Firmware v1.36 (Beta) | LZW36 | Fan + Light - Red Series

Hey. Anyone else have the loss of canopy comm issue again with 1.36?? Just scrolled through this thread to see when I had posted a question back when I did the update… Last September! Been fine since then and randomly lost it tonight. Same as a year ago… zwave seems fine. Indicators on the switch work and track with zwave command/status. Light/fan don’t respond. It was bedtime (and a late bedtime to boot) so no troubleshooting tonight, just yanked the chain on the light and said goodnight! I’ll do the circuit breaker trick tomorrow and see if that lasts another ten months. But hoping there’s not something thermal going in here (loose correlation… Last September I updated the firmware and it went away… June and it comes back…hrmph…).

Anyway. Will confirm tomorrow (or when I get to it) that the circuit breaker trick works and see how long I get. Just wanted to see if anyone else was still experiencing this after 1.36 as this is my first reoccurance after the update. (Was never terrible for me… Happened twice I think before I updated firmware last year)

Confirmed. Circuit breaker to re-pair canopy with switch worked. Will update if and when I lose it again…

2 Likes

I had this issue a couple of times since upgrading to 1.36. I just pulled the air-gap and haven’t had the issue since (fingers crossed).

Argh… Bad news. 6 days. Happened again… @EricM_Inovelli … Any new info on this issue losing connectivity to the canopy? Been a year and now it came back twice in a week… Apparently not a firmware problem…

Honestly, I’ve had better luck with 1.31. You might try that.

Hrm… Couldn’t get it to connect at all… Air gap didn’t work… On travel this week, so going to try again then contract support I guess. Maybe downgrade the firmware per suggestion… Process this time was:

-Circuit breaker
-Light Fixture pulses after 30 seconds
-Hold fan speed up, click fan button 3 times (from manual)
-LEDs on switch pulse turquoise, then go green (yeah… Switch thinks it succeeded)
-Light fixture continues to pulse… Switch doesn’t actually work
-if I retry the button press with lamp still pulsing, the switch just pulses turquoise until it times out (green only happens that first time after circuit breaker thrown(

Whole thing is repeatable…I miss something!?

Thought I’d post my same response here that I did in another thread:

Just wanted to let everyone know we’ve officially opened up a case with the manufacturer to deal with this. We are getting more and more people writing in every day about connection issues. No clue what it could be related to since it’s happening on firwmare 1.34 and 1.36 and with updated canopy modules.

It also seems like most people have had them working for months and then they suddenly stop working. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s summer now and the fans are being used more or what. So far no one internally who uses them (in Michigan or Utah) has had any disconnection issues.

We are going to get some of the units back and send them to the manufacturer, but at this point we’re not 100% sure on handing out replacements since the issue is also happening with the replacement units as well. We might just ask people to hold onto them for a month or so while we figure it out, or they can return for a refund. Will update further and likely create a new thread once we have some info from China.

1 Like

I was experiencing this on 1.36 as well. Reverted to 1.31 and seems to be resolved “for now” ™.

1 Like

Do you feel like it may be because the temperature is increasing so the module is experiencing issues or that you are just using the device more frequently so possibly noticing an issue more often?

We have not started using the fan yet, and the indoor temperature varies very little between winter+furnace and summer+ac.

I can’t firmly say temperature, no. This latest loss of connection was a pretty cool week.

As for use… Can’t say there’s much there either…yeah, we hit the fan for the first time this year recently… But it’s the main overhead light in my daughter’s bedroom, that goes on and off many times a day.

Bigger problem now is that I can’t get it to reconnect. Like I said, I’ll look at it again at the end of the week and update this and go from there…

I noticed in the firmware page lists this device as being “gen2”… Was something fixed? I got it on pre-order so I’m sure it was gen 1. Was something fixed in the next generation? Or am I missinterpretting that?

Thanks

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the update. For pairing of the fan module I usually pull the air gap on the switch and then cycle the power from the circuit breaker. When the bulb starts to pulse, push in the air gap and do the pairing button combo.

There was a modification to the fan module firmware that addressed a “flickering bulb” issue with the canopy and certain bulbs.

1 Like

Thanks… I’ve just been cycling the circuit breaker… Had always worked previously, but guess I’m missing the other step. To confirm… Pull and push the air gap? Is there something easy on the switch? Or I need to pull it from the box and actually disconnect the switch’s power wire? Or I should RTFM because it’s in there? :slight_smile:

You can Google air gap on switch to RTFM, but really all you need to know is that you will see a small rectangle on bottom of the switch to the left. Leave the switch installed, including the plate. Using a small screwdriver (dinner knife, fingernail, etc) reach underneath and pull it straight out toward you. That will cut power to the switch. Push it back in to restore power.

… And it started working again. Did nothing. But can’t test this anymore now since it’s, eh, working. This is where I say I SWEAR I’m a technologically savvy human being. I’m an engineer… Electrical/computer engineering. I actually use my degree daily. I swear. Hahaha. I have no idea… It really wasn’t working…

I also fully acknowledge this is exactly where I roll my eyes at my father and say “well dad, all that matters is that it’s working now”…hahaha

2 Likes

Alright… One more update in this long running saga… It was working but acting weird… No joke, the light button turned in the fan last night. Followed the rest procedure properly this time… With the air gap … Working… Hopefully that sticks.

Still planning to buy another… Even with this … Way too convenient to have…

Recommendation to the inovelli folks though… If the opportunity arises to update this product with a real smart home interface going from the switch to the canopy, do it!! The zwave side of everything I have had been nothing but robust. Clearly though, your manufacturer built the canopy interface off a reuse of some home Depot stuff or something :-).

I am attempt to access configuration parameter 51 to remove the 700ms delay. I can’t seem to update the firmware on any of my 3 LZW36 switches.

Steps taken:
1.) Pulled my HUSBZB-1 Zwave/Zigbee USB stick from my Home Assistant and Plugged it into my Windows 10 machine
2.) Had to manually install some drivers for the stick
3.) Installed Simplicity Studio V5
4.) Downloaded the Z-Wave PC Controller tool within Simplicity
5.) Launched the Z-Wave PC Controller and get to a screen very similar to the firmware guide here on Inovelli
6.) Open the Network Management within the Z-Wave PC Controller and see my 7 devices and three devices called “Switch Multilevel” - Assume those have to be LZW36 as there are 3 of them and the other devices as things such as door locks
7.) So I was able to skip the exclude and include steps of the FW update. For the fun of it I also selected “Node Info” and “Get Version” on one of the switches which completed correctly
8.) Back on the home screen I went to OTA Firmware Update
9.) Selected one of the 3 switches (happened to be the one I got status from) and selected GET. This seems to work for the one I got Node Info on and not on the other two.
10.) In the Firmware Update section I select the LZW36_1.36.gbl file (I assume .GBL is ok even though the guide says to use OTA?)

11.) If I select Update it seems to hang on packet #1 of 4655 written and then after a minute or so just closes the update window.

What am I missing? Do I need to press Activate? Download? Also seems weird that the Current firmware checksum is 00 00.

Any help getting the firmware updated?

Figured it out. I needed to remove and re-add the node as an unsecured node.

1 Like

Howdy folks: I’m coming back around to this old thread because it seems like the 1.36 firmware is still “officially” in Beta, and so my SmartThings hubs aren’t downloading and pushing it out to connected zwave devices. Is there any estimate on when this will change? I know the newest batch of switches are going out with much newer FW installed (a friend just got a bulk order with 1.57) so I’m not sure what’s holding the release back at this point.

Or, is there a way to have SmartThings download and push the firmware manually? I don’t own the Z-Stick hardware needed to follow the out of band update method, and I’d rather not go invest in such a thing for a one time update.

No. AFAIK, SmartThings has no way of doing an OTA update of a Zwave device. So it’s not because the version is in beta, it’s because ST can’t do it.

There was a release of beta firmware for the ST hub last year, release to beta testers only, that reportedly tested an OTA to the Inovelli Illumin bulb. I have no idea what happened to that effort as there hasn’t been much discussion on the topic of late.