Fan/Light Switch Disconnection Issue Thread

Answers above

FYI, mine seems to be “working” again. I haven’t had any notable issues in over a week.

No clue what is up.

Date switch was purchased

• 9/14/20, but you replaced the fan module at some point.

Approximate distance from switch to fan canopy

• 10 feet

Approximate internal temperature (in house) and external temperature (outside)

• temp always inside in 72-76 range, ouside has been from 28-98

What is your hub/gateway (ie: SmartThings, Hubitat, etc)?

• Samsung ST v2

What firmware version are you on (if you don’t know, leave blank, but it’s helpful)?

• Don’t know how to find out!

Have you made any parameter changes?

• No

Approximate wattage of your bulbs

• 2x 9 watt LED/800 lumens

Does the disconnection happen when using the fan, the light or both?

• Both, although I rarely use the fan

Do you notice any patterns (ie: time of day, time since last disconnection, etc)?

• Agree with random - started out every few days, then got to be faster.

My fan is a Hunter

FWIW: When I now try to do a ‘Pair switch to Canopy Module’, I get flashing red bars after about a minute of trying. I’ve done an exclusion and factory reset (several times) with the same result.

1 Like

Hello! Popping in again to see if there are any movements on this. Although my switch has been relatively fine for the last month or two (it did fail to receive commands two times)

Curious mind. Why did the design of the fan/light switch go the route of using the RF canopy module? Was it an off the shelf unit that had a quick integration with the switch? It seems like limiting the number of failure points and using 2 wireless links could make for sticky situations.

I compare the design to a Lutron Maestro IR fan/light combo switch I picked up about 10 years ago. They don’t make it anymore but its been one of the most rock solid devices I’ve ever purchased. The switch itself uses no neutral. Communication with the canopy module for both light and fan is over a single load line. I’ve never reset it once, it always returns to the previous light or fan levels. It doesn’t support LED dimming as its too dated but it works for me. I wish they made an updated RadioRA2 version of it for better smarthome integration than just IR.

I’m still rooting for Project Windy City (the dedicated fan zwave controller) to happen some day! All our other fans are dedicated fans with no downlights.

Hey everyone! Not sure if this will be helpful or not.

I’ve replied here before stating my issues with my LZW36. Since my problem post, my switch randomly started working again when we came back from vacation. Last night we had a power outage, went out and back on 4-5 times over the course of 60 seconds. I walked up to the bedroom to find the switch not communicating with the canopy module again. Switch was responsive, but no commands received by the canopy. Tried air gaps and breaker resets to no avail.

I remembered that I’ve got a canopy module from a warranty replacement to fix flickering lights that I never installed due to our new baby taking up all our time. Turned the breaker off and installed the new canopy module, paired it, and everything started working as designed.

I understand that the new canopy module working properly doesn’t prove much on its own, but maybe the old one dying could be helpful. Power surge, quick on/off cycles, low or high voltage sending things haywire. Maybe something you guys can play with on the test bench to try to nail this down.

I’m operational for now, just figured I’d pass on my scenario in case it helps inovelli track this down.

Ironically my new canopies also work well while my original canopy is the one that is having trouble still…

I finally got around to installing the last of like 4-5 of these I ordered a long time ago and sure enough it was the only one to give me trouble.

After an update to the latest firmware and a power cycle I got the switch connected but on press from the wall or triggering on from the hub wasn’t passing commands to the fan module.

After applying the latest firmware and double checking ALL my wiring I finally got the fan to work but stil no signal from the light.

Long story short I spent almost two entire days reading these forums and other random sources for potential solutions.

Just as I was about to give up forever I had a random idea… killed the power from the breaker one last time, unscrewed the led BULB in the fan, then gently rotated/cleaned the inside of the cylinder and the fan’s lightbulb contacts.

After a simple wipe down inside the empty socket I stuck the original LEF back where I found in, restored power from the breaker and all was working perfectly.

I must have wasted a good number of hours trying to figure out what was wrong previously and it all boiled down to just a single dirty light socket.

1 Like

After having such a bad time with this device over the last few months, I almost forgot about it. Then last week it hit me that I’ve not had any failed attempts to turn it on or off for the last few weeks. I haven’t done anything more with it since my last update, but it’s been good lately.

Just wanted to let everyone in this thread know that as of now, we still do not have an update from our manufacturer. We ask on a weekly basis but so far have gotten no where with them.

We did put the remaining units up that we had left, without fixing the disconnection issue as we had people who were wanting them and not everyone is experiencing the issue.

So if you want one we have 24 units left at the moment!

3 Likes

Aw man, I’m too late to the party aren’t I?

I have been randomly coming back to check stock for months hoping to pick up at least one more of these. :confused:

Follow-up to my previous issues. I had another unopened Fan+Light package. Tried yesterday to swap out the fan module for my previously unused module. Didn’t change the switch and was able to successfully pair to the fan module. Everything’s now working properly as installed (except for my additional switch which seemingly has a working wall switch but broken fan module).

1 Like
  • Date switch was purchased - 7/8/2020

• Approximate distance from switch to fan canopy - 10 feet

• Approximate internal temperature (in house) and external temperature (outside) - 70F inside 60-90F out

• What is your hub/gateway (ie: SmartThings, Hubitat, etc)? - hubitat

• What firmware version are you on (if you don’t know, leave blank, but it’s helpful)? - 1.31

• Have you made any parameter changes? - no

• Approximate wattage of your bulbs - 3x 7W

• Does the disconnection happen when using the fan, the light or both? - usually while both are off

• Do you notice any patterns (ie: time of day, time since last disconnection, etc)? Works fine for months and the randomly won’t stay connected

Other notes, sometimes I have to leave it airgapped for 1hour plus to get it to resync

Date switch was purchased: March 4, 2021 from Amazon

Approximate distance from switch to fan canopy: 12 ft

Approximate internal temperature (in house) and external temperature (outside): Int: 72-80F Ext 60-110F

What is your hub/gateway (ie: SmartThings, Hubitat, etc)? SmartThings

What firmware version are you on (if you don’t know, leave blank, but it’s helpful)? Did not update.

Have you made any parameter changes? Reduce delay for faster on.

Approximate wattage of your bulbs. Four 4W LEDs (16W total)

Does the disconnection happen when using the fan, the light or both? Don’t recall, believe it happened when not using either. I notice it when trying to turn the light back on and light does not respond

Do you notice any patterns (ie: time of day, time since last disconnection, etc)? No. I have not noticed any power outages for the 5 months since owning the switch combo

Wall box is a single gang plastic box mounted on wood with drywall, canopy is metal.

The disconnects happened only a few times total, maybe 3 or 4 in all, before the main switch became completely unresponsive - no LED indications and air gap reset doesn’t do anything. Just a dead switch, which is likely unrelated to the disconnect issue, but figured I’d give the data I had on the disconnect as well.

Since I have two of these with this issue, I’m happy to send them in for testing.

Additionally, we have two other bedrooms with LZW36 on the latest firmware and bought all at the same time from Amazon however we have no issues at all with those.

Any update on this!??? … The one we have in our kitchen has been pretty bad lately. Like almost daily. Oddly enough it’s usually the one in the dining room that has issues, it’s been fine for the most part, for upwards of a few months. I have noticed mine will work fine for sometime then go nuts for a while then work fine. Weird I know, but this is prob the worse it’s been for that switch anyway.

No update. We are still open to doing returns and refunds for those who want it.

I was sent a replacement unit and unfortunately it’s started to do the same as well. So out of 4, 3 of them are having this issue. 1 had held strong all the way through.

I did have an interesting thing happen tonight though that I haven’t seen before. I hit the switch to turn the light on and it was completely unresponsive. Normally I turn it off again out of habit, but this time I didn’t. About 20 minutes later while sitting on the couch, the light turned on! I don’t have a single automation on that switch, my home assistant app was closed and there was nobody else around it.

Not sure if anybody else has seen this, or if I should call in the ghostbusters.

I’d like to do an exchange for my lzw36. How do I go about doing that?

We are not doing exchanges or replacements, it is returns and refunds only at the moment. If you’d like to return for a refund you can write into the ticketing system and we will arrange for you to send it back!

[email protected]