Can't upgrade firmware using Zooz S2 Stick 700 and Smart Things

I attempted to use the zooz 700 stick for my Home Assistant setup, actually 3 of them, and found them unusable with Inovelli for basic control because of duplicate messages on the network, even when using the PC controller software LZW31 Duplicate messages flooding zwave network - #24 by flipontheradio

I never updated firmware with the zooz 700 but there does seem to be some odd communication between them.

Agreed. I just finished rebuilding my zwave network yesterday using my zooz 700 and my zwave network has been the most unstable it’s been in I can’t even remember how long. I have some firmware updates to run on my end, but because of the instability I’m too nervous to personally run the update using this stick.

I’m hoping it will be able to limp along until the weekend where I’m going to give the Silicon Labs SLUSB001A a shot. A little sad no one has the US Aeotec 700 in stock, was going to go that route.

Both the Zooz 500 and 700 have given me troubles for some reason.

Just bought this (will deliver tomorrow) and will post results:

Thanks!

1 Like

That one I can personally vouch for; it should work very well for upgrading!

1 Like

This is from memory, but I think you will need to reset the adapter in PC Controller. You shouldn’t be seeing all those devices since you are now using the PC Controller in the “standalone” mode. They are left over from the aborted SmartThings integration.

I went through similar secondary controller drama recently. I was eventually able to get it working. Possibly this thread my provide some clues

Okay so I just tried the HUSBZB-1, followed the directions here (trying to add the controller as a secondary controller to smartthings) and am having the same problem. I’m able to get through step 3, adding the controller and providing the DSK. The smartthings app hangs on the DSK input screen, but when I look at ide.smartthings.com, I can see the controller is there. The Z-Wave Controller software seems to recognize that it has been added and has the [S2] indicator.

Then when I move to step 4, I click “Node Info” on the switch. It does NOT get the [S0] security scheme prefix like the instructions suggest. Not sure if that’s important.

When I specify the otz file and go to update Target 0, I see the following:

It stays on “packet# 1 of 5051 written” until it finally fails with:

I tried a fragment size of 40 and 20. Same results.

Grrr…pretty much the same as the other stick, so I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Gonna try the non-smartthings way of upgrading now, but let me know if you see something stupid I’m doing.

Okay, using the exclusion method seems to be working now. otz file is processing. bin is up next. Will let you know the results!

1 Like

If only we could all get paid for the amount of frustration we’ve all had with our smart homes… :joy:

4 Likes

Bin worked too. Of course now when I try to add the device to smartthings it hangs after the DSK entry. SmartThings seems to think it’s there. It’s in the app and api.smartthings, but when I try to control it through the app it says “server error occurred”. Grrr…maybe I’ll reboot the hub.

2 Likes

Did you exclude it from the PC Controller before you tried to add it back into SmartThings?

I did eventually get this upgraded device to smartthings, but then I started having problems with “ghost” devices (copies of this device that just wouldn’t work or go away.

This and many other problems made me want to try out Home Assistant. So far, I really like it. That said, I’m now back at having an issue with this upgraded Inovelli device. I added the device to Home Assistant and it recognized it okay. It also showed it was now on the later version of the firmware, which is also good.

That said, a while after I added it and started adding other inovelli switches, that switch started acting crazy. It was on an endless loop of red, green, blue LED lights:

And at the end of each loop the light the switch is connected to flashes on and then off.

Interacting with the switch hasn’t helped. I tried:

1. Holding down the config button for 20 seconds, but the sequence never stops and the button doesn’t seem to matter
  2. Pulling the “air switch” to cut power and restore it. No effect. It goes right back into its loop
  3. I used Z-Wave controller to “reset” the controller, wondering if maybe it was sending it wacky signals. Nope. No change. This seems to be local to the device.

Any idea what’s going on? I can’t access the device to include/exclude and modify the firmware. I’m hoping it’s not bricked.

Thanks!

I should mention that I checked out this thread here: Red Series flashing red, green and blue after pairing

The problem seems a little different, however, as I can’t even get this to pair or respond to any button pushes.

The light bulb attached is just a dumb bulb. Nothing special.

Neutral install or non-neutral?

Non-Neutral

Incandescent or LED bulb? Sounds like the dimmer is rebooting due to a lack of power. You probably need a bypass.

Incandescent. It’s odd because the dimmer was working fine the day before and had been for over a year. No changes to wiring have occurred.

That said, we did have a 5 second power outage the previous night. Is that a factor? I didn’t immediately jump to that as my other 8 inovelli dimmers, on the older firmware, are fine.

Thanks!

It could be. Power outages are notorious for surges when the power is restored. I have never lost an Inovelli to a power restoration event, but I have lost GE switches and garage door opener boards. I highly recommend the use of a whole house surge protector in your panel.

Just came across this, which sounds similar:

@Eric_Inovelli : is this the reported behavior when a red series dimmer suffers power surge damage?

I may have reproduced the behavior on a different switch without any concern around power surge.

On a second switch that I have paired with my home assistant, I tried changing the “smart bulb mode” setting to true (my bulbs are wiz in this case) and the red/green/blue behavior started again. I switch it back and it is fixed. When I look at my firmware version it says “1.47, 1.41”.

Only difference between these switches is that the second one remains connected to my home assistant. I can’t seem to pair the other one.

That give anyone more ideas?