Blue Series 2-1 Signal / Routing / Performance Issue Troubleshooting Thread

Another minor question about the form, which order number do we need to put in, the original or the new one on the website? Just a thought I want to make sure gets addressed! I put my original number since that was in my shipping email & therefore the most recent in my inbox, but I’d love some sort of confirmation like others have mentioned to make sure I’m on the list. All 11 of ours are affected (they shipped out in the last batch if people are tracking that too).

3 Likes

Having tried both repair methods I can tell you it’s probably not worth it unless you have a lot of soldering experience. Your radio shack iron with a fat tip and no flux isn’t getting this job done.

I have a few years of practice doing hobby projects and even still I don’t feel great about having a hacked on switch connected to mains voltage stuffed in the wall.

4 Likes

I completely see your point, however, it was a manufacturing error, not an Inovelli error. The cost of shipping everything back to a warehouse then sending back over in a container, not to mention the cost of retooling to fix this issue would be far greater for them than just making replacements.

Regarding warranty issues, many things have non-transferable warranties and I don’t know about you, but for me, purchasing anything on eBay is buyer beware, that’s why I never do.

3 Likes

Since the form asked for an order number, I’m sure they can pull up and use the email associated with that order.

1 Like

One of my two Blues just fell off the zigbee network. What do I do in this case? Using Z2M, both are 0x94de.

Both have fairly low LQIs (30s to 40s despite being in the same room as other router devices) but were usually solidly connected until now.

1 Like

RE: the form, for anyone else using a Mac and trying to upload files. The OneDrive link to upload files did not work for me, I had to switch over to my Windows machine. Not an Inovelli problem, seems to be a Microsoft problem.

2 Likes

Worked fine for me from Safari on a Mac.

Have all the replacement emails gone out? I didn’t get one yet (or the shipping updates). Also noticed my order still shows Unfulfilled after receiving them last week.

2 of my 3 “trial” switches are affected, one is close enough to the coordinator that it works. The other I was able to do the bridge to R1 last night. Not easy but took me way longer to get those plastic mosfet push pins back in place. :sweat_smile:

Appreciate the transparency through all this, bit of a rollercoaster but the working ones are great!

Ah, I was using Edge on Mac. Didn’t try Safari

Well then you’re probably right that it’s a Microsoft problem!

2 Likes

Bummer 9 out of my 10 pack is an impacted device. Glad I caught this before my install this weekend!

@Eric_Inovelli For those that ordered from zwaveproducts and haven’t gotten the email with the replacement form, is the form in this thread the same as the one in the email, and if not do you know when the email will be going to zwaveproducts customers?

1 Like

Alright guys, I am having a hard time keeping up with this thread, while at the same time inputting everyone’s information in our database, so apologies if I miss something again.

Yes, I am manually doing this and I will send out an email afterwards to let you guys know. It’s going to take some time, but I promise I will get to everyone.

I would like a picture of the QR Code and the IEEE number. Honestly, if you just give me a picture of the QR Code on that sticker in the box that shows the EUI number, that’s fine. I just need a way to verify the IEEE number you send over is correct so that we’re not getting claims later on for the same number.

Yes, you can certainly keep the defective ones – more than likely if you have a strong mesh, they will work just fine, but at the very least we just want you to have good switches :slight_smile:

Yeah, I will run the list again and see what’s going on. @Courtney_Inovelli – can you help me re-run anyone that’s purchased the Blue Series switches?

@magicalbrad – yes, you can use the form in this thread, sorry for the confusion.

Ok, thank you for sharing – we have a 2.07 now, so I will see if we can get that to you. Let’s chat over in the other thread so I can keep these threads straight.

Yeah, it does put us in a predicament and while I can’t stop people from repairing/reselling these, I would hope that by receiving a replacement for free, it would discourage this behavior – more of an honor system type thing.

It is a good point that someone who is talented could bring life into an otherwise dead product and I think that if that person can, they need to be completely upfront about the fact that these are refurbished, but yes, it kind of stinks for us when the customer writes in and demands a new product – or even worse, something happens to their house because the switch was tampered with. Worst case scenario, I know, but it does keep me up at night.

To give you some perspective into my paranoia – we had $175k worth of switches stolen from us a couple years ago. There was absolutely nothing we could do to shut them down even when we caught them on Amazon, nothing – no one cared. Well, some of those switches were defective (just manufacturer defective) and the customer wrote into us to get it replaced. Now not only were we out the money that was stolen from us in inventory, but we felt like we had to replace the switch too bc the customer couldn’t return the switch (bc Amazon wouldn’t take it back). Just sucks, but yeah cost of business I suppose.

Truth is, the manufacturer does not want these back as they know they’re defective and it would cost too much to send these back to them and then send them back to us (likely almost the cost of the switch itself), let alone the cost to grab them back from you guys.

I think to mitigate waste, per @grooves12 point, we will offer to take yours back if you don’t want them or don’t want to dispose of them, and we will figure out how to properly dispose of them.

Yeah, I will be manually inputting these and sending out an email. We don’t have a sweet process that automatically does this for us. I suppose I couldn’t tried to set one up, but I was so caught up in getting this taken care of I didn’t think about it.

No, unfortunately, they do not want these back.

Either or is fine. We can cross-reference your name and we have both numbers in our system. Great question!

Yeah I just used the same email addresses that were pulled prior that I sent out for pre-orders. Looks like some were missing, ugh. I’m having Courtney re-pull everything and hopefully I can figure out why it’s not working. Sorry about the mixup.

I emailed them yesterday to let them know to pass on my email to all their customers, so hopefully they do it within the next day or so. I did get a confirmation from them that they would.

But to answer your question, the form in this thread is the same, correct – feel free to use that one :slight_smile:

I’ll PM you.

This is why I was asking for IEEE numbers + QR Codes. I plan on scanning the QR Code to verify the numbers.

Yup, we can certainly do that. Completely agree.

Yes, around 50% of the first batch were defective.

8 Likes

First of all, I wanted to say thank you for going above and beyond for your customers. Speaking as a first time Inovelli customer, and hopefully many of your other customers, this is INSANELY good customer service. You are absolutely going above and beyond and I will have much confidence in coming back and ordering more devices in the future.

While I have 5 or 6 bad switches I was not aware of the defect because I have a strong mesh supporting them. With that said I would greatly appreciate being able to keep the defective switches as opposed to them being recycled since they generally work for me. Perhaps you can have customers agree that by accepting a replacement to not re-sell the old devices, and that you will not warrant or support “RMA’ed” devices after a replacement has been received. Hopefully that would cover you if customers violate that trust.

Also, any chance a screenshot of the IEEE from HomeAssistant would be sufficient substitute for the QR code? I would like to avoid having to take my switch plates off again if I can help it. :smiley:

To be honest when I first stumbled upon Inovelli and your Blue series I thought they were too good to be true… I was skeptical if they would ship on time, or if it could even do all that it said it did. The switches have exceeded my high expectations. Thank you for your hard work, communication, and customer obsession. You have gained a new loyal customer!

4 Likes

Hi Eric - thanks for the follow-up… After resetting and re-pairing my bind-problem switch late last night, it hasn’t picked up any unsolicited binds since (same with the other 4 Blues, so knock on wood!)

I’ll be happy to try out updated firmware, but I’m in no major hurry or anything like that – I was just relieved that EricM confirmed this morning it was still being actively looked at (I was a bit afraid last night it’d already been checked off the list)

That situation is certainly MUCH improved compared to a week ago, so you guys are definitely making good progress!

I’ll give 2.07 a swing when it hits Hubitat, but no special handling necessary for me – things are stable overall here, so I can live with that.

4 Likes

Oof, all 40 switches in my four 10 packs were in the defective batches. Worst luck ever

Looking forward to getting the full signal/proper switches whenever they get here. (January?)

I haven’t bought from them, but you should probably contact Aartech, as they probably already sold some and theirs clients may need replacements too.

2 Likes

Is there any ongoing process to see if other EUIs are affected? One of my rare switches not in the affected range happened to be the tester I installed (94:DE:B8), but my LQI seems low. It ranges from 125-160 about two feet line of sight from my controller.

Availability in Z2M always says “disabled” but switch works.

Zigbee channel 11, Wi-Fi channel 11 (shouldn’t overlap). In same closet as my Wi-Fi router but controller is about 3 feet away from router and so is the switch. TubesZB PoE Zigbee controller.

Not sure how/if to troubleshoot since my LQI knowledge is limited, but seems like I should be getting closer to 255 with such close proximity? Not a super congested radio environment as far as I can tell. It only approaches 255 if I hold the antenna of the controller at the front of the switch.

Switch seems to work fine but is in a closet I don’t use much so hard to put it through its paces. Maybe those values are just normal?

94:de:b8 is not affected, can’t speak to what the manufacturer is doing/checking re other IEEE’s though, what hub and how are you measuring LQI for it?

Using HomeAssistant and checking LQI via Zigbee2mqtt (separate dockers for both)

Edit: Z2M 1.28.2 running switch firmware 2.05 and HomeAssistant 2022.11.1