Fan & Light Switch (Project Hurricane)

How could the canopy module be manipulated except via the wall switch or Z-Wave? It’s proprietary RF between the switch and the module, so with its current/proposed design, you’d need either the switch or hub involved to change anything. There is no option to use the canopy module directly, so I don’t see how the problem you mention could arise.

Controller sends command to canopy module. Module (for whatever reason) doesn’t receive command, while controller assumes it did. The two are now out of sync.

1 Like

Only thing stopping me is the lack of RF Remote. I keep a simple RF remote on the nightstand in the bedroom. Having both SmartThings and RF control would be ideal. I know I can buy a Minimote or something else and program it but the Hampton bay RF remote looks so good.

Any plans for an RF Remote in V2?

@bradlee313 Hopefully this earlier question answers yours

Well you could think of the wall switch as an RF remote… It’s just not mobile :wink:

Seriously though, you could easily associate a button controller with the wall switch to accomplish this.

That’s great news! Thanks for the info.

Hi, is there a way I can sign up for the beta test? I would like to purchase some of these, but I have been burned by pre-orders before in the past (multiple different companies). However, I don’t mind paying the $60 to get beta hardware and contributing.

Been quiet lately is the beta testing underway? How is it going??

@Eric_Inovelli thank you so much for all your hard work! so happy this switch is now a reality.

Were you able to get an answer to my questions from the manufacture?

@Eric_Inovelli , just checking here, the fan only has low, medium, and high settings?

I’m looking to replace my Lutron Maestro (which looks just like this except the lights and buttons are reveresed) which has 7 speeds.

Sorry if my question has been answered, I did search and can’t tell…
While I realize that this is for a fan/light combo, would it work to replace two separate single pole switches (controlling light fixtures) that are already in one gang?
I’m looking to replace something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-15-Amp-Single-Pole-Dual-Switch-White-R62-05634-0WS/100356887
If the fan switch leads to step-wise dimming of LED bulbs, fine with me… but I don’t want to order this and realize I can’t make it work.
thanks!

@psmucker you may want to follow these two threads.

@psmucker Look at the bottom of the original post for a wiring diagram. The switch doesn’t have load terminals it just talks to the canopy module which has the load wires and is designed to fit in the canopy of a ceiling fan, so it wouldn’t really work for your use case. I’d follow those posts @ViggS pointed to or look at Zooz’s Zen30 if you don’t want to wait.

Yeah, sorry – I forgot to respond here!

The answer to parent/child = yes. You will be able to control them separately via Alexa (assuming you have a Z-Wave hub that is connected to Alexa).

The answer to the question around using it as an on/off vs dimming – so far, that’s the goal. You’ll have the option to change the ramp rate and dimming speed on the switch to be instant to mimic an on/off bulb.

Hey thanks for asking and completely understand the risk behind pre-orders. We’re all closed for this round for beta testing, but possibly we can grab you for other projects as they come up!

Going well, thanks for asking! Units were sent out and we’re now in the process of testing. More to come, but yes, we’re all having some fun with the units!

Tonight (Feb 05, 2020) we’ll be able to talk further with the manufacturer about the firmware. Unfortunately, they’ve been mandated to work remotely until the 10th due to the coronavirus (luckily they are very far from the epicenter, but still…) and they had to cancel last week’s weekly check-in.

So, how I understand it is the fan has 1-99 levels of speed from a Z-Wave standpoint. The higher the level, the faster the fan goes. However, the platform the fan switch is connected to usually has some sort of built in, “fan theme” (ie: SmartThings and Hubitat have low, medium, high, etc). We’ve seen some drivers that allow smaller steps such as: low, low-medium, medium, medium-high, high

I have a ceiling fan that is directly wired into power and uses the pull chains to turn on lights and fan. Is it possible to install the box that comes with this switch, and the switch on separate power connections and have it work? I have a switch box with a free spot that already has another switch in it. So I can hook the switch into power. There’s just not a wire from there to the fan. I didn’t want to hire an electrician to run one but it sounds like this switch might work for me. Is that correct?

Hi @nullsmack, Welcome!

So if I understand your question correctly, yes you should be able to do this. The RF transceiver that gets mounted at the fan communicates to the switch wirelessly. As long as the switch is installed in a box that has Hot & Neutral you should be good to go. Think of the Switch as a wireless remote… on steroids :muscle: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad I checked back in here today because I see pre-orders are open!

I’m sure you guys are all set, but if you need anyone to do any testing on an early batch I’m willing to do so. I’m an EE and work in R&D for a switch and circuit breaker manufacturer (low voltage and commercial/industrial, no residential stuff), so I’m not worried about playing with something that may not be 100% yet.

I may have missed it, but are there any details yet on the specific zwave parameters it’s going to employ? While I’m waiting I’d like to work on modifying the Homebridge Z-wave plug-in to add support since I use HomeKit exclusively for all my home automation.

Out of curiosity, has the device been tested for the known bug with the dimmer where the notification LED doesn’t stay lit?

Will this work with Alexa if I have a hub?