LZW36 - Light randomly turning off

I’ve been migrating my Inovelli devices from ST to the new ZwaveJS integration I am having an issue where a LZW36 is randomly turning the light off. I did not have the same problem when the light was used ST. I am using the direct integration(not mqtt). Not sure what additional logging I can enable to figure out where this is coming from except what I have indicated below. I have tried exclusion/inclusion to see if that helped but it did not.

Any help is appreciated.

Couple of things I noticed:

1. HA simply logs “turned off” in the history as opposed to it being turned off by a service or user
  2. In the zwavejs logs I can see the following log showing the value change but nothing else useful as to where the change came from
    2021-03-02 23:46:54.502 INFO ZWAVE: Node 7: value updated: 38-1-currentValue 55 => 0

Similar issue noted (but not yet resolved) here:

I noticed the fan switching off as well, but for me it would consistently be just a few seconds less than 2 hours and 10 minutes after the fan was turned on. That looks like a similar time period as to the other thread, so you may want to check to see if it is always around the same amount of time as well.

Also, as the switch faces my desk, I did notice that when the switch turned off both led bars seemed to cycle through red/green/blue, though I’m not certain if it was in that order. I have a hunch that the switch itself is rebooting.

I did go through exclusion/inclusion and factory resetting the switch, reapplying the firmware v1.36, as well as checking that all the wires are secure, and found no improvements.

As a workaround, I set parameter 17 “Fan State After Power Restored” to value 100 to restore the state to the value it was before the power outage. This keeps the fan running, though I do still see the led bars cycling colors about every 2 hours and 10 minutes.

I just had it happen at 2hr 10m but didn’t notice if the bars cycled. That said it’s completely random for me since sometimes it happens after minutes… sometimes after hours.

I’m experiencing this as well.

LZW36 firmware

App Version
Zwavejs Version
Zwavejs-server Version

I neglected to mention I’m using ZwaveJS as well. I wonder if it is somehow the culprit despite the lack of logs? Also, I’m using the zwavejs2mqtt add-on in Home-Assistant.

App Version
Zwavejs Version
Zwavejs-server Version

I am as well. I am on the ZJS add-on (current) with ZJS integration (current). Damn near exactly 2 hours and 10 minutes.

Probably worth starting an issue on github for the integration.

I’m having this issue as well, have been for a while now but thought it was just me. It’s been the case ever since I switched to ZWaveJS2MQTT.

Ok well at least I am not just crazy… sounds like we have multiple cases that all started since switching to ZwaveJS. I’ll start an issue for zwavejs.

1 Like

One follow up. Is everyone using Home Assistant(the bug reporting channels are different if so)? Or alternatively is anyone not using home assistant…

Using Homeassistant core-2021.3.3 via container

FYI, I set parameter 17 “Fan State After Power Restored” to value 100. And did not experience the fan turning off randomly last night.

1 Like

I am also having this issue. I am using Home Assistant. I will try setting parameter 17 to 100.

Same issue here, updating parameter 17 seems to be a decent enough workaround but wondering what is causing the regular reboots of the switch now.

Even though the auto-off time is set to 0, I found that re-setting the auto-off time parameters (10 & 11) to 0 again alleviates the issue until I restart stuff (not sure which restart is killing it).

Is everyone here modifying parameters on the fly (for notifications, etc.)?

I am not modifying params on the fly yet… but that is my goal once the setup is stable. @Eric_Inovelli is there anything we can do to figure out if/why the switches are resetting when using zwavejs? Thanks

I am not modifying any parameters on the fly. I had previously reset parameters 10/11 to 0, but I can try that again. I can confirm that setting parameter 17 to 100 has fixed my issue, for now. It still does not explain why the fan is executing a power-off routine. The bit that I find most bizarre is that the error previously persisted even if I unplugged my raspberry pi home assistant hub.

Pardon my ignorance. But how are yall changing parameter 17. I have HA and using zwavejs and can’t seem to figure it out.

For me the issue persists even after doing an exclusion which seems very strange. The only way to get it to stop is to do a full hard reset. Then when reincluding it starts doing it again. That being said, the switch has behaved perfectly until I started using ZWaveJS. Setting the parameter to 10 works for me as I usually only ever have the fan on low.

Also, at least for me, the light does not come on by itself, which makes even less sense. You would think if the switch was rebooting, it would listen to both the fan and light after power restored params, but it seems to only be affecting the fan part.

I’m only experiencing the auto turn off when I turn on the fan via Home Assistant. If I use the physical button the issue doesn’t happen. Are you experiencing the same?

Also another thing I noticed is when I turn on the fan in home assistant, the entity for the light gets turned on as well even though the light isn’t really on.

I have this problem as well.