Ilumin bulb association with red series dimmer

Supposedly we can associate the dimmer and bulb locally. I have smartthings and have both paired with the hub, but how do I associate them with each other?

Youā€™ll need the association tool. It can be found here.

I should have asked what hub you are using.

Also create association group 2 and 4 the same, with the switch as the main item and the bulbs as the controlled items. I actually setup this up earlier today myself. Let me know if you need more detailed directions Iā€™m happy to help.

SmartThings (that was in my OP)

Yikes. Well Iā€™m out. Goodnight everyone!

Hmm, when I add smartapps/z-waveat/zwave-association-tool.src/zwave-association-tool.groovy, I get an error:

Updated 0 and created 0 SmartApps, 0 published (1 skipped due to errors)

If I try to add smartapps/z-waveat/zwave-association.src/zwave-association.groovy, I get this error:

Oh No! Something Went Wrong!
Error 500: Internal Server Error
URI /ide/app/doRepoUpdates
Reference Id 45c82c97-e71c-4973-bb9c-bb2fe28cc86c
Date Sat Dec 28 02:59:08 UTC 2019

If I try adding both, I get the same error as the second one. Any idea what might be going on trying to add the smartapps?

Hmm, looks like I could add it from here?

paging @EricM_Inovelli

Thanks. Yeah, I was able to add the smartapps from erocm123 repository, but I only had errors when trying to add an association. Instead, I went ahead and removed all traces of the erocm123 repository from my SmartThings device types and smartapps, just in case it was conflicting. But after doing that, I still get the errors when trying to install the smartapps.

I grabbed both apps from Nathanā€™s link earlier. https://github.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/tree/master/smartapps/z-waveat. Possibly a copy paste error, easy to do on GitHub. Try clicking ā€œRawā€ in the upper left corner and copying from there for each file. You definitely need both apps, I think the order you add them matters. Only one needs published but I canā€™t remember which so I did both.

I was able to add them directly from code, but not from the github repo. Not sure why.

I was able to create the association group, but it doesnā€™t seem to have done anything.

When I look in the UI for the association app it created, hereā€™s what I see:

Room Ceiling Light Association Group 1

SmartApp: Z-Wave Association Owner: user_uuid:033da883-337b-c494-7cc1-853149e3f677

Name Type Value
dCapability enum Switch
dSwitch capability.switch Room Lamp
groupNumber enum 1
overrideLabel bool false
sCapability enum Switch
sSwitch capability.switch Room Ceiling Light

previousNodes [41]

The Room Ceiling Light (sSwitch) device driver is:

• Inovelli Dimmer NZW31 w/Scene

The Room Lamp (dSwitch) device driver is:

• Inovelli Bulb Multi-Color

Should this work with the NZW31? Or do I need to use the LZW31?

Not sure if this will work for the NZW31 as Iā€™m using with the LZW31. It looks like you assigned the association to group 1. You will need to create the association twice, assign it to group 2 the first time and group 4 the second time. You will also have to delete the association for group 1 as I think I read it creates conflicts

1 was the only option when I created it.

I found this in the device driver for the NZW31:

• 2018-02-26: Added support for Z-Wave Association Tool SmartApp. Associations require firmware 1.02+.

But my device shows:

firmware: 1.01

IIUC, I think only zigbee devices will update firmware OTA on smartthings, not z-wave. And I donā€™t have a z-stick to update myself. I think Iā€™ll probably have to swap that switch out then with a LZW31.

Well thatā€™s a bummer. The first LZW31 association has worked with the bulbs for the first 24 hours. Although I tried to duplicate it in another room last night and that has not worked smoothly. Iā€™m still trouble shooting it.

My zwave association errors out from GitHub but installs with copy/paste from raw code but then when I go to add an association it gives me another error:

Any thoughts? I will start with the logs but is there a DTH I am missing?

There are two smart apps, you added both right?

I had not, thanks for the pointer! Works perfectly now (minus being able to install from GitHub repo).

Can someone explain to me what Association Groups are specifically? I see that 1 is for lifeline on z-wave plus battery devices, but I donā€™t understand 2 through 4, are these just slots for me to use on a per-driver basis or is this something like 2 is on/off and 4 is dim status???

TIA, learning as I go and have 12 more switches in boxes ready to install!

Awesome, glad to hear it works. I did the same thing and got the same error myself. Others have mentioned not being able to install from the repo and Iā€™m wondering if that is because Inovelli is using a private repo and as such have certain permissions locked.

Donā€™t quote me on this but I thought I read association 2 is for on/off state and association 4 is for dimming level. I too would love to know the defined association meanings for each group.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be curious as well. Iā€™m on Hubitat and Iā€™ve tried 2 and 4 from a red dimmer with a load to ilumin bulbs. The bulbs will turn off when turning off the dimmer, but they wonā€™t turn on. I can push and hold up and down and the bulbs will step dim up and down. But I canā€™t get the bulbs to turn on when pressing up on the dimmer.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Iā€™m trying to setup the association as well on SmartThings and not having much luck yet. I had installed the LZW31-SN a couple of weeks back, and that went smoothly. I originally had it paired with 3 Sengled RGBW bulbs in a ceiling fan but didnā€™t like the fact that I couldnā€™t actually dim the bulbs from the dimmer. I returned those and picked up the Ilumin RGBW bulbs. Those paired easily (except for one, thatā€™s a separate issue) and I installed the device handler. The dimmer is setup with Local Control disabled.
I installed both of the Zwave Association smart apps, and wound up publishing both since the directions werenā€™t clear on that. When creating the association for Group 4, I got a message that said ā€œChild device creation failed. Make sure the device handler for ā€˜Switch Level Child Deviceā€™ is installed.ā€ The association ended up being created but not functioning properly. The bulbs occasionally turn on/off quickly, but most times thereā€™s a few second delay for the first to turn on, then another 2-3 seconds for the second bulb, and 2-3 more seconds for the third bulb. Holding down from the switch to dim works sometimes but with a huge delay of 5-7 seconds. Holding up to increase the brightness doesnā€™t work at all. I was thrilled when I first found out about the Red Series dimmers and Illumin bulbs working through the zwave association, but actual results have fallen short so far. Hoping itā€™s something simple.

Anyone know what that error is about referring to the switch level child device? I would try uninstalling the smart apps, device handlers and devices to try again if any one can offer some guidance on the correct sequence.
Thank you!