2021-2022 Roadmap

Pay attention to the website in the next week or so – that’s all I can say :slight_smile:

Should be some cool sensors for sale, maybe a hub.

4 Likes

Monoprice, is that you?

1 Like

Definitely X10

I thought James was going with Lutron. He did say that Lutron is the new Insteon . . .

1 Like

Aeotec ftw

2 Likes

You, sir, are a master tease.

But, perhaps you’ve tipped your hand?

3 Likes

I’ve tipped it. Growing impatient myself lol.

5 Likes

Almost but wanted to step out of the norm.

1 Like

I believe the proper name for them is Insteoff now. :slight_smile:

(at least that’s what I’m seeing elsewhere rofl–well, rofl, but sad too)

1 Like

I just see their manufacturing capabilities and huge name being helpful. Also I saw a rendering with a GE aux switch which had authentic logos, most companies don’t let other companies use their branding like that…

I think @krisk may be correct, not sure how long this has been in rewards but just noticed it…

They have carried that for a while. It’s required for certain no-neutral switch setups.

3 Likes

I hope it’s Aeotec too!! If it is, perhaps you guys could collaboratively re-address the water sensor space, once I started to tackle and research that part of my smart home–the sensors I wanted were no longer being sold by Aeotec. Grrr, that’s what I get for taking my sweet time to research :(.

Control4 or Crestron, maybe??

May I ask what application one would use the water sensor for? Outside of putting it under the sink I haven’t been able to think of much use.

I have a well pump. If my pipe bursts or leaks, then I could use the sensor to trigger either the valve to be shut, or potentially the power be removed (probably less likely). This would prevent the well pump from continuing pumping in water in my basement while I am away from the house. Same for setting sensors under the dishwasher, washer, sinks, etc…

2 Likes

Another good place would be by the water heater.

3 Likes

Pretty nice having the water heater in the unfinished basement, in a tub with a drainpipe leading right to the floor drain. :slight_smile:

I put a couple holes in the floor so the dishwasher and refrigerator will mostly drain through the floor into the basement if the worst happens. Not perfect and likely a bit messy–but better than flooding the upstairs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If your water feed comes in through a crawl space, you can get the added benefit of monitoring the crawl space temperature in addition to watching for leaks around the feed. You can use an automation to let you know if the crawl space temperature approaches freezing.

I have multiple water sensors scattered around our unfinished basement, monitoring for floods. I consider the water sensors, burglar, and fire alarms too important to use DIY HA stuff, so they are all connected to a dedicated alarm system panel that is professionally monitored by a central station. The water sensors already saved our 2-month-old boiler from being submerged back in February when the sump pump fried itself.

When we installed the new pump, I also added a (I can’t type that Z-company’s name) ZEN15 to monitor the pump’s power usage and run times. I now have automations in Home Assistant to announce every time the pump turns on or off, announce and alert if the pump runs more than 3 minutes straight (indicating a blockage or stuck float switch), and shut the power off after 5 minutes of continuous running to save the pump if it is blocked or running dry…