Firmware v1.52 (Beta) | LZW31-SN | Dimmer - Red Series (Gen 2)

Not sure which hub you’re using but in smartthings you can factory reset a device then force exclude or delete the device. Little backwards but I’ve done it several times.

Did you happen to try setting the delay to 700ms after you did the flash? All of my switches, when flashed with 1.52, had 100ms set by default. I had to switch to a longer delay in order for multiple presses to work.

1 Like

How can you change the delay? I don’t see setting 50 in my zwave manager (ZWave2MQTT) or in my hub (Home Assistant). Presumably because OpenZWave doesn’t know about that parameter yet.

How else can this be done?

Oof, I’m using Hubitat and in my brief googling I couldn’t come up with a way to set specific parameters on Zwave2mqtt. Hopefully someone with some Home Assistant experience can chime in.

1 Like

If you want to use MQTT, I recommend moving over to ZwaveJS2MQTT. It has a gorgeous UI with firmware-specific drivers that will expose parameters once they are added in new firmware.

As far as I am aware, ZJS (upon which ZJS2M is built) does have the latest parameters added to their database.

1 Like

HI @Eric_Inovelli .

I’ve updated my LZW31-SN Dimmers to the latest 1.52 and 1.43 firmware versions and notice that the flickering of the bulbs its back. When on it seems to flicker every so many seconds. I had this issue before and it was fixed in a firmware and now on the latest firmware its back again.

Can you try to downgrade one of them to the previous firmware to see if the issue goes away? First try to downgrade the bin to 1.41. If that doesn’t fix the issue then downgrade the otz.

Finally got around to it. Downgraded the bin to 1.41 and no more flicker. Been sitting here for an hour and haven’t noticed it. On 1.43 it was pretty bad and very noticeable.

Thanks @kreene1987 – ZWaveJS2MQTT is great and had the config setting I was after. I won’t tell you how long I messed around with docker/portainer before I realized that there’s a HASS addon for ZWavejs2mqtt … :see_no_evil:

1 Like

@EricM_Inovelli I just installed a LZW31-SN dimmer and some new bulbs and above 80% brightness, I consistently get very fast flickers. The bulbs use 4.5W and the light fixtures I’m using uses 10 bulbs (https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp/symple-stuff-40-watt-equivalent-a19-led-dimmable-clear-glass-filament-light-bulb-e26medium-standard-base-w000614994.html).

What’s interesting is I have another dimmer connected to a similar light fixture that only uses 6 of the same bulbs. That light fixture doesn’t have the flicker issue. Both dimmers are on Firmware 1.52, bin 1.43.

I haven’t tried either of these bulbs with bin 1.41. I can downgrade to test it out but figured I’ll check first to see if you had a way to resolve this. Thanks

Edit:
I just downgraded to bin 1.41 and it still has the flickering issue.

Can you try flashing 1.41 again just to double confirm? It is strange that it worked for @GavinCampbell, but didn’t work for you.

Did you upgrade them before testing them on the original firmware?

Mine has been fine since downgrading the bin file. I only have a single LED bulb on that circuit.

Tried flashing 1.41 again… No difference.

Went back to 1.43 and same behavior. I did notice that it doesn’t always flicker though when set to full brightness on both 1.41 or 1.43. It flickers 90% of the time but once in a while, it doesn’t.

In the meantime, I’d set my max brightness to a lower brightness to avoid the flickering. However, it’d be great to figure out why the flickers do happen so I can go back to using max brightness.

Unfortunately not. Upgraded the dimmer before installing the LED so didn’t try the original firmware. Want me to downgrade the firmware to the prod version (as opposed to just the bin file)?

Okay, just found something really weird… Turning on “Smart Bulb Mode” stopped the flickering. The LEDs are not smart bulbs. Also, parameter 9 is set to 0 and the level of the LED is 99 (so max brightness). Since “off” z-wave command still cuts off power, that turns off the LEDs. It’s really weird that I don’t get any flickers in “Smart Bulb Mode” even though the LEDs are still at max brightness.

Of course, I can no longer turn off the switch physically so this isn’t a solution.

@EricM_Inovelli please any thoughts here? I’m lost as to why my LEDs never flicker in “Smart Bulb Mode” but almost always flicker in the regular mode.

Are you sure they’re dimmable bulbs? If they’re not, they makes sense.

Yup, they are dimmable

Hello folks! Seeing something new here on v1.52. I noticed it first on the device page (Hubitat). I have a dimmer running 1.52 that’s sending button 8 held events (Down on the paddle released) once every few seconds. It’s quite strange. There’s nothing physical that would cause this. I just factory defaulted the dimmer and now this just started happening since the reset. Now that said before I factory reset this dimmer it was updated (weeks ago) to 1.52 using the Hubitat Built-In Firmware Updater. I had to factory default this one to get its event stream working again. So it’s an improvement? Either way my hub is getting hit with these button press events that are not physically happening. So wondering what’s up? Anyone else seeing anything like this?

Has Hubitat support said anything about this? Just curious, maybe they can see something in the logs as well. I haven’t seen this on my end on the C7, but I’ll keep an eye out!

Do the reports stop when you air gap the switch?

If it’s not too hard I would perform an exclude/reset/(firmware re-push?)/include on the switch.

I’m not experiencing this in my installations on 1.52, but definitely see that it is an issue on your end!

Oh do I wish I could read the complete logs of my own Hub…

Air gap. Yep that clears it. Had to do it twice (?) for some strange reason. But after that it stopped its false reporting.

It’s been an adventure with this. A few posts back I document (also in the Hubitat forum) how I have some concern that the built in Hubitat firmware update tool leaves something incomplete when it’s done updating an LZW31-SN. The event stream stops and nothing appears in the logs coming back from the dimmer. Only a factory default, re-include, etc will fix this and in fact the trick of doing the network ID swapping does not work. You must copy/paste/click the whole way through to rebuild your rules, scenes, groups, etc. So I’m glad that this issue is fixed with a simple air gap!