Config button interfering with paddle operation

@anon64478871 I know everyone has their own idea of ways to “solve” the config button issue/non-issue. Just my random thought… The config button is really easy to pop out once you pop the switch off. It would be cool if inovelli could produce a flush button and sell it as an accessory. I would happily pay for one for every switch of mine, I’m guessing they would be super cheap to manufacture and design, same button just lower profile. Just an idea

2 Likes

Actually I was thinking the config button could be flush with the box plate so it could be hidden by the face plate. As far as I can tell the config button is only needed for inclusion/exclusion and thus hidden seems to be a good way to fix that… well unless you want to config other settings but if hidden under the face plate it’s still a better idea… you can’t accidentally hit then :):slight_smile:

Don’t move my config button, it’s button 7 and very useful for toggling switch states in rules :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m going to vote against changing the profile of the button out of the box, and instead look at if firmware can address differently multiple button presses at the same time. That or start including a second “flush” button that can be swapped in if desired.

I use the config button as a “favorite” scene in almost all my installs. The most-useful scene for that location always is set to that button.

@flipontheradio This looks like a very good suggestion which would let anyone who doesn’t use the config button as a scene button to eliminate the possibility of finding the config button in the dark instead of the on paddle. I’d buy a low profile button for each of my switches if it’s as easy as popping off the switch to replace the existing one.

@Terk, I decided to to test creating my own flush mount buttons using a palm sander and several grits of sandpaper. I’m happy with the end result and will probably work on converting the entire house over.

9 Likes

That turned out looking really good. I’m interested in doing the same mod.

I looked more closely at the buttons, and I noticed the config button protrudes quite a bit more than the paddle. It looks like shortening the button might eliminate accidental presses while keeping the config button functional.

@flipontheradio That looks great, I was afraid the config button would be extruded plastic with a hollow center. I think I will try that this weekend. Thanks!

Here is an idea of how much I took off as compared to a normal config button. I started with 120 grit and then went on to 240, 400, 600, 800 and finally 1000, I’m sure that’s overkill though. Only thing to watch is rounding the top of the button as you sand, I had to use the edge of the sander to flatten it back out. Best of luck!

1 Like

Nicely done. That looks really good.

That turned out very good! I will have to give this a try.

@Eric_Inovelli - Take note. This is probably well worth discussing for the next version.

2 Likes

Or maybe sell a “low profile button” it in the store? You already sell replacement paddles add this to the list.

I really like the low profile but I have 30+ switches and don’t want to have to do them all.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay here – just starting to get caught up with tickets, forum questions, beta testing, and filling some of the internal gaps due to the transition of a few people.

So, I definitely understand the predicament here and it seems like yes, there’s something that at least needs to be addressed via firmware to make it so the lights turn on even if both the config and paddle are hit at the same time. Off the top of my head, maybe there’s a way to disable Button 7 (config button) so that if you press it as well as the paddle, the switch knows to just turn on.

@EricM_Inovelli – is there a way to do this via a handler or something? I’m guessing not, but figured I’d ask.

In terms of hardware – I do think @GavinCampbell has the solution we’ve been discussing internally. On one hand, if we change up the design for V2, everyone who likes the config button the way it is and/or has purchased V1 switches will be upset that their V2 paddles don’t match their V1’s.

I realize this is not the best news for people who prefer the low-profile look as the paddles are ~$3 and can add up fast but as you can see in this thread (although this is a low sample compared to switches sold) some people prefer it the way it is, while others do not.

We’re leaning towards the separate paddle because we’re also considering offering a different LED bar design for dimmers. Something closer to the HomeSeer HS200+ look where it shows individual LED’s. It would be a simple change in the paddle design.

Long story short, we do have notes out to the manufacturer to help with this enhancement via firmware. From a hardware standpoint (paddles), this is something we can certainly explore offering a low-profile version if there’s enough interest.

5 Likes

From a non-firmware software perspective, there really isn’t much to do other than having the scene for the config button turn the light on. It seems like the combination of pressing them both at the same time cancels out both button presses.

I like the idea of shortening it as a possible “permanent” fix. As you mentioned, we have alternative paddles on the docket to change the design (to look more like Homeseer or others). Something that the user could purchase and swap out.

A cheaper alternative would be to sell just the config button in a shorter version. Speaking of that, does anyone here have the time / ability to create a 3D printable version of the config button? It would be great to give that option to our users.

1 Like

I wonder if just making it a bit shorter would help solve most cases: not so short that it’s only good as a config button but not sticking out as far as the main paddle.

1 Like

One thing we (@EricM_Inovelli, @anon14959390 and I) talked about yesterday that we are going to run by the manufacturer is to have them create a slimmer design for just the config button and maybe just sell them in packs of 10 or something for a few bucks.

We could also see if they’d sell us alternate LED bars to mimic the HomeSeer / Lutron look.

In other words, instead of selling individual paddles for $3/piece, just sell the individual components for much less.

What do you guys think? @shaddy

More to come here.

7 Likes

Yes please. Even though I’ve already modded all 23 switches in my house by sanding the config button down (I’m beyond happy with them) I would happily buy a few packs of official config button replacements if they were reasonably priced and are flush. I tried slightly raised and decided I liked the flush look

2 Likes

I, nor any of my family have had this problem, yet. But I do like this idea. The pictures from customers that have already modified theirs, I like the look! Offering them separately may allow those who want a different color for this button, options. I personally wouldn’t do that. That would almost be as bad as horizontal faceplate screws. :astonished:

1 Like

Are you trying to fight me? LOL

1 Like