2 different circuit...same dimmer problems

Well, it means the wiring is correct for a dumb switch. I’m not going to compare apples and oranges.

It could be a software setting. Can you please post screenshots of the devices settings on your phone in the ST app? Don’t need to see everything, just the AC Power Type and Switch Type.

Can you post pictures of the Inovelli box with the switch pulled out so I can see all the connections and into the box?

One other question - Are any of your dumb switches lighted?

And no, no other switches are light up.

That looks fine. Waiting on your switch pics.

Ok, maybe a little hard to see. The line all the way on the right is the line from panel. The line to the left is the line for my 6 way. It goes to my first 4 way switch. The one all the way on the left is the wire that goes to my other bank of lights for my theater lights. It goes to my other 3 way switch. Those are working fine.

All neutral wires are tied together with pigtails going to both inovelli switches. This goes for the ground and line wires also. Then each traveler and load lines are wired into the switch/line they control.

That box is a mess. I can’t really help you with that. The only thing that I can see, and I’m not totally sure because of the rat’s nest, is that the neutral to the switch doesn’t seem to be going to the neutral bundle. It loops over the neutral bundle and then goes to the bottom of the box. According to you, both switches are on the same circuit, so there should only be one neutral bundle in the box.

I would get your electrician to take a look and perhaps help you with wire management.

That wire that you are seeing that you think loops over the bundle is actually the neutral wire going to the dimmer switch for the theater lights. It’s coming out of that wire nut going to the inovelli dimmer. The included wire they give you is pretty small, so hard to pull out. Also these wires feed both switches. I’ve tried to keep it as neat as possible, but with 13 wires in a 2 gang box…it’s tough. The electrician is the one who did all the pigtails.

I know you keep going back to thinking it’s wiring, but i don’t see how thats possible. These lights will work as on/off at every single switch. The problem is when 2 of them are in a different position, the dimmer doesn’t act right for the first “cycle”. Once I cycle them once…they work for a cycle. But after that one cycle, I need to do it again. If it was a wiring issue…i don’t think a dumb switch would work. If I replace the dimmer with a dumb switch all work. Or if I act like the dimmer isn’t there and never use it, all other switches work.

Here is my video on what it’s doing. It doesn’t make sense.

Sorry…should be able to see it now.

I can change absolutely nothing and this cycle will continue on and on. Work for an on and off cycle…not for a cycle.

So now I’m confused. So it’s the switch on the right that is the 6-way? When I asked you to post a picture of the box and the switch, the only switch in the picture was the one on the left. I take it that’s not the switch at issue?

Correct. I wasn’t trying to get the switch in the picture. I was trying to just get the box for you. The one on the left is working fine. I will try to send one of the right switch.

Ok, thx. As in your video, leaving the dumb switches alone, does the Inovelli alternate working and not working? i.e. Works every 2nd time, fails every 2nd time. Or is it random?

Correct. On a pattern. Not random at all. Works every 2nd time, and fails every 2nd time. I can do a longer video if it will help. Then I can show if I move one of the switches it’s normal.

OK, something is tricking the MCU.

Let me ask you this. Look at the label on the 3-wire connected to your switch. Your electrician (I’m presuming) labeled it either “2 way base lite” or “3-way base lite”, not sure which. That should be going to a 4-way switch, but the label doesn’t suggest that. I’m sure it’s part of the 6-way leg because it works the lights (sorta) but I’m wondering where that 3-wire is going. I’d expect it to say either “4-way” (for the switch) or “6-way” for the whole leg. Not saying something is wrong specifically (besides it’s not working) but it makes me wonder.

1 Like

Does it do this if you wait maybe 2 min in between attempts?

1 Like

I think its him just mislabeling it. I ran all the rough in wiring, so I know exactly where that wire goes. It does go to the 1st 4 way in the leg.

1 Like

Thanks for responding. Time doesn’t affect it. I just tried it with a 5 minute wait between cycles. I waited to time after the working cycle. Another thing I noticed awhile back…On my working 3 way i hear a “click” when it turns on and off. When I keep my switches in the “working” positions, I hear a click both times. When either that 4 way or the last 3 way are in the “problem position” and we have this issue with the dimmer, I dont here a click when the lights go on.

Yeah that is really weird actually and does point to some sort of issue. The default setting for the dimmer in a multi-switch setting is for the dimmer to make the click when it’s turned off.

Thanks for answering the other question. I thought maybe the bulbs were playing a part in it as I’ve seen it before when if the dimmer or switch is engaged too fast in a row the 2nd time will not work. But it doesn’t sound like that in this case.