Firmware v1.52 (Beta) | LZW31-SN | Dimmer - Red Series (Gen 2)

The first flash was directly from the Hubitat app so that was Hubitat C-7 in the role of primary and the dimmer a participant of that network. In nearly all previous firmware flashes from my old C-3 hub I did it this way too with zero issue other than the occasional reboot/retry (using Brian’s Firmware Flashing Driver).

This time around I flashed from my C-7 Hub to the dimmer on my existing network. According to the built-in app the flashes went perfectly normally. But the side effect was that the dimmers no longer were sending events and a manual refresh had to be issued to get the event stream and log to begin showing entries. This was true even if a scene or rule sent a device an instruction. No log entry. Nothing in the even steam (Device Page “Events” tab).

The latest flash (which created the partially bricked dimmer) was performed from C-7 to device within the existing network. The 700 Series stick was a secondary controller on that network. Again the PC Controller App showed no errors and reported a successfully completed update of both targets. This was a re-flash of 1.52. Target 0 went first with no issue. Target 1 also no issue. After the expected reboot that’s when the dimmer ceased to respond to commands.

Removing the dimmer from the C-7 network and directly connecting to the stick makes no difference. I cannot flash this device.

I also have to add that flashing firmware should not require exclusion from a network at it then would destroy all the scenes/groups/rules that include that device and require a manual rebuild from notes. That would be a month long process for me and I only have 20 devices in a small apartment. Past firmware flashes on your dimmers have not had any issues at all. There is something wrong with some combination of my migration from C-3 to C-7, use of the Hubitat Built-In Firmware Updater App, S2 security, and perhaps v1.52 itself.

Will the LZW30-SN be getting the adjustable delay speed at some point as well?

1 Like

+1 on both of @mamber’s use cases.

I need the 1.48/1.47 smart bulb behavior, and gaining minimum level 99 would be great as well since the ramp up (even at 0) occasionally upsets Philips Hue bulbs. I should have used LZW30-SN switches, but I really wanted that big LED bar. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have an LZW31-SN dimmer runing 1.52, at it seems Local Control Disabled is no longer honored when configured on Hubitat? I usually disable it right on the device, but I also tried the child device method and see the same.

Is this expected?

I just updated my LZW31-SN (red) to the latest beta firmware. It now shows Parameter 51 in ZWAVE2MQTT which is great. However, regardless of the setting, the switch is behaving as “instant on”, not allowing for double-tap scene selection.

I presume this is due to parameter 50 having a setting of ZERO (0 ms delay).

Using ZWave2MQTT, I don’t see a configuration for parameter 50, presumably because OpenZWave 1.6.974 does not have an updated config for this firmware?

Is there a way to set this parameter using Home Assistant / ZWave2MQTT? Or maybe the SiliconLabs PC Controller?

Based on browsing this forum, the LZW30-SN seems to be neglected next to the shiny LZW31-SN (there’s at least one major bug in the LZW30-SN that’s existed for months with no ETA for the fix). Sometimes you just want a simple on/off switch. Does every single light in the house need to be dimmable? I don’t have high hopes that they plan to release updated firmware for the LZW30-SN anytime soon.

I can definitely see why you’d think this, but I promise you this is not the case. We start with the dimmer bc it is the most complex of the lineup. Once we’re able to fix this switch, we can roll-out fixes/enhancements to the rest of the lineup.

As mentioned in other threads, we have to pick and choose our battles as the manufacturer is who houses our firmware (battle for another day) and they charge us per hour of man-time for firmware development.

So, since our dimmer is our most complex and also our top seller (aka shiny object), we choose to start here.

I promise you and the community we will roll out updates to the On/Off once we’ve locked down everything on the dimmer. Right now we’re working on enhancing Smart Bulb Mode and inclusion mode.

More to come!

2 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli, can you advise how to set parameter 50? Without it set up in the OpenZWave definition, I’m not sure how to set it using any of the tools available.

Try firmware v1.51 from the Inovelli firmware download site
Index of /firmware/LZW31-SN/Beta/1.51

It has the newer configurable button-tap delay with the previous (v1.48) smart bulb behavior (but still stuck with the Minimum=45 max setting). This works well for me in most cases but am still hoping for the Minimum=99 setting to come in a future release. :pray: I will probably stay at 1.51 (not .52) until an updated Minimum=99 version becomes available.

BTW, after flashing the 1.51 file into the switch, it reports v1.50 back to the hub. So there is typo somewhere in the filename or the code itself. Not sure if its really .50 or .51 firmware, but its in the Beta/1.51 folder on the download site

I’m not sure how to set it in Home Assistant, unfortunately. Maybe @EricM_Inovelli knows?

Awesome thanks. I’d actually prefer a dimmer in this slot. But I have a fan on the same load line so I’m stuck with the on/off. Looking forward to the eventual updates.

Really appreciate the more detailed response. I haven’t had the time to peruse every thread in detail, so I missed some of the issues you’re having with development. Your comment gives me more confidence that these kinks will be worked out.

Already thinking about how to integrate additional LZW30-SN devices into my house (yes, I’m boring, I know). Although, the main reason I avoid dimmers is because I really like the instant-on status of binary switches. It looks like there is an instant on feature in the LZW31-SN, so I might buy one to test out.

2 Likes

Very configurable. You can change dimming speed to 0, and then aside from the 700ms delay for scenes, light turns on instantly.

If you arent going to use scenes, you can turn this 700ms delay off and its just as quick as dumb switch. Or with the newer firmware you can reduce the delay.

I think I got 27 LZW-31’s in the house, and Im not using the dimming feature on any of them. I like the elongated LED bars. I use them for various smart home notifications.

1 Like

Hello!

I upgraded maybe 3 of my LZW31-SNs the other day. I forget the exact reason, but I ended up downgrading back to 1.48 on all three.

On ONE of those three, I can no longer double-tap, triple-tap, or quad-tap – the Hubitat controller only receives “button 1 push” or “button 1 held”. The curious thing is the switch is NOT configured to eliminate physical delay; there’s still a 700ms delay between the action and Hubitat hearing about it. I’ve tried disabling the physical delay and then re-enabling it to no avail.

I tried re-flashing 1.48 (otz) and 1.41 (bin) but still get this behavior. Is there anything else I should try?

I would try a factory reset. Exclude the switch, then hold the config button 20 seconds. The LED bar will turn red if you don’t want to count.

2 Likes

I would recommend going into the device parameters and forcing it to disable, save, enable, save for that parameter. The taps should be restored.

1 Like

Curious. Triple-tapping the configuration button (trying to exclude it) only resulted in “button 7 pushed” and the switch never entered the include/exclude mode. Holding it down resulted in a “button 8 held” on hold and a “button 6 held” on release but the switch doesn’t factory reset.

Since I have a small handful of spares, I’ll swap it out later this week.

Thanks.

Unfortunately not. That was my first thought and what I mean by “I’ve tried disabling the physical delay and then re-enabling it to no avail.” – I did this from Hubitat, not local to the switch . As I mentioned in my previous reply, I can’t even seem to trigger a factory reset on this guy any longer.

I think this MIGHT have been the switch I tried experimenting with the parameter 50 being talked about in this thread. Perhaps I chose the wrong parameter value length (1 byte, 2 bytes, 4 bytes) and ended up unexpectedly writing data somewhere the switch isn’t expecting it?

Since I can’t seem to fix or factory reset it, I’m just going to swap it out with a spare later this week. Thanks for the suggestion on this, though.

Does the config button work at all? Make sure the local control didn’t get disabled (config button 8x). If you can get it to exclude, it should reset to factory.

It “works” but doesn’t behave like the config button normally does:
“Triple-tapping the configuration button (trying to exclude it) only resulted in “button 7 pushed” and the switch never entered the include/exclude mode. Holding it down resulted in a “button 8 held” on hold and a “button 6 held” on release but the switch doesn’t factory reset.”

Maybe as a last-ditch effort, I’ll upgrade it back to 1.52 and see if I can get it to exclude or factory reset there, then downgrade it back to 1.48.