Firmware v1.45 (Beta) | LZW31-SN | Dimmer - Red Series (Gen 2)

I posted immediately after but didnt show up.
Yes I just added as a 2nd controller, get node info from primary controller, get node info for device, basic on/off test, OTA get and load the file. Upon completion I set it to white and it worked, checked IDE and it was updated Classic app confirmed the update on screen. I tried this with my LZW42 last week but I was on the Beta Hub Firmware so wanted to wait for the release before I tested again and noticed this update and it worked.
FYI
ALEXA sets to Red
GOOGLE sets to an off Yellow
webCore sets to Red

EDIT: ST HUB V3 Firmware v31.4
*I have also noticed I have lost dimming control via the app using the dimmer with the associated bulbs after the LZW42 update to 2.30. It is still not working via programmatic only physical interaction with the switch, the switch reacts to both but is only sending multiLevel value, no setLevel via app.

is there a separate firmware for the lzw31 black dimmers?

@antlestxp https://support.inovelli.com/portal/kb/articles/firmware-v1-45-beta-lzw31-dimmer-black-series-gen-2

@GrantsAuto

You are talking about the LED correct? This needs to be modified in the device handler to translate whatever color values get sent to the switch when you use the voice command. Since there is no ā€œwhiteā€ in the Hue Color values we are using is why the colors are coming across different. I am currently re-working the device handlers for the switch / dimmer line so I will fit it in with that release.

Iā€™m confused about the edit part of your comment. Which association groups do you have set on the dimmer to the bulb? Do you mean when you tell the dimmer to adjust to x% it doesnā€™t forward that to the bulbs?

What enhancements are we missing by not not updating the bin file?

@EricM_Inovelli I have tried 2 & 4, 3, and 3&4, Association 3 was working with small delay but synced the group nicely in a fan light combo. Yes when I use voice or control level through the app the dimmer isnā€™t forwarding the level to the bulbs. I have other associations that are operational, just this set up started acting up after updating the bulbs and ST Hub Firmware updates last week. The dimmer is receiving setLevel, reporting BasicReport. It only appears to send SwitchMuliLevel with Off/On to the bulbs.
SETUP: I have 3 LZW42 in a fan/light combo, powered via a dummy switch, always on. The dimmer is Neutral install in the same box with no load.

So far so good here. Upgraded both firmware then did a hard reset via the air gap switch. Also changed the max level back to 99. Iā€™ve had my Hue bulbs on a dim setting for 2.5 hours now, and theyā€™re still on! Thatā€™s longer than itā€™s been able to go before, so Iā€™m hopeful we finally have a fix!

And the white LED setting works great! Thanks!

Well, @EricM_Inovelli, I spoke too soon. Power cut off after a few hours. Repeated the test and the Hue bulbs only stayed on for ~20 min. So, doesnā€™t appear to be a meaningful improvement. :disappointed:

Sorry for the super basic question, but how do I update the .bin file with Hubitat?

will the other switches get the option for the white RGB value?

2 Likes

You need a separate z-wave usb stick that you can add as a secondary controller. Then using the Z-wave controller software you can select from target 1/0 and update the bin file. I use the z-wave.me usb stick with hubitat.

I had a thought that perhaps Iā€™m dealing with a faulty device. So I swapped it out for another, previously unused Red Series Dimmer. It exhibits the same behavior with the power cutting off after some time. Both before and after the firmware update to 1.45. It was from the same 09/19 manufacturing batch as the other one though. @EricM_Inovelli do you think itā€™s worth trying a device from a more recent manufacturing run to see if there is a possible defect? Or are you pretty sure this is something thatā€™s solvable via firmware?

If thatā€™s what the root of this is, any way we could get a firmware release that fixes this thing for Load Only configurations? I donā€™t use the 3-way configurations on the Inovelli switches/dimmers.

1 Like

So Iā€™m curiousā€¦does the power cut out and then right back onā€¦or does it stay off? Iā€™m seeing what sounds like something similar on a Red Series switch (non-dimmer), where it seems to power offā€¦and then right back on. Seemed to get better with FW v1.17, but it still happens.

It stays off. The funny thing is that the dimmer doesnā€™t even realize itā€™s off. In order to get power back, I have to tell the dimmer to turn off first, then tell it to turn back on.

Interestingā€¦ now that sounds like the exact OPPOSITE of what I experienced with the dimmers on the original FW (v1.35). At certain points, with the fixture onā€¦it would stay on and couldnā€™t be powered off without first telling it to turn on (even though it already was) and THEN back off again. (without smart bulbsā€¦Iā€™ve never had any luck combining smart switches/dimmers with smart bulbs).

@EricM_Inovelli ā€¦ not sure if this is a problem or not, but when I repaired after the FW update ST assigned as a ā€œSecure Dimmerā€. I changed to your DTH and so far so good, except I noticed the ā€œRaw Descriptionā€ information is blank, except type and address. I normally went here to validate the FW installed, but itā€™s blank. (attached)

So I just flashed another dimmer and the Raw Description is coming in fine and it recognized it as a LZW31-SN and applied the correct DTH. Hmmmmā€¦so why the inconsistencyā€¦

Ugh, and this is with software thatā€™s windows only?

Correct. I had to dust off the windows laptop. Fortunately, I kept one around just for reasons like this.

1 Like

@Jbaskerville, the device didnā€™t include properly. Can you exclude and try again? It will likely have problems in its current state.

@wsdavis, man, I had high hopes. What are the specs on your bulbs (generation / model number)?

@GrantsAuto Group 2 should forward on / off and Group 3 should forward level changes. Group 4 is used when holding the button down at the physical dimmer. Honestly, I canā€™t think of anything in the firmware that would have changed this. Did you update the device handler around the same time?