap on a switch or via the app). It also turns on immediately.

The rest:
At the moment I have 17 other LZW-31SN’s deployed. These are all directly connected to the light they control. Some control fixtures with single LED bulbs, some control fixtures with incandescent light bulbs, some control LED fixtures with built-in LED’s. All that I’ve tested when physically controlled turn on immediately. All when sent a z-wave command to turn on ramp up.

If there’s 18 LZW-31SN’s showing the exact same behavior regardless if it’s setup in an association or not, and the bulbs turn on instant when sent their own command or an association command from a different type of switch, you can safely rule out the issue being with the association or with the bulbs.

The issue lies somewhere in the LZW-31SN whether that be something on the firmware side, or something on the zwavejs side.

EDIT: When I send a turn-on command to the group of bulbs in HA, they ramp unless I set a transition time of 0, which is expected as @PJF described above

EDIT 2: Sending the turn-on command directly through zwavejs and bypassing home assistant completely, the LZW31-SN still ramps up/down. So it’s fairly safe to say that home assistant is not the culprit either which still leaves firmware or zwavejs itself. I may have another lzw31 kicking around somewhere, if so I’ll pair it up with my hubitat or smartthings hubs. If it ramps there it would likely be firmware. If it doesn’t then it’s something in zwavejs.

What are parameters 1-4 set to?

It’s not firmware on the dimmers with dumb bulbs. If set parameters 1 and 4 to 0 then all of mine turn on and off immediately from HA or the paddle.

It’s not HA or zwaveJS2MQTT. If I don’t send a transition time then parameter 1 is followed when turning on or off from HA. 8 reds and 8 blacks here on dumb LED lights and they all work as expected following parameter 1.

Parameter 1 is dimming speed. 3 and 4 are ramp rates.
In my config…
1 zwave dim = 0
2 manual dim = 3
3 zwave ramp = 0
4 manual ramp = 0

So they’re all 0 with the exception of manual dim otherwise holding the paddle just puts it straight to 0 or 100.

Im not home until late tonight to test but it’s possible manual dim at 3 may be affecting ramp rates somehow

possibly due to the dimmer not forwarding the ramp rate to the [smart] bulbs.

@pjf @mrobi I think we’ve narrowed it down to this possibility. Thank you for helping me investigate the problem! @MRobi Let me know what you find out w/ smartthings and/or hubitat re: passing ramp rate to LZW42 bulbs.

I tested transition:0 on my kitchen LZW31-SN for my BR30 LED non z-wave bulbs today – they turned on instantly.