Blue Zigbee 2-1 'powerType' error in Z2M?

Hi folks, I’m running into an issue with my Blue switch setup with an Aeotec bypass and configured in Z2M.

When selecting the “PowerType” – “Non-neutral” I’m getting the following error:

Error 2022-10-31 12:06:53Publish 'set' 'powerType' to 'Kitchen sink light switch' failed: 'Error: Write 0x040d84fffe05f558/1 manuSpecificInovelliVZM31SN({"21":{"value":0,"type":16}}, {"sendWhen":"immediate","timeout":10000,"disableResponse":false,"disableRecovery":false,"disableDefaultResponse":true,"direction":0,"srcEndpoint":null,"reservedBits":0,"manufacturerCode":4655,"transactionSequenceNumber":null,"writeUndiv":false}) failed (Status 'READ_ONLY')'

Further, I’m noticing in Z2M, “Power” and “Energy” are returning as NULL. Is that because I’m using a Bypass? How do I fix both issues? Switch seems to operate as expected otherwise.

Edit: I’m running version 1.28.0-1 of Z2M.

For the Power Type attribute, that’s read-only which is why you’re getting that error. It should be auto-detected by the switch and reported there.

Re power and energy, you’re likely just needing this fix if you don’t want to wait for the next release.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response and insight. It is not auto-detecting which is why maybe I was originally a bit confused. Neither “Non neutral” or “Neutral” are selected. Is it possible this is because I’m using a bypass? I believe I installed it correctly at my light.

1 Like

I see the same lack of detection in a single-pole, neutral setup. Not detecting neutral/non-neutral, also not detecting single-pole. Load is 24W of LEDs…

Maybe it’s just a z2m problem not reading the cluster correctly? Here’s what I have for powerType and switchType in the status tab

Here’s how it displays in the exposes tab

@nathanfiscus have you seen this happening at all?

It won’t detect the swtichType, that didn’t make it into the firmware, you have to set that manually. To get the power type you just hit the refresh button.

1 Like

Dumb question, but the switch should detect the power type; there’s not different firmware between Blues for different hubs, so how would you set a readonly setting that the switch won’t allow you to change (or can you?)

It does, the setting you have to set manually is the switchType not the powerType. powerType is detected.

ugh…it’s Monday. I read switchtype to and thought powertype. My bad! Disregard my last.

1 Like

Clicking on single-pole doesn’t do anything. It doesn’t stay selected once I click somewhere else. Refreshing powerType doesn’t change the null value, either. The switch is responsive to other commands, but these do nothing for me atm

1 Like

This is my experience as well. I’ve selected “Single Pole” for switchType yet powerType is not automatically being selected.

Here’s my full state in Z2M:

{
“autoTimerOff”: 0,
“brightness”: 254,
“defaultLed1ColorWhenOn”: 0,
“firmwareUpdateInProgressIndicator”: “Enabled”,
“invertSwitch”: “No”,
“ledColorWhenOff”: 170,
“ledColorWhenOn”: 170,
“ledIntensityWhenOff”: 5,
“ledIntensityWhenOn”: 2,
“linkquality”: 215,
“localProtection”: “Disabled”,
“onOffLedMode”: “All”,
“outputMode”: “On/Off”,
“smartBulbMode”: “Disabled”,
“state”: “OFF”,
“stateAfterPowerRestored”: 0,
“switchType”: “Single Pole”,
“update”: {
“state”: “idle”
},
“update_available”: false,
“activeEnergyReports”: null,
“activePowerReports”: null,
“defaultLed1ColorWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed1IntensityWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed1IntensityWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLed2ColorWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed2ColorWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLed2IntensityWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed2IntensityWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLed3ColorWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed3ColorWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLed3IntensityWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed3IntensityWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLed4ColorWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed4ColorWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLed4IntensityWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed4IntensityWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLed5ColorWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed5ColorWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLed5IntensityWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed5IntensityWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLed6ColorWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed6ColorWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLed6IntensityWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed6IntensityWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLed7ColorWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed7ColorWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLed7IntensityWhenOff”: null,
“defaultLed7IntensityWhenOn”: null,
“defaultLevelLocal”: null,
“defaultLevelRemote”: null,
“dimmingSpeedDownLocal”: null,
“dimmingSpeedDownRemote”: null,
“dimmingSpeedUpLocal”: null,
“dimmingSpeedUpRemote”: null,
“doubleTapUpEvent”: null,
“energy”: null,
“loadLevelIndicatorTimeout”: null,
“maximumLevel”: null,
“minimumLevel”: null,
“periodicPowerAndEnergyReports”: null,
“physicalOnOffDelay”: null,
“power”: null,
“powerType”: null,
“rampRateOffToOnLocal”: null,
“rampRateOffToOnRemote”: null,
“rampRateOnToOffLocal”: null,
“rampRateOnToOffRemote”: null
}

1 Like

@ThatTallGuy In my test environment, I am able to see the powerType, but there seems to be an issue where the UI doesn’t update with the new state. Try pressing the blue refresh button next to the powerType, that should perform a “get” from the UI and then change the state of any of the numeric based parameters. Does it update for you then?

@epow Try the same thing for the switchType param as well. Get → change a numeric value.

Nothing for me… I also tried directly reading the attribute via the dev console tab, and it never populates the value box when I click “Read.” Looks like this before and after the Read request:

Edit: doesn’t appear that console does anything. I can choose attributes that I know are set (like ramp rate) and it gives me nothing. At any rate the swirly-arrow refresh buttons don’t change anything for me on the Exposes tab.

Nothing like this:

1 Like

Ugh <facepalm> my log level was too restrictive. Changed it to info and it shows powerType 1, switchType 0. Strange that the same is never reflected on the Exposes tab…

I’m not seeing any errors in the latest version of the converter… looks just like the other enums:

Yeah, I think there is something odd going on with the exposes tab. For me it just doesn’t update when it is supposed to. I will take a look later tonight and see if I can see anything that needs to be changed. It might be when it is set, the wrong value is being transposed to the MQTT data store. The converter tries to make some of the parameters more user friendly rather than straight numeric values.

1 Like

As requested, I hit the arrows circle icon next to ‘powerType’ on the Exposes tab. I didn’t immediately see powerType updated. However, looks like it updated within the past 30 minutes because now I see the powerType as “Non Neutral” under both Exposes and State tabs. Thanks!

If you are installing in a non-neutral configuration just note that energy reporting is not available and will always show null.

1 Like

I am seeing a lot of these in the home assistant logs (running mosquitto and zigbee2mqtt as addons in haos). Perhaps your theory about the wrong value being transposed is valid?

Logger: homeassistant.components.mqtt.select
Source: components/mqtt/select.py:164
Integration: MQTT (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 8:33:23 PM (179 occurrences)
Last logged: 9:30:36 PM

Invalid option for select.0x040xxx_smartbulbmode: '1' (valid options: ['Disabled', 'Smart Bulb Mode'])
Invalid option for select.0x040xxx_switchtype: '0' (valid options: ['Single Pole', '3-Way Dumb Switch', '3-Way Aux Switch'])

FYI-- I’m going to keep this thread open unless you think it should be closed and the details moved to a different thread as it appears there’s some other issues outside my original one.