[HOW-TO] Using the Z-Wave Association Tool in SmartThings

Man, thanks for bringing this thread back up – I’m having a heck of a time with associations with ST. I can see why it’s been tough for some people.

I’ve finally got it to work, but it took a ton of trial/error. Looking forward to posting my findings so others will have an easier time!

I finally was able to reflash all smart bulbs (took for ever) and set them up as unsecure. Took many attempts to get them to pair correctly (not sure what the exact on/off sequence should be).
I rebuild the association, and it is finally working again! Instant on and off on 4 smart bulbs, perfectly synchronized.
I have few additional questions on the red series setting as many do not seem to change anything, but I’ll post that a bit later.

2 Likes

Loic, would appreciate any pointers you might be able to offer. I’ve been trying to get a single bulb paired via Zwave to an Inovelli dimmer for months with zero success. It’s beyond frustrating at this point. As of tonight I uninstalled everything and reinstalled from scratch following Eric’s step by step tutorials and back to square one with the app generating an error message when trying to complete the Zwave association.

What does the error message say?

Sorry for the late reply. As you’ve probably read, most of the association issues relate to the devices not sharing the same network security level.
Beyond that EricM should be able to assist you with more complex matter.

What happens to the associations when groovy and this app go away? Do the associations stick or will they have to be made again using some new tool?

I assume the association will still work. Associations do not go through the hub and should work even when it’s offline

2 Likes

Hi, Trying to use the association tool to set up a group 2 association between a red switich to control another device. Both devices are ZWAVE_S2_AUTHENTICATED.
The only SmartApp listed for me is SmartLighting.
In the SmartThings apps there is no ‘Add a SmartApp’ option under + menu. I just have 'Add scene ’ or ‘Add routine’. The 3-dot menu juse has ‘Delete’ and ‘Sort’.

Is there an alternate way of doing this? WIth the zooz switches this is just in the device Settings so wondering if there is some place to easiy just enter the other device ID?

Automations tab, +, Add routine, (at the bottom) Discover. Scroll down. Z-Wave Association Tool.

This is a Groovy app, so get it done before the end of September. Not sure how this will work in the Lua environment.

1 Like

Ah. I missed the ‘Discover’ part. Never knew that was there! That got me sorted out. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah the whole Groovy going away thing is worrying me a bit. At this point I’m mostly crossing fingers and hope not too many things break. If things go really badly might be enough to push me to Hubitat or something.

1 Like

Now that Groovy is dead, I don’t seem to have a way to configure Z-Wave Associations on my SmartThings Inovelli devices. What’s the current official guidance on how to do this?

The only way to currently do it is to use the Z-Wave Device Config Edge driver. I haven’t had a chance to test it, but I did install the driver and switch one of my devices over to it. It looks like everything was there to make it happen.

Install:
(New Release) New Edge Driver Z-Wave Device Config Mc - Devices & Integrations / Community Created Device Types - SmartThings Community

Instructions:
(New Release) New Edge Driver Z-Wave Device Config Mc - Devices & Integrations / Community Created Device Types - SmartThings Community

I will eventually write up some device specific instructions, but this should at least get you started.