[HOW-TO] Using the Z-Wave Association Tool in SmartThings

ZWAVE_S2_FAILED may be the same as S0. At least in theory. If S2 fails then it is supposed to downgrade to S0. Then, if S0 fails, it downgrades to non-secure.

Can you post the Raw Description for the devices from the IDE?

I have a dimmer associated to 2 Ilumin bulbs. I used the scan nearby function as well. The zw:Ls means S0. I think I had to exclude/include a few times to get the ZWAVE_S0_DOWNGRADE

The dimmer shows up as
networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S0_DOWNGRADE
zw:Ls type:1101 mfr:031E

Yeah, the Ls means S0. What is the “zw” value for the bulbs?

Here is the raw description for the switch that isn’t working with associations
ZWAVE_S2_FAILED
zw:L type:1101 mfr:031E prod:0001 model:0001 ver:1.47

And the bulbs
ZWAVE_S0_LEGACY
zw:Ls type:1101 mfr:031E prod:0005 model:0001 ver:2.28

And here is a different switch I setup a few weeks ago that is working with associations on some different LZW42’s
ZWAVE_S0_DOWNGRADE
zw:Ls type:1101 mfr:031E prod:0001 model:0001 ver:1.47

The strange thing is I added the switches the same way using the scan nearby feature and had no problems with the first switch coming in as S0_Downgrade, but I can’t get this new switch to do the same.

Is it possibly a range issue? Sometimes the range isn’t good enough for an S0 inclusion. Also, you might want to try the S2 inclusion and during the part that it asks for your DSK code, hit cancel or skip or just wait for it to timeout. That should force an S0 inclusion.

Nothing seems to be working. I tried including with security and cancelling when it asks for the code. I moved the hub close to the switch and rebuilt my mesh. I tried two other LZW31-SN’s in other parts of my home to see if it was an issue with the one specific dimmer, but everything results with them coming in as Zwave_S2_Failed and associations don’t work. Could something with Smartthings have changed? Has anyone else had recent success including them as zwave_S0_downgrade? I had no issues about a month ago.

I just did some testing and they must have changed something. If I do an inclusion with the “Scan Nearby” option and it now goes into the S2 inclusion. If I mess up the DSK on purpose to get it to downgrade to S0 it just doesn’t use security at all.

Is there any other work around you can think of or is there a possibility of getting LZW42 firmware that allows the bulbs to pair with S2? At this point direct association with the bulbs isn’t possible with Smartthings. Maybe this is the excuse I needed to switch over to Hubitat!

I’m trying to come up with something, but I believe it is something that SmartThings will have to address. The proper behavior is to downgrade to S0 if S2 fails so I’m not sure why they have changed that.

I am also experiencing this problem. I put in the switches, all with S2 security. Then after a lot of reading discovered that S0 security would be faster (better). So I excluded all my switches, added them without S0 security, and now I have

• networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_FAILED

zw:L type:1001 mfr:031E prod:0002 model:0001 ver:1.20 zwv:6.04 lib:03 cc:5E,70,85,59,55,86,72,5A,73,6C,98,32,5B,9F,25,75,22,7A

Unable to use the z-wave association tool on any of these.

I wish SmartThings would fix this soon.

Kirk

Any tips to get the ilumin bulb security to work at S2 with Smartthings? I tried half a dozen times with the bulb 4 feet from the hub and it still came back S0 every time.

Also, is the expected behaviour that the associations just silently don’t work? Everything seemed to configure properly but it doesn’t actually work.

I might be wrong, but I don’t think the bulb can pair S2. You’d have to get the switch to pair at S0. The problem is that SmartThings changed the pairing protocol and it may not be possible to pair the switch at S0.

Correct. Bulb is either None or S0.

So at this point you’re sort of stuck. In the past, you could for a S2 switch to pair at S0 by using Scan Nearby or not using the barcode, but that’s been changed. If you try that now, it will probably pair as S2 Failed.

Inovelli plans on a firmware that will allow you to chose how a switch pairs, but that is sometime in the future.

@ashley.waltrip is fighting with this same issue so maybe she can comment here.

Dang, I thought I saw somewhere in this thread that @Eric_Inovelli had gotten the bulbs to pair at S2 if placed really close to the hub.

Well, I’ve been plotting on jumping ship from POS Smartthings and going to HA, so I guess this is just another reason.

1 Like

Yeah – personally I’m 0-4 in fights and this is unfortunately another loss. Basically, if you are super close you can get it to pair in S0 mode, but there used to be a way you could make it so there’s no security at all.

Hubitat is a solid choice right now if you’re trying for associations. We’re trying to get a new version of bulbs and switches that allow you to include your devices at a certain security level (or no security) so that they’ll easily match. Hopefully we’ll be able to launch this soon.

2 Likes

Sadly no luck here.

For me, even somewhat far away (30-40 feet, one floor up, several walls) I can get S0 on the bulbs no problem.

My draw towards HA is the cloudless aspect. Looks like Hubitat deserves a strong look too. The constant delays due to cloud processing with ST is driving everyone nuts here.

As others have mentioned we are working on a firmware update to solve this either at the bulb side, the switch side, or both. Right now the long shot way to get it working is to pair the bulb so far away from the hub that it fails S0. Then, skip the QR code scan for the switch and it will pair non-secure.

1 Like

Muahahaha. You will be in good company, just keep this forum in mind! We have a lot of like-minded individuals ready to support you here!

1 Like