[HOW-TO] Using the Z-Wave Association Tool in SmartThings

Yeah, you are on the right track here. The security mismatch is going to cause problems here. You may be able to join the Zwave stick as a secondary inclusion controller and include the LZW36 with it. It should update the SmartThings hub about the new node and you can click “cancel” here to get it to not use security.

@Grosbiz yes you can. Are they both controlling separate loads or is one controlling the load and the other not?

Perfect! Took a few retries and random guesses to get it to join insecure but I got it!

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

What are the options if I have 6 bulbs? Can I associatie 5 bulbs with a switch then make an association from one bulb to the 6th?

Unfortunately that won’t work. :frowning: I can only think of getting it to work via your HA system but that bulb will be delayed and probably won’t be the best experience.

@EricM_Inovelli I am loving your association tool which I am using successfully with Jasco Z-wave switchs. but when I try to start a zooz zen30 double switch. my jasco switches are al ZW: LS2A and my Zooz switch is ZW: LS2. even though both are LS2 my the association does not seem to start the zooz switch even though. I have verified that the zooz id is showing in the group 3 list. Should association between ls2 authenticated and ls2 unauthenticated switches work? it seems like it should since they are both ls2

thoughts?

I believe the security level has to be the same. There are separate security keys for each level.

Is it possible to do virtual 3-way between the Red series Fan + Light Switch and a Black series dimmer? I am just trying to do 3-way with the light on the Red series. I have created the associations group with Group 2 & 4 but it won’t do anything

The reason it isn’t working is probably a security mismatch. Each device has to have the same security level to talk to each other. Possible security levels for those devices are none, S0, S2 - Unauthenticated, S2 - Authenticated.

If you get the security levels to match though the black series dimmer is going to control the fan & light at the same time. As of right now the only way to do a virtual 3-way where you can control the light and fan separately with the “slave” switch is to use another LZW36. We are working on alternatives though.

Its all good! I wasn’t sure if it would actually work anyway! Definitely keep me posted if you guys come up with an alternative! I will just use an automation for now or order another LZW36. Thanks for all you guys do! Love your products!

I’m having a hell of a time with this tool not deleting associations when I delete the association child. Is there a clean way to get the switch to remove associations or is it just my switch that is being resistant? I’ve deleted all associations for my bathroom switch but it maintains 3 associations on group 4 and 2 on group 2, neither of which are active nodes anymore.

Edit:
Log error is showing up, @EricM_Inovelli any ideas?:

Deleting the association child is supposed to delete the association. What is showing for your “desiredAssociation” and “actualAssociaiton” info in the IDE?

This is all I get when I delete a child association @EricM_Inovelli :

Edit: Same exact error on creation of a new association. Other existing associations are working perfectly. Don’t want to delete/re-install but can if that’s the solution.

Edit2: It does create the child though:

Are logs enabled on the switch? Deleting or adding the child should result in some logs from the actual switch.

Also, I didn’t get your actual and desired association info from the IDE.

I think I figured out the issue:

I can’t set up any associations. When ever I go to make one the app errors out and says “we’re having trouble connecting please check your network connection and try again”. I followed all the directions but just keep hitting this brick wall.

What are you getting to associate? All devices in the association need to be the same security level.

I’m trying to associate the red series dimmer and the Illumin tunable white bulb. Both controlled by smartthings hub.

Are they both the same security in the ST IDE? Should be S0.

Can you make sure you have both the parent and the child apps installed? Also, check what the IDE logs show when the error pops up.

2 Likes

is it possible to have the z-wave association with zigbee bulbs via hue hub?