[HOW-TO] Using the Z-Wave Association Tool in SmartThings

No, unfortunately this only works with Z-Wave products :frowning:

1 Like

So, I am unable to use the association tool if my LZW31-SN is using S2 security (zw:Ls2a) and my LZW42’s are using S0 security (zw:Ls)? Is there a way around this? Can I change the security level of my devices?

I believe that is the case (regardless of the tool) with Z-Wave, but I’ll defer to @EricM_Inovelli on this.

As for choosing your security level – currently this isn’t an option with SmartThings. But what I’ve noticed is that if you choose, “Scan Nearby” during the pairing/inclusion process, it should default to S0, so it will match your bulbs.

1 Like

Yes, that is correct but you can force a certain security level as mentioned in the post above.

That has done it. Thank you!

1 Like

Looking to see if there is a way to have the Z-Wave association work when the source switch is turned on (or dimmer level changed) from the hub. Example- I have two light switches in my bedroom that are associated with the z-wave association tool (02,04). It works perfectly with local control but when I turn the source switch on through the ST app or with Alexa, only the source switch operates.

I believe if you use group 3&4 instead of 2&4 it will work how you are expecting.

I’m looking for some advice on how to add an LZW31-SN to Smartthings with S0 security level so I can associate it with some Ilumin bulbs. I successfully did it a few weeks ago on a different dimmer following the instructions (using ‘scan nearby’ instead of the QR code), but on this new dimmer when I do the same thing it is showing up as ZWAVE_S2_FAILED and the association with my bulbs isn’t working. I tried moving the hub closer and further away but it made no difference. I also attempted to get the bulbs to pair with S2 security by bringing the hub very close, but that didn’t work either.

Any other ideas to get the dimmer paired with S0 security?

1 Like

ZWAVE_S2_FAILED may be the same as S0. At least in theory. If S2 fails then it is supposed to downgrade to S0. Then, if S0 fails, it downgrades to non-secure.

Can you post the Raw Description for the devices from the IDE?

I have a dimmer associated to 2 Ilumin bulbs. I used the scan nearby function as well. The zw:Ls means S0. I think I had to exclude/include a few times to get the ZWAVE_S0_DOWNGRADE

The dimmer shows up as
networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S0_DOWNGRADE
zw:Ls type:1101 mfr:031E

Yeah, the Ls means S0. What is the “zw” value for the bulbs?

Here is the raw description for the switch that isn’t working with associations
ZWAVE_S2_FAILED
zw:L type:1101 mfr:031E prod:0001 model:0001 ver:1.47

And the bulbs
ZWAVE_S0_LEGACY
zw:Ls type:1101 mfr:031E prod:0005 model:0001 ver:2.28

And here is a different switch I setup a few weeks ago that is working with associations on some different LZW42’s
ZWAVE_S0_DOWNGRADE
zw:Ls type:1101 mfr:031E prod:0001 model:0001 ver:1.47

The strange thing is I added the switches the same way using the scan nearby feature and had no problems with the first switch coming in as S0_Downgrade, but I can’t get this new switch to do the same.

Is it possibly a range issue? Sometimes the range isn’t good enough for an S0 inclusion. Also, you might want to try the S2 inclusion and during the part that it asks for your DSK code, hit cancel or skip or just wait for it to timeout. That should force an S0 inclusion.

Nothing seems to be working. I tried including with security and cancelling when it asks for the code. I moved the hub close to the switch and rebuilt my mesh. I tried two other LZW31-SN’s in other parts of my home to see if it was an issue with the one specific dimmer, but everything results with them coming in as Zwave_S2_Failed and associations don’t work. Could something with Smartthings have changed? Has anyone else had recent success including them as zwave_S0_downgrade? I had no issues about a month ago.

I just did some testing and they must have changed something. If I do an inclusion with the “Scan Nearby” option and it now goes into the S2 inclusion. If I mess up the DSK on purpose to get it to downgrade to S0 it just doesn’t use security at all.

Is there any other work around you can think of or is there a possibility of getting LZW42 firmware that allows the bulbs to pair with S2? At this point direct association with the bulbs isn’t possible with Smartthings. Maybe this is the excuse I needed to switch over to Hubitat!

I’m trying to come up with something, but I believe it is something that SmartThings will have to address. The proper behavior is to downgrade to S0 if S2 fails so I’m not sure why they have changed that.

I am also experiencing this problem. I put in the switches, all with S2 security. Then after a lot of reading discovered that S0 security would be faster (better). So I excluded all my switches, added them without S0 security, and now I have

• networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_FAILED

zw:L type:1001 mfr:031E prod:0002 model:0001 ver:1.20 zwv:6.04 lib:03 cc:5E,70,85,59,55,86,72,5A,73,6C,98,32,5B,9F,25,75,22,7A

Unable to use the z-wave association tool on any of these.

I wish SmartThings would fix this soon.

Kirk

Any tips to get the ilumin bulb security to work at S2 with Smartthings? I tried half a dozen times with the bulb 4 feet from the hub and it still came back S0 every time.

Also, is the expected behaviour that the associations just silently don’t work? Everything seemed to configure properly but it doesn’t actually work.

I might be wrong, but I don’t think the bulb can pair S2. You’d have to get the switch to pair at S0. The problem is that SmartThings changed the pairing protocol and it may not be possible to pair the switch at S0.