Fan/Light Switch Disconnection Issue Thread

My switch stopped working again yesterday and hasn’t come back. So that didn’t last long. The weather and everything else is unchanged. It seems random.

And no, @DeltaNu1142, I use SmartThings and haven’t updated anything to my knowledge.

Mine are both working as of this morning, the first time that’s happened in a month or so. I have no explanation.

Funny thing… My switch has been working fine since the last 2-3 weeks also. I have no explanation or changes.

Mine seem to be at their normal 75% reliability.

• Date switch was purchased - Sept 15, 2020
  • Approximate distance from switch to fan canopy - 10ft
  • Approximate internal temperature (in house) and external temperature (outside) - 65-72F
  • What is your hub/gateway (ie: SmartThings, Hubitat, etc)? ISY with HomeAssistant to control
  • What firmware version are you on (if you don’t know, leave blank, but it’s helpful)?
  • Have you made any parameter changes? None
  • Approximate wattage of your bulbs - was 15W LED with Aeotec resister but lights would never go off, switched to Incandesant 40W.
  • Does the disconnection happen when using the fan, the light or both? More so noticed on the light. Fan is left on most of the time.
  • Do you notice any patterns (ie: time of day, time since last disconnection, etc)? Do not.

Here is a video of the challenge: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SWaEbkPUjyEmWkiX6

My light’s behavior has been consistent with what you’re experiencing, @mecheng.

Until, that is, I lost connection totally… now nothing works.

@JordanB that is not good. I have this switch in my Airbnb unit. If that does out, the wife factor will be greatly affected.

I bought a bunch of fan/light switches a while back and they have been nothing but trouble (this thread and the parent thread document the issues pretty well). It looks like I missed an update. I’m still on firmware version 1.31.

My problem is I cannot flash the firmware. I am running HomeSeer, which does not yet support flashing .gbl files. So, I followed the instructions to install Z-Wave PC Controller 5 and try to update it that way. Because I have home seer, which uses a USB z-wave stick I thought I could skip the remove and include instructions and just flash the LZW36… it didn’t work. So, I went through the full instructions step by step to completely remove, then re-add the a node and flash it. No success. I tried different options, but I always come back with the same error “Unable to receive”. I even tried moving the controller right next to the switch. Still nothing.

Any help or advice on how to flash v1.36 would be highly appreciated!

Here is a screenshot of one of my attempts (along with the log).

P.S. I am using a HomeSeer SmartStick+ z-stick. I was just doing some reading and it looks like it is a 500 series device. Should that work? or do I need a 700 Series z-stick (since a .gbl is a 700 series update)?

As a follow-up to my post 5 days ago (#61 above), one of my two fan/light switches has stopped responding. Z-wave control of the switch works fine, but the fan and light won’t respond. Originally it was the other one that wasn’t working.

I realize that just saying, “oh, this other one isn’t working now” isn’t that helpful, but I really don’t have anything to attribute it to. Whether one or the other or both switches are going to work or not work seems completely random, but when it happens, it happens for several days at a time.

This is the primary issue I run into. I’m on my second light/fan switch (RMAed the first one). The first constantly disconnected from the canopy module. The second becomes unresponsive to Hubitat commands. It seems like either

1. The RF to the canopy module causes interference with the Z wave frequencies, or
  2. The fan light switch is overwhelming the Hubitat with commands /logs. Sometimes, the commands just take a while to complete, like it’s trying to send the command, and finally does.

Do we have any updates?

Thanks!

We are talking to our manufacturer tonight so we should have a better update for you tomorrow. They have not given us any news of findings so far.

3 Likes

Are RMA requests being honored while this is being figured out?

Yes, you can return the switch for a refund. No exchanges or replacements.

1 Like

Thank you Courtney! How would I go about this, having purchased it on Amazon 9ish months ago?

I am jumping into this thread as well.

Often my plug will lose connectivity with the unit by the fan. The fan control is the one that most often stops working, with lights sometimes.

Have there been any firmware updates recently to try and address this? Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot?

Generally a hard reboot (using the air gap) of the device fixes the issue.

Single gang plastic box.

• Date switch was purchased (10/5/2020)
  • Approximate distance from switch to fan canopy - line of sight - 8 feet
  • Approximate internal temperature (in house) and external temperature (outside) (in house - 78, outside, 85)
  • What is your hub/gateway (ie: SmartThings, Hubitat, etc)? (hubitat)
  • What firmware version are you on (if you don’t know, leave blank, but it’s helpful)? (1.36)
  • Have you made any parameter changes? (no)
  • Approximate wattage of your bulbs (4 lifx 800 lumen bulbs @ 9 watts each)
  • Does the disconnection happen when using the fan, the light or both? (much more with the fan)
  • Do you notice any patterns (ie: time of day, time since last disconnection, etc)? (no real pattern I can discern).

Matt

You can update a 700 series device with a 500 series z-stick (I have done it myself).

When you excluded/reincluded the device, did you use the PC Controller software, or did you do it with Home Seer? My guess is that you included with Home Seer with security, but did not import the security keys into the PC Controller software (this is just a guess though. I dont include any of my devices with security so it has never been an issue for me).

My recommendation would be to exclude/reinclude using the PC Controller software. If successful, exclude again, then re-include with Home Seer.

Hey jtronicus, thanks for the reply! When I excluded/reincluded, I was using the PC controller. For the LZW36 switches, I have them all added without security from Homeseer. Good suggestions, though.

Are you using the latest version of the PC Controller software (current version is 5.51.301)?

Edit: never mind. Looks like I was running an older version (I was wondering why your interface looked slightly different from mine. Current version appears to be 5.52.301

I am using the 5.52.301 version. I did find my problem, though. I had to click the shield icon (top right in the screenshot) that brings up the security settings. Then I un-checked all the boxes across the top and hit apply. After that, everything worked like a charm.

P.S. For anybody else needing to do the update. I was not able to find/download the Z-Wave PC Controller by itself. I had to download “Simplicity Studio”. Then from within that tool, you use the install feature to install it. Then the tools menu to launch it. I think that step is new, but it threw me for a loop for a little while (as the old links to the Z-Wave PC Controller no longer worked).