2023 Product Roadmap?

What’s the difference between the Zigbee Fan switch and the * Zigbee Dual Switch + Canopy Module*?

The fan switch just controls a fan via a wired connection. The combo switch is 2 switches in one slot that controls a fan and light separately via a wireless connection to a module mounted in the fan’s canopy.

Roger. I feel like I knew that but the canopy module threw me off. Just wanted to double check to make sure the fan switch won’t require me to install a module in order to control on/off + fan speed. Thanks!

Won’t be needed. You just need to ensure you have an AC motor/3 speeds if you want the switch to control fan speeds. If you have a DC motor, you can provide full power but will need to utilize the remote that came with the fan for speed control.

Let me stop to say that Inovelli products are amazing and I truly appreciate the level of care and detail that goes into these.

I was amazed and knew it was the product I wanted in my home the first time I stumbled into the website over 3 years ago.

And now as a user with 12 dimmers controlling nearly every light in my home I continue to think of inovelli first when it comes to home automation supply.

I’ll be in line for a new fan / light switch, particularly I’ve got a on overhead fan with a single load wire at the switch box so i need to figure out how to make both elements controllable through automation, and retain switch control (hard wire power always with inovelli switch as a controller for a separate fan control module installed in the overhead box?)

Also interested in under cabinet lighting

My ultimate smart home dream device right now is a wall mountable touch screen that has configurable modules for controls including music/lighting/locks/contact sensor status/presence detection etc in a clean and bright graphical UI… I know this can be done but I just lack the time and skill currently to convert my smart things set up to home assistant. Something out of the box would be wildly cool.

1 Like

I had really good luck with an Amazon Fire 10 Tablet wall mounted with their native alexa smarthome control. Very intuitive and simple, and a simple integration (ST → Alexa) away.

Thanks for the tip.

I’ll have to consider it, my hesitation would be that I’m trying to de-Amazon myself rather than add more.

My long term goal is have a system that’s as off line as possible, but I recognize that brings its own challenges.

HAD being the highly operative word.

I’m now an HA fanatic with custom dashboards and wall mounted tabs. It’s still a hobby and not yet an addiction (I keep telling myself).

4 Likes

We use an iPad with the Home Assistant App mounted to a wall. For some areas, I have started deploying NSPanel via ESPHome. The display allows much more flexibility and being able to have different cards allows to add as much or as little control as you want. The two physical buttons and two relays are just a bonus.

In an ideal world, there would be something similar that fits into a 2 gang or even 3 gang box, but I have not found anything working well.

How are you mounting and powering the NSPanel?

They mount in 1-gang box (snug) powered from typical mains 100-240V.

1 Like

Ah perfect, thanks. I didn’t realize they fit in a 1 gang box. I thought you had them just mounted in the wall.

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli
I’d love some confirmation that inovelli remains committed to releasing a thread/matter firmware for the upcoming zigbee devices, at least those based on the mg24. I realize you are just getting that silicon in for testing, but is thread/matter firmware a roadmap reality for 2023 or something more likely for 2024? I am apprehensive to join any preorders, if a thread/mater firmware may not be available for 6 months to an additional year after the future releases of mg24 based Fan, dimmer, or PIR/paddle switches.

I would not expect it this year. There’s going to be a lot upcoming products that will most likely take focus (fan switch, Linus switch, red series). Plus I’m pretty sure some of the bigger guys are postponing their matter support.

Yeah, That’s my take too. Smaller company and limited dev resources. Would just like to hear it from inovelli.

Hue pushed back a month or two and Belken/wemo indefinitely (but no one should worry much over Wemo). Bigger issue might be amazon slow-walking everything thread.

1 Like

Yes, it’s our intention to release Matter/Thread firmware as soon as we can. I can’t promise a date and I understand the apprehension if Matter/Thread is important to you, but I’m just not in a position to promise any sort of deadline at this time. Our primary goal before dedicating resources towards an official Matter firmware is to get our inventory situation under control.

I realize this is not a firm answer from a timeline perspective, but I can say that we do have the intention to release a Matter/Thread firmware and that was the reasoning for investing in the MG24 chip that will be in the new switches (it’s going in the fan switch and will also be in the new mmWave switch). If we didn’t want/need to release a Matter firmware, we would’ve stuck with the MG21 as it’s cheaper.

Understood, if Matter is important to you this year, like @harjms mentioned, it likely isn’t a possibility unless we somehow get a major capital infusion and the other, much larger companies start to fall in line with Matter.

I think my biggest fear is that we invest all this capital into writing firmware and no one supports it or the advanced features. I know we can technically write a web-app that could change parameters and such, but it just seems like a lot of work for very little payoff.

Just trying to be as transparent as possible, especially as it sounds like Thread/Matter is an important buying decision for you. Wish I had better news.

6 Likes

Amazon has finally entered the Matter over Thread game.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay.

They fit into any 1-Gang box, in my case they are old-works boxes. They can be powered with regular line voltage but they do need a neutral. They stick out about 10mm from teh wall.

Thanks for the details!

1 Like

Is there a product thread somewhere for a new or any fan/light combo like Hurricane? I don’t care if it is Zigbee or Zwave. I just want to finally have fan and light automation in my bedrooms.