Energy consumption readings

@Eric_Inovelli

Any responses yet?

@PJF As someone that doesn’t have the equipment, can’t justify the cost, but loves seeing this level of detail and has just enough academic knowledge to understand the graphs produced by it: Thank you very much for the scope pictures and the analysis of some of the finer points around A/C devices. This is very much appreciated!

1 Like

@PJF I wonder if the fix for that is just a firmware update. 2.5W seems to be constantly reported and as accurate measurements of <1W are tricky to implement on the switch it should be a software fix.

@All
Is there a good way to reach the developers? Does Inovelli have a ticketing system?

Yes, most likely they’d have to change the software and report a fixed off value. The off-state power consumption will change depending on the relay being on or off which can happen in a dumb 3-way configuration.

I believe the best path to reach the developers is @EricM_Inovelli and yes they do have a ticketing system. You can submit a ticket here: https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/home

The specs for the MCU (Z-Wave) & Holtek, LEDs, etc. on the switch and dimmer should draw about .5w - 1w when the load is off (closer to .5 from my experience). I have requested that the manufacturer look into improving the accuracy of the KwH reporting.

Edit: Oh, and the devices report 0w usage when off as to not confuse the user. We did have a firmware version that came out where 1w was reported (rounded up), but I think I remember a lot of people being confused. Another option is to not report the power usage of the internals in the KwH report. That might be easier for the engineers to implement.

2 Likes

Thanks @EricM_Inovelli , good information.

I would prefer that KwH keeps the current draw from the switch included but instead uses the 0.5w draw instead of the observed 2.5W draw it seems to be using right now. I like that that value is ‘honest’ about the overall power usage of that circuit.

As always, we appreciate the willingness to adapt and improve!

1 Like

The devices say 0W, but the kWh calculation seems to be using 2-2.5W in the calculation while off.

It would be best to include switch power to be completely truthful about the numbers, but it’d be better to not report it in both the kW and kWh than what is currently done.

@EricM_Inovelli @Eric_Inovelli - Any word from the manufacture if this can be adjusted in a future firmware release? The WAF is dropping as she thinks the power from all my smart switches is what’s driving our high electricity bills and I think it’s because she leaves the lights on. :smiley:

The switch consumption isn’t going to change just because the firmware changes how it calculates. The draw is between .5 and 1 W so you can do the math from that . . .

Recommend looking at www.sense.com. I installed it at my load center and it does a fairly good job at monitor lung the loads in real time. Amazing how much kWh the blow dryer or dryer use.

That’s fair - but this is what my wife sees. (The aux switches are “dumb” switches that don’t have load and are part of a 3 to 4 way pair)

It shows that the dummy switch that doesn’t have any load on it is drawing more power than the furnace and A/C. Right now these switches are reporting ~2.5W usage per hour which is far higher than they are actually using.

It’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it would be a good one to get course-corrected.

As far as sense, it’s on my list of things to buy but right now I keep using my fun money to buy more invovelli switches because I have more things to automate. :smiley:

2 Likes

Watch Sense for Black Friday deals. I bought mine during normal prices and literally a couple weeks later a big discount for BF or Cyber Monday :man_facepalming:.

Cool, will do! What kind of discounts are we talking about?

I thought I’ve seen it down to $199 (prior to chip shortages), but not 100% sure. There’s currently a $40 on it now. Square D also has a white label product called Wiser so check both out for upcoming deals.

1 Like

@EricM_Inovelli @Eric_Inovelli - Hey guys - just doing my monthly check-in to see if this is anywhere in the priority queue to get fixed. Any word from the manufacture if this can be adjusted in a future firmware release?

Or maybe is there an open bug list that is being worked through to see if this is even getting tracked?

1 Like

Regular sense us $199 on Amazon for cyber Monday. Sense flex and solar are $289.

I got the email today too! I still have mine in the box from the move. One day I’ll get it installed.

Did this ever get an update? I’d like to understand if the switch readings is accurate.

1 Like

Checkin in for the Blue 2-1 as well.
Did we get / do we have official confirmation from vendor about power consumption? Is it reported correctly?