Blue Series 2-1 Firmware Changelog | VZM31-SN

@EricM_Inovelli It would be great if this changelog was also updated with a list of Known Issues – I was super confused when all of my group bindings broke and I couldn’t find any mention of them in the first post

2 Likes

We are holding off on the release of 2.08 as we re-work some of the endpoints / binding / group functionality. Sorry for the delay, but we want to make sure it fixes the issues and doesn’t cause problems elsewhere.

For now, please continue to use the individual device bindings until we have it resolved.

3 Likes

On a separate note. Is anyone using Zha getting power readings from their switches on 2.07? Mine are always 0. They never reported more than 0 since the firmware the switch shipped with. So not sure if that’s a future state to fix that?

Mine is reporting power usage on 2.07

I have one in a non neutral setting not reporting power but the one with neutral does. Not sure if it’s just a limitation in a non neutral setup.

This is correct. No power monitoring without neutral connected to the switch.

5 Likes

How quickly or what is the method that these get pushed to Hubitat? I’ve finally had some time to get to updating firmware, and the version that is being updated to is 122F-0101-01020205, which appears to be the 4-November Firmware. Any further attempts to update the firmware gives me a log entry that firmware is up to date. Drivers are checked daily and updated as required if that matters.

I ask because this is the only method of check I have. My fwVersion state variable in Hubitat still shows 2.0, but the logs clearly indicate I’m on the “most updated version” of 01020205.

There hasn’t been any new pushes for Hubitat yet. Firmware team and Inovelli are working on some fixes. I would try to refresh the page or Refresh All to see if the static variable updates.

1 Like

Tried all the standard normal fixes to no avail. Not that big of an issue since I rely on the logs more for these sorts of things anyways. As in the past with red switches, I’m sure it’ll eventually just correct itself.

Did not know that about the Hubitat pushes, so thanks =)

@EricM_Inovelli I’m on v2.05 now and have the group bind control issues that is listed for v2.07 in the top post. Just letting you know. thanks

1 Like

November 11, 2022 / v2.08 / 0x01020208

Note: We are waiting for a PR to go through for HA before releasing it there. Bump ZHA quirks lib to 0.0.86 by dmulcahey · Pull Request #81966 · home-assistant/core (github.com)

Should be released on Hubitat soon.

• Fix the ability to send commands to a group binding.
4 Likes

@EricM_Inovelli some of us (me, and maybe others) run z2m in a standalone configuration (no HA). Would be nice to not have to wait for the HA devs to push a release in order to get firmware pushed for z2m.

https://files.inovelli.com/firmware/VZM31-SN/Beta/

Edit: @EricM_Inovelli you might put the link up in the first post just for quicker access.

If someone could be a bit more ELI5 on the Hubitat updating that would be nice, I’ve done the following but haven’t seen any changes in the reported “fwVersion” on the device page:

1. Update the Hubitat driver for the VZM31-SN to the 11/11 firmware from the old 8/14 via copy-paste.
    • is this required to update the device firmware?
  2. Go to the device page in Hubitat and double-click updateFirmware
    • do I need to update the driver for the Hubitat device? The driverDate field still says 2022-08-14

After doing this, the fwVersion still is reported as 2.00, fwDate still 20200805, same as another un-updated device. There is a lastUpdateFw state variable set now, which the other device doesn’t have at all. Debug logs were enabled and all I see is that it ‘updated to 2.00’, a.k.a. did nothing.

2022-11-11 03:48:29.470 PM[warn] Firmware in this channel may be "beta" quality. Please check https://community.inovelli.com/c/switches/switch-firmware/42 before proceeding. Double-click "Update Firmware" to proceed
2022-11-11 03:48:29.466 PM[info] Kitchen Cans: updateFirmware(switch's fwDate: 2020805, switch's fwVersion: 2.00)

Do I need to update my Hubitat software in general to get it to work? Were all versions beyond 2.00 revoked because of issues mentioned above? I’m confused :frowning:

1 Like

I believe that all z2m changes are independent of HA meaning for z2a waiting for HA should never be necessary.

1 Like

Yeah, this is true. The problem right now is that we use a “shared” firmware listing file. Once I put the firmware in the json file then both zigbee2mqtt and zha have it available.

Edit: I think I will work on having separate files in the future.

There is a way to point z2m at an alternate url to make it possible to update right now. If anyone is interested, you can PM me.

1 Like

The easiest way to ensure you have the latest driver is to use HPM – you can even have HPM check for for updates daily or whatever.

I believe 2.05 is the latest firmware currently available on Hubitat – that’s what I have on my switches right now – I updated earlier this week, and the 2.05 updates for each switch went fine.

Cool, will give it a spin. Here’s what I did if it helps others:

1. Install HPM as per these instructions, which to start with is basically in the Hubitat, go to “Apps code”, New App button, Import, copy this URL, and click Import.
  2. Enable HPM by going to “Add User App” in the “Apps” section.
  3. Matching returned nothing for me, but went to Install, By Keywords, punched in “Inovelli” and picked “Inovelli Drivers (Gen 2)”. Next page…
  4. Selected only the 2-in-1 Blue Series as that’s all I have. Next to pick, Next to install, Next to confirm done.
  5. Swapped this device driver in for existing devices (so it’d be managed) by changing the “Type” under the “Device Information” section (note: also renamed the old firmware as “not HPM” so it was clear which was which)
  6. Deleted old device driver.
  7. Picked a device, double-clicked “Update Firmware”

It’s still on fwVersion: 2.00 and fwDate: 20200805 though …argh. Seems like HPM just manages the Hubitat drivers (or apps…), not firmware?

HPM is just drivers. For firmware, you need to go into the individual switch and do the double click on update firmware button. Have another tab open and watch the logs and you’ll see which firmware update is taking place (this is at least how I do it).

1 Like

I just went through the update process on Hubitat and despite the process completing successfully (it showed progress in the logs once it started), it looked like nothing happened. Like you describe, once it completed, the device page didn’t reflect the change for me either … ultimately, I just air-gaped the switch and as soon as it restarted, the device page showed the new firmware version.