LZW31-SN Dimmer Red Series (Gen 2), GE Aux switch, No Neutral wire: Aux can turn off but not on

Yes. That is the diagram.

So basically (with a multimeter) check the voltage between the traveler screw and ground without the button pressed and with the button pressed/activated?

I tested it earlier and it was 124VAC to the hot/black in the second box and (I think) around 60VAC to the traveler without the button pressed. But I will measure again to confirm and also measure with the button activated.

FWIW, I also ordered a Homeseer aux switch and it exhibits the exact same behavior.

Voltage to the hot in the aux box is 124.0VAC

Voltage to the traveler in the aux box is 62.8VAC (no buttons activated)

Voltage to the traveler in the aux box is 92.7VAC (up button activated)

Voltage to the traveler in the aux box is 101.9VAC (down button activated)

Identical situation I am experiencing only I am using a Hubitat Hub. Very interested to see outcomeā€¦

Out of curiosity, I hooked the Homeseer Aux switch up to check the readings off of it. Here is what it comes in at. Very close.

Voltage to the traveler in the aux box is 61.3VAC (no buttons activated)
Voltage to the traveler in the aux box is 91.9VAC (up button activated)
Voltage to the traveler in the aux box is 101.0VAC (down button activated)

@EricM_Inovelli do you have any thoughts with this after seeing the voltage readings? Iā€™m trying not to abandon a smart switch on this leg.

Let me check with an engineer about this. Thanks for getting the measurements, that will help the engineers.

Just want to add that Iā€™m having the same issue. I donā€™t remember having the issue when I first configured the switch several months ago but after I replaced the light fixture recently, I noticed this behavior. Off from aux always works but sometimes on works, sometimes it doesnā€™t work. Happens often enough that my wife wants to replace the switch

1 Like

@indivic @rbf Assuming your setup is also a non-neutral set up like mine, try setting parameter 22 (AC Power Type) to Neutral, not Non-Neutral. I configured mine properly to Non-Neutral in the past and experienced exactly these issues; off would always work but on would only work every so often. Once I set it to Neutral despite not having a neutral set up, it worked 100% of the time turning both on and off.

I have two 3-way switch setups in my house, both had these issues in the past, both are not actually a neutral setup, but both work 100% of the time configured as a neutral install via home assistant (not at the switch level).

Also my Parameter 23 (Switch Type) is 3-way Momentary.

1 Like

@indivic, @tpope FWIW, Iā€™m seeing very similar behavior and problems on a black series dimmer using an identical no neutral, AUX switch setup. I have a partial work around implemented but cross posting for the benefit on any others having similar issues. I ended up having to configure LZW31 for a neutral setup and set stops on the dimmer brightness to get things to work.

I have an open thread with support but full description and pics are here:

Ok. Progress!

I set mine from non-neutral to neutral with max brightness at 100% and the aux switch just completely stopped functioning in either direction (short press or hold).

I then set it to 80% max brightness in non-neutral and had same symptoms (would turn off but not on).

I then set 70% max brightness in non-neutral and had same symptoms (would turn off but not on).

I then set to neutral (even thought switch doesnā€™t have one) at max brightness of 70% and suddenly everything worked. Short press (on/off) and long press (adjust dimming) all worked with 100% reliability. So at least there is a work around for now. There isnā€™t enough light since Iā€™m losing 30% of my lumens, but at least itā€™s working for now until we hear back from @EricM_Inovelli and his discussions with the engineers.

EDIT: Actually just tried non-neutral at 70% again and the aux switch does not function in either direction. I will try different brightnesses soon to see where it actually begins malfunctioning. My quick test was that it still didnā€™t work at 80%.

1 Like

My threshold was 80% for the AUX switches to stop working, I set a max brightness at 79%. You can manually set parameter 9 to your max brightness so your AUX switches always work.

Iā€™m running 5 x 60w incandescent bulbs as a data point.

Mine stop working at 75%. Three 75W halogen flood lights.

@EricM_Inovelli Any word on this? We have a workaround right now with setting it to ā€œneutralā€ (even though there isnā€™t one) and setting max brightness to 75%. But that really dims my lights and it seems weird that I have to do this when Iā€™m running a supported configuration.

Iā€™m also wondering about this. I havenā€™t tried changing from non neutral to neutral - is that a safe workaround? Are there any side effects or risk to running a switch configured for neutral when there is no neutral available?

@indivic @rbf The workaround is ok to use and shouldnā€™t cause any problems. I am still pressuring the engineering team to give me answers regarding this issue.

Still no updates here? My emails to support have gone quiet at this point.

I will bug them again. They are shifting around resources and have not been as responsive as normal. Donā€™t worry, I havenā€™t forgotten about you.

Adding a comment as I just installed my first Inovelli switch (lzw31-sn) along with a Homeseer Ha-100 auxillary switch in a non neutral setup. Same issue with aux not turning off and same temp solution of changing to neutral and setting dimming to 70%. Voltage at traveler is 49.8V with aux switch not pressed and 105V with up pressed and 98.5V with down pressed. At that time I had a mix of fluorescent and 8.8w FEIT led bulbs (2 bulbs in 2 fixtures) I replaced the LED bulbs with incandescents and it seemed to be working just fine. The I changed over to all be 14W FEIT brand LED bulbs. They started flashing so I installed a aeotec bypass and everything was working again without issue. Those LEDs were too cold so I switched them back to the warmer 8.8W LEDs and the issue came up again, aux wonā€™t turn light off unless dimmer is set to 70%. So for some reason itā€™s associated with the 8.8W FEIT brand Led bulbs.

1 Like

Iā€™ll add on that Iā€™m having a similar problem with non-neutral configuration with a GE aux switch and a load of 2 40W incandescent bulbs, and also Iā€™m hoping for a solution

Would like to add that I have the exact same issue. 3 way set up using a Gen2 Black series dimmer and GE add on. It will turn off from the aux but will not turn on. Changed it to switch type neutral and max level 85% and it worked. Changed it back to non neutral power setting and for some reason it continued to work. But still at max level 85%. Increasing the level to 95-100% causes switch to act weird. Lights turn off and led on switch also turns off.