LZW30-SN - Activate the light on button-press. Not button-release

On a regular light switch, the light turns on/off when I press down on the toggle switch… not when I release it. I have a Leviton smart switch which behaves in this way and makes the switch feel more responsive. I’d love it if my On/Off Red could work in this way.

Obviously this wouldn’t work with scenes, but neither does disabling the 700ms delay. Perhaps just disabling the 700ms delay could also cause it to behave this way.

1 Like

These buttons have to be on the release because they allow you to do custom actions with multiple presses (e.g.: My dining room light defaults to 70% brightness, but will go to 100% brightness if I double-tap up). There is a setting in the firmware to turn off the 700ms delay that is necessary for that to work. Try turning that off, and see if you like that better.

How does one change this setting? I agree with OP, this would be a nice option (assuming one is willing to forego the multi tap gestures)

You need to make sure your switch is running at least Firmware version 1.19: https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/firmware-v1-19-beta-lzw30-switch-black-series-gen-2

Then use your hub to set parameter 51 to 0 (or 1 if you want to re-enable the 700ms delay+gestures).

Disabling the 700ms delay already disables multi-tap and hold gestures so there’s no conflict there. I personally don’t have a use for the gesture features. I got the Red instead of the Black because I wanted the LED and power consumption features. If I ever do want to control some extra thing for some reason, there’s always the config button.

I only mentioned LZW30-SN (On/Off) in the title because that’s what I have right now. But if this request does get some attention from Inovelli, I hope they also make the same changes available to the Dimmer version. I’m not a big fan of the relay clunk in the on/off switch so I’m tempted to get a dimmer and set it up as just an on/off.

If you disable to 700ms delay it is almost instant and appears to be an old school switch. It Hubitat you can do this by changing the parameter 51 or by setting “Disable Physical On/Off Delay” to Yes.

This is a new setting that I just found recently so I think it is only a few weeks old.

To be clear, I already had the 700ms delay disabled. The suggestion/wishlist item for this thread is a different thing.

Any updates on this one? It would be really nice to be able to limit the switch to be able to differentiate between press and release.

I’m using the VZM31-SN.

@Eric_Inovelli it would be great to see this in a new firmware update.

Any way we can get this onto the team’s radar? It seems like a pretty trivial change to implement relative to some of the other functionality that exists.

I don’t think you’ll see any further development of the Gen 2’s. Inovelli is no longer working with that manufacturer and that switch has been discontinued.

I actually only have Blue Series VZM31SN switches; just using this thread to show that others do want this as well.

@EricM_Inovelli – where did we land with this?

On the VZx models, setting Parameter 50 to 0 should provide this functionality. However, it does disable multi-tap scenes as noted in the first post.

1 Like

This is not quite what the OP was looking for (I think!). This parameter is the time it waits after a button RELEASE to decide whether there’s going to be another click. So yes, setting it to 0 disables multi-tap scenes. OP was asking about triggering on button PUSHED rather than RELEASED. In dimmer mode, this isn’t useful - it’s got to wait & see if you are going to hold the push (and start a ramp process). But in on/off mode, I don’t think hold does anything - so this could be a slight optimization in this case (delay = 0 and on/off mode) to start the action on a push rather than a release.
Not sure how long a “click” (time between push & release) typically takes, I’d have thought less that 100ms, so it’s not going to be a big improvement, but would help.
There’s probably some kind of wait involved in de-bounce processing too - but again, not sure that’s relevant here either; ‘up’ button bounces & says turn on a few times, but the first one already turned it on, so no harm.

1 Like

Right.

The goal here is to allow people the option to get the minimum possible latency between button press and the light coming on (at least that’s the main goal).

Philips Hue lights already have a bit of a delay on them due to them fading on/off by default (although seems like it’s actually just not adjustable at all) instead of just coming on / going off instantly so that combined with the switch triggering after the button has been released adds up to quite a bit of a delay.

Our plan is to eventually bail on the Hue app/bridge and do direct binding which will fix the fading in/out delay introduced by the Hue system. At that point, the only thing to improve is getting the switches to trigger the action on press, not release. But right now it looks like it’s not possible without a firmware update.