2 different circuit...same dimmer problems

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I did have 2 issues. One was a 3 way set up and the other a 6 way. The 3 way was for theater lighting. I figured out that problem. The problem with that was I had the 3 way dumb wired up wrong. That was the issue i mentioned before where I had the black wire hooked up to the wrong terminal. I have since fixed that and its working. So theater light problem solved. We can forget about that.

My current problem still exists with my 6 way. For my last post…the 3 way i was referring to was my 3 way switch…the last switch and the point where my lights get there power. I was wondering if I had made the same error as the other issue…but I pulled the switch and confirmed it was wired correctly. I also pulled the 3 4 way switches. I don’t see any issues there either. If the dimmer is switch A…next 4 way is B, and so on…I have both traveler wires that are coming/going to the same color terminals. So the 2 travelers coming from A are both wired to black on switch B. The 2 travelers from B are hooked to brass going to C…and so on. Right now if my switch C is in the up position and switch E(which is my last switch and is a 3 way is in the down position) dimmer works as it should. But if one of those are in a different position…im having the issue. The issue–I push up on dimmer, led goes up, no lights. Push down, led goes down, click. I push up again(without touching any other switches) dimmer works as it should, led goes up, lights come on. I push down, goes off. I try it again…whole thing starts over.

I really don’t think its wiring, because it works if i “cycle” the switch. Tell me if im wrong tho please. lol. Also…the lights will all turn on/off at and of the 4 dumb switch locations. It’s just the dimmer not acting right. Sorry for the long post, just trying to clarify as best as i can.

1 - Ok, so with C in the up position and E in the down position, it works, right? If you move one to a different position, it doesn’t work. If you put it back with C up and E down and don’t make any other changes, does it work again?

2 - Did you ever have this working with all dumb switches, or did you go from the rough-in directly to the Inovelli?

3 - Please post the IDE preferences settings for the switch, just as you did before.

I think this is the highest wiring type I’ve seen; regardless it should work.

1–if c is up and e is down…dimmer works as it should. If either are in a different position…it doesn’t work right. It will work if I “cycle” the switch(by pushing up and down) then it will work once. If I put them back to that original position, it will work right every time.

2–Its all brand new. The basement was unfinished.

3–

I know. I’m so confused on what’s going on.

This was the wiring diagram I used. Pretty simple…or at least that’s what I thought.

Definitely simple…just add another switch in line…you wired it per?

Correct. It was the diagram that Eric told me to refer to. If it was wired wrong…I don’t know how it would work at all. All dumb switches work as they should. I don’t think it would matter which color terminals that the travelers go to as long as they go both to the same color. Example: Both from same romex go to black, or both go to brass. As long as 1 doesn’t go to black and one to brass. The switch should just be a pass thru. At least that they way i think.

Unless the travelers from A HAVE to go to the top of B…then the bottom of B to the TOP of C…Bottom of C to top of D and so on. If it has to be that way…it’s very possible i have that wrong. I just made sure both from on line went to the same color terminal.

I don’t think so…shouldn’t matter as the wiring will just be shorted through:
350px-4-way_switches_position_4.svg

I don’t think it should matter either. https://youtu.be/AlAyov6ShxU Around the 4 minute mark he said it won’t matter either. I’m stumped.

Settings look correct. And you’re right about being ok with both conductors from the Romex going to the same color. Doesn’t matter which is which as long as they are on a matched set of terminals.

Try this. Go into the settings on the app and change the AC Power Type to incorrect settings. Back out and then go back in and reset them. If that doesn’t work, try combinations of incorrect settings to see if it works with an incorrect setting.

If that doesn’t work, factory reset the switch and put the proper settings back in to see how that goes.

If that doesn’t work, I’m going to suggest pulling the Inovelli and putting in a dumb 3-way. Check to see if all the switches work. This is the best way to confirm your wiring is correct on B - E.

Do you have a meter? If we get this far I’m going to want to check to make sure the Line is at the Inovelli. It probably is because you’ve said the switch never loses power, I think.

Did this. No change. In fact, if i put it as no neutral, the dumb switch’s wont turn the lights on.

Did this…no change.

Question on this…doesn’t the fact that I can turn the lights on and off at every dumb switch now prove that the wiring is correct? I don’t see how changing out the dimmer for a dumb switch would matter. All dumb work in this config now.

Also noticed…when the switch is working like it should…i hear a click when i turn it ON or OFF. When it isn’t working right…I never hear a click when it turns on…only when it turns off. Didn’t know if that says anything.

I’m not sure if it proves the wiring or not. Your wiring may very well be correct. The problem is that we’re trying to troubleshoot it based on your representations. We’ve solved a number of problems here after figuring out that what someone said wasn’t correct. It’s not that there were any bad intentions, it’s just that sometimes things are overlooked or things are just misunderstood.

So I’m just trying all the logical steps in my mind. I’m not saying your wiring is incorrect, but I’m doing the best that I can to help you diagnose it remotely. You are not the first person to experience this, so it’s not like we haven’t heard of this before. The problem is there is not one thing to point to.

Let me ask you this just to close the loop on something. When the lights are off, the dimmer’s LED bar is still illuminated very dimly, correct? You may have to turn off other room lights to see this. When the lights are off, can you put the dumb switches in any position where the dimmer LED will turn off completely?

I’m not offended by you asking me those questions at all. I hope you don’t think that I am. I appreciate all the help and time you are giving me. As far as the led strip, yes. it stays dim when the lights are off. I walked around and flipped each switch and walked back to the dimmer. Never lost power.

For the wiring, I actually ran all the romex and put the boxes and such in. Once I was done I had an electrician come in to check it all, put in my new sub panel, and stub out all my wires. So I’m 100% positive on the hot wire going to the dimmer location. And just so you know exactly how the electrician ran the box, he pig-tailed the 2 hot wires for both dimmers. Thats why both of my runs are on one circuit. I only have my led wafer lights on that circuit. I asked him to make sure that wouldn’t be too much on the one circuit and he said no way. Not will all led wiring. But thats how that “main box” with the 2 dimmers is wired.

Are the lights on the 3-way that is working correctly the same as on the 6-way, wafer lights?

Try setting the dimmer’s max brightness to 80%.

Do you have a spare Inovelli dimmer to swap out with?

Yes. I put the same lights in the whole basement. I have them in a bedroom with an inovelli dimmer and they work fine there also. They only dim to about 28%, so I just changed the minimum dim level and all good. When I get home later I’ll try the 80 max brightness. I have 2 other spare dimmers that I’m planning on using elsewhere, so I can try that also. If I do that, I need to exclude the current one first right.

Up to you. Either exclude it or repair your Zwave network after you install it in its new location (and change name).

Ok…tried both those options…same result. The 80% brightness didn’t do anything and a new switch has the same problem.

Also…I found a dumb 3 way switch and replaced the dimmer and all switches work in all locations. This 100% shows the wiring is correct right? This has to be something in the software for the switch doesn’t it?

@Bry Any idea what you think I should try next?