[DEVICE PAGE] Inovelli 4-in-1 motion sensor LZW60

This is throwing me off. There is an issue if the device does not send a report for x hours it can stop the reporting, but not minutes that I know of. The workaround for the problem is to request a battery report every 12 hours and this is written into the device handler and driver for SmartThings / Hubitat. There is also a firmware update that addresses this issue.

Which hub are you using?

SmartThings.

I restarted the device multiple times and it finally took. It has been running for a week now without issues. It’s just weird that it was in a funky state, it actually prevented my Schlage Z-Wave door lock form communicating with the Hub. The Schlage lock reestablished communication once this Motion sensor was reset.

I’m definitely interested. There are not many humidity sensors out there.

1 Like

Good start to my Monday morning reading these might come back in stock! And here is my Ted Talk for the week.

I see three things that impact the inovelli customer base; 1 significant other, 2 money, 3 experience.

1 Significant others - household by-in is big since these products can change daily habits and change is never easy. This is where inovelli marketing strategy should include simple daily life examples how these products can enhance their lives (using voice, scenes, master kill switches). A second impact of significant others is look. Inovelli really shines here, in my opinion they have the best looking switch (especially when paired with screw-less wall-plate), but a big win for me is that every switch can be inovelli. In the smart home world it seems things tend to be more piece by piece and with my significant other inconstant look and different company products with different functionality would never receive approval, hence the plan is to change every switch. The 10 packs were a smart move here for inovelli, the goal/marketing should be how awesome 2 and 3 gang boxes look with every switch being inovelli or a room that has multiple gang boxes all being inovelli. Sell the beautiful design for 1 then sell the idea that every switch should be inovelli which is enhanced by the 10 pack discount. Third on significant other is non-smart use. If a significant other wants to use the switch the old fashion way this product is perfect for them, one partner can enjoy the smart benefits and the other is not impacted :slight_smile:

2 money - As we all know money does not in fact grow on trees, sadly. I believe there in an evolution in the products a customer would buy from inovelli and the concept of needs vs wants. This is where inovelli having the black line (though not for me) is a good idea to help drive down cost a bit as well as discounts/kits (more on kits later)

3 experience - due to money and brand experience I see the products invoelli offers as steps that have to be taken or sequential phases. Switches then bulbs then sensors. The newer demand for sensors I believe is due to the inovelli customers starting to get to the sensor phase. This is where marking efforts should be to get customers to the next phase. Showing the benefits of having a switch paired with a light (circadian rhythm, colors bring joy to kids). Sowing the benefit examples of sensors (motions to turn on closet/pantry light, humidity to turn on fan, lumin to turn on lights). One new idea I see here when all products are back in stock is that inovelli start selling a starter kit (1 red dimmer, 1 red on/off, 1 ilumin bulb, 1 sensor) give or take a few items, at a small discount to combat the money factor and to reduce experience hump of a new idea. Ending note on this topic is that I have noticed quite a few smart home people really get into documentation and reviews before even buying. This means for all stages continuing to keep improving the knowledge base with simple to follow instructions on how to set everything up especially when pairing with other inovelli products is key.

My two cents on inovelli customer life cycles and marketing
1 - customer is persuaded to buy a starter kit (from seeing marketing about simple examples where smart product can improve their lives, how good looking the products are, and how switches can still be used the old fashion way for less barrier for guests and significant others, I completely forgot notifications up to this point but I know that is a good selling factor for inovelli)
2 - customer buy 10 pack switches all once or in phases as money allows for the whole home (from seeing marketing how beautiful a whole home solution looks as well as benefits to having all switch be smart in terms of dimmer visual and notifications)
3 - customer buys ilumin bulbs all once or in phases as money allows for the whole home (from seeing marketing of the benefits of pairing a smart switch with a smart bulb)
4 - customer buys sensors all once or in phases as money allows for the whole home (from seeing marketing of the benefits of including sensors)

I will conclude by saying everything I have seen from the small inovelli team has been amazing and I can’t wait to continue to watch them as they grow!

1 Like

are we still looking q1 q2 till these are back in stock, becuase unfort. i cannot wait that long. and wil lhave to find an alternative.

thanks

@EricM_Inovelli: this happened again, I have not received an update from the USB powered sensor since Thursday.

Anything I can do to troubleshoot the issue before I try to reset and pray?

@Eric_Inovelli: any thoughts here before I have to file a warranty claim?

We have a message out to our manufacturer to look into this – @EricM_Inovelli have you heard back from them?

@Eric_Inovelli and @EricM_Inovelli: any updates on this?

There is a beta firmware that’s noted to help with sensor reporting issues ([DEVICE PAGE] Inovelli 4-in-1 motion sensor LZW60). If you haven’t already you may want to try it to see if that helps.

@Eric_Inovelli Did a support page ever get created to track known issues?

Just put one up :slight_smile: – sorry for the delay!

I am sorry to read about that.

I have 2 and like them. I wanted to buy more. The versatility of having a USB port for power is top notch. With that in mind, I wanted to buy 2 more but might be in for 4 more actually.

Keep up the good work and all the best, I hope you get your money back and the scammers get hammered by whatever law enforcement that goes after them.

1 Like

I’d like to state my eagerness to see another batch of these! I have one at the moment, and was hoping to put a few more around the house. Sorry about the unfortunate thing that happened earlier. I wonder what somebody would do with 500 of these things other than sell them, and I think that’d be a pretty dumb thing to try and do if there’s only 2000 in existence… be pretty obvious where they went lol.

1 Like

We will be bringing these back! Looks like April of 2021 with delays in timelines for everything. Huge lack of raw materials for all z-wave products being made due to the pandemic. But they will be back!

6 Likes

That is great news, I’m in for at least a few more!

What’s the trick to updating the firmware on the sensor?

In the PC Controller software, when I select the device and Node Info, I get an error that a wake up interval is not set for this device.

Pull the battery and use a USB cable and a power brick during the firmware update. Work like this when I updated mine.

The motion sensor is currently connected to power and I still get the message about wake up interval.

Tap the button next to the battery. Should wake it up.

I should have said to tap button also. hope it works for you. You may need to remove and re-include device and try immediately after include.