Blue Series Dimming Tech

The fix with the device being fully on does not mean the relay is directly switching the load. The load is switched by the MOSFETs at all times and in all modes. The fix will turn the MOSFETs fully on so they pass the line voltage directly through.

The relay click isn’t switching the load on/off… IIRC it’s switching it from the traveler to line and back. This was discussed in other threads, but the end result of the product didn’t actually do what was expected of it in the original specs and it isn’t functioning the same as a relay or some other on/off switches do when in “on/off” mode.

Yes, correct. But, in 1-pole mode with the relay operating it actually does switch the power from reaching the load, but the power still has to go through the MOSFETs.

1 Like

+1 for relay switches like the old Black and Red series switches. I know I can use some relay to switch higher or motor loads but that defeats one purpose: The switch still works if the entire home automation fails. If I have a switch and a relay, the relay does not work without home automation and binding is not fully reliable. I also add another component that could fail. Just consider that any accidental short circuit will fry the MOSFET. A relay would be much more tolerant.

I use many GE switches to control outside outlets, fans, some load shedding and they are all due for replacement. My plan was Inovelli. NOw I need to look elsewhere.

+1 as well on dimming performance. I have a large amount of Evolve Dimmers with a very nice diming curve, even in the lower parts of the dimming curve. Smooth as well. Not The MineCraft block style dimming. Blue is better but still not really there.

I still believe in Inovelli due to their open communication and innovative ideas. I hope that these issues can be resolved and that Inovelli is getting more funding to finish some of the older ideas, bring back some of the good things from the past and has a great future.

1 Like

For the record the new firmware that came out last week (April 11, 2023 / v2.14 / 0x0102020E) totally fixes the flicker issues.

My switches auto-updated their firmware through home assistant and I didn’t even have to change any of the settings. It must have auto-detected the neutral and / or switched accordingly.

The change is noticeable and much better. I’m looking forward to fiddling with some of the other new settings.

Thanks!!

2 Likes

2.14!!!
Good job Inovelli!

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli @EricM_Inovelli damn guys, epic work here with your engineering team. I have a fixture with 8x 6W LED’s that flickered to the MOON on it’s stepping down in dim and as adaptive lighting was changing levels it was super noticeable.

No longer.

This switch is so well engineered now, I’m glad you were able to challenge your manufacturer to incorporate this design.

Looking forward to what you guys think of next!

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for their patience here and we’re thrilled at the feedback! I want to thank those that pushed us to improve our switches. This is what I love about the community – while sometimes it can be painful to read the feedback on something you’ve worked so hard on, at the end of the day, most of you are here to give constructive feedback and this is something we truly value.

The Leading/Trailing edge debate has gone on for a while and it was always a weakness in our design and something we thought, based on the prior manufacturer, could simply not be accomplished (the ability to have trailing edge). And, while the reasons they gave us were technically true (ie: we couldn’t do it on non-neutral or dumb switch scenarios), they didn’t tell us the full truth which is that it can be done on neutral and aux setups.

Even our new manufacturer told us this to start and it wasn’t until this thread where there was significant pushback that we went back and challenged them on it – and like a Christmas Miracle, they were able to make it come to fruition. And dang were you guys right. Trailing edge works really well.

So, thanks again for all the feedback and patience – you guys are awesome!

11 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli, hopefully this doesn’t derail too much (came across the thread from a google search), but I was curious if there was any possibility of updating the red-series firmware to allow trailing edge as well? I’ve invested heavily into the red dimmers (LZW31-SN) and have lived with buzzing/flickering for quite a few lights where bulbs/fixtures can’t be easily replaced.

If not, at this point, with the latest firmware, would the blue series be compatible with a much larger range of bulbs (all my boxes have neutral)? My wife likes a lot of hard-to-find styles (not on any of the compatibility lists with no equivalents posted) and as a worst case scenario would maybe (sadly) buy some new blue dimmers to replace my reds for the worst offending fixtures. Regrettably, those dimmers also act as repeaters, so I’d be giving up some potential range on my zwave. Anyways, any info on possible red updates & clarification on the trailing edge for blue would be great!

EDITED:
Firmware updates for the Gen 2’s has gone the way of the dinausaur. Inovelli is no longer working with the manufacturer.

@Bry it was not enabled and cannot be enabled on the old gen 2 reds.

I don’t believe the hardware on gen2 supports trailing edge. Regardless of that, Inovelli has no relationship with that manufacturer anymore so no further firmware updates are possible there.

Crap, wrong model. NVM. Sorry about that Chief!

No, the LZW series of devices will never get another firmware update, so no trailing edge dimming for them.

There is a new Red 2-1 that does everything a Blue does but it’s zwave so it’d be a better fit for you to test with.

I wasn’t aware of the newer red series (or of the relationship problems w/ prior manufacturer). I’ll look into getting some newer reds to replace the really bad ones. Thanks for the updated info everyone!

2 Likes

It’s too bad you couldn’t update the firmware on the red series gen 2. In our previous house I installed 20 of these and had some small issues with bulb compatibility that I’m pretty sure would not be an issue with trailing edge. Besides that happy with your product overall.

I’m sure a lot of people would appreciate it you could ever update the gen 2 firmware to support trailing edge since they have invested so much in that hardware.

Since you guys have been so transparent I’ve ordered 35 of the red series gen 3s for our new house. Hoping to use your aux switches with the red gen 3s and run trailing edge where possible. I think some of our house has neutrals as well.

Thanks again for a great product and continuing to listen to your customers. This is unheard of these days!

2 Likes

Inovelli is no longer working with that vendor, so that will likely never happen.

1 Like