Packaging and Bulk Packs

@Eric_Inovelli will this be for both black and red series, dimmers/switches?

Great! Looking forward to that pack! Faceplates are definitely not needed as I have more than I need due to needing multi-plates. Thank you!

I have limited funds to spend on smart devices. I usually add one or two devices a month when I can. I found your site when I found the unboxed RGBW bulbs at a big discount (and in stock). I would buy more devices if could get some dimmers and switches just in a bubble bag or something like that at a savings.

Todd

I think the reality is that inovelli can only go so cheap, and right now thier the most affordable in Canada at least, but thier quality is better than any of the big names. I would much rather have bulk switches in boring packages, missing some of the bells and whistles at a fair price than forcing thier margins down on the nicer stuff. I imagine the price will creep up over time though

Yes, all of the above :slight_smile: – sorry for the delayed response here!

Yeah, so @Melerann hit things on the head here. We actually lost money on the RGBW bulbs and had to sell them quickly to pay the manufacturer back. The problem is that the Z-Wave chip is actually very expensive compared to its competition (WiFi, ZigBee, Bluetooth, etc) and it’s why our prices are higher then non-Z-Wave brands. Z-Wave bulbs especially are more expensive as there needs to be added components to not allow the chip to overheat as it’s temp range tolerance is less than the competition as well.

Packaging realistically isn’t that expensive (the ones we use at least) – the reason we offered the unboxed was because we mistakenly ordered a ton of Holiday Packs thinking they would sell (Buy 4 Switches, Get 2 Bulbs Free) but when they didn’t, we had to break apart those packs and we sold the products individually.

Yeah, this exactly – another thing we’re going to have to balance is tariff’s which the exclusion we got is expiring, so we’re trying to figure out how this will impact things (luckily they shouldn’t impact Canada).

Is there going to be a 5 or 10 pack of the dimmable black series? I don’t have the need or desire to create scenes that are available in the red.

Thanks!
Gene

They Discountinued them unfortunately @gene, not enough interest.

That is sad… I would have certainly bought a 10 pack if it had been offered.

-Gene

I’m also disappointed that bulk packaging has been discontinued. Even after installing 6 Nest smoke detectors in the new house I was tired of over-packaged products. I can’t imagine what I’ll be facing when I start installing 20+ smart switches. :confused:

Maybe there is a chance that Black Friday or the holiday season will bring bulk pricing at the least? I have heard about “Holiday packs” from last year, although I’m not quite sure what that was.

I believe only the Black Series Bulk packaging was discontinued (well…they only sold 1 or 2 of them). The Red Series Bulk packaging is still there.

I see bulk packaging for both the Black and Red on/off switches, and Red series dimmers. I’ll admit, I didn’t see these until I looked under “all switches”, when I was filtering to just dimmers the bulk packages is not listed. My bad.

@Courtney_Inovelli @anon14959390 @Eric_Inovelli - Update main Products page and remove the bulk packages that is discontinued?

Yeah, we have plenty of Black Series On/Off 10pks as we couldn’t stop those in time. I just took a peek and there’s: Red Series On/Off & Dimmer and Black Series On/Off, all of which we have in stock :slight_smile:

We were able to stop the Black Series Dimmers from being produced (although not the packaging which we had to use for the latest Red Series Dimmer 10pks lol) and we will likely not sell those as @harjms mentioned, we sold 1 of those packs over a 3 month time period.

Yeah that’s our bad – we’ll update the category pages to reflect the bulk pricing and make it easier – sorry about that!

EDIT: @anon14959390 can you help out with this when you get a chance?

2 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli Thank you for the reply. That one pack over the last 3 months may be the pack that I just now ordered to get me going.

I really appreciate the local, small business transparency when the founder/CEO replies himself. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thanks dude! Happy to help :slight_smile: and we sincerely appreciate your support. It really is a small operation over here, but we love you guys!

Looks like bulk packs are now backordered till March, does anyone know if those will be a new batch with updated factory firmware? If so, I could probably hang tight as I’d otherwise be looking at updating 30 or so units.

I would assume so, or at least 1.47 (latest Z-Wave certified version).

That said- if you have a lot to update, I strongly recommend don’t use your hub to do them. Use a separate PC with a Z-Wave stick and the Silicon Labs PC controller software (from the standard update instructions).

The key though, is don’t unpair the switch to pair it to the PC controller. Instead, pair the PC controller to your hub.
Put the hub in pairing mode, then hit the Classic Learn Mode on PC controller’s Network page. It will then register to the hub as a child device. From there you will see all the Z-Wave devices on your network, and you can flash both firmware targets for your Inovelli dimmers. These update packets will route across your Z-Wave mesh from the USB stick to the dimmer, however if you take the laptop right near the dimmer it goes WAY faster.
Then when you’re done, put the hub in Exclude mode and hit the Classic Learn button again in PC controller to drop the USB stick out of your mesh. Not doing this can cause routing problems.

Not having to pair-unpair everything should save you a ton of time…

I believe they will likely have 1.47 on them as it costs us money every time we have to recertify with z-wave for new firmware.

We will probably have 3-4 different alternate beta firmware version out by then that will be customizable to whatever suites your needs best.

FYI, I just bought 3x 10pack of Red Dimmer from Aartech, and they all came in individual box ! It be nice if they were in simpler packaging.

If it remain like this, I would make it so the switch be on top, the zip bag with the neutral wire be under it, and then the Z-Wave label after that. The rest I didn’t need to access past the first one, but I still had to pull and check everything out. The face plate could be the next item. In my case, I already had them all, so I didn’t use it.

But this made lot of nice box laying around…

Having an extra short stranded black wire would be nice at time :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking for another update on 10 packs Red dimmers. It is now End of Dec 2020 (out of stock)
I am looking at getting 20 dimmers or more and ready to order but?

Eric I understand if you can’t say much just yet but sounds like you will be releasing ZigBee Dimmers soon (2021) Correct.

My question is are inovelli ZigBee switches going to be a lot cheaper or just a little as I would be disappointed if they are half the price coming out right after I receive switches if I order today?

And if I buy a few Z-Wave switches now and find out you will be updating software much more often on ZigBee switches due to costs, I will feel stuck as I would not be able to afford to change over if I get all Z-Wave switches now. Maybe you could just give your opinion on should I wait or would I be just as well off in the long run with Z-Wave for a little more costs now. And maybe a release year quarter on ZigBee Switches.

As Colombo would say one last question.
If I order 10 packs now and wait would I be able to change the order if they have not been shipped for a newer product if one comes out? Like ZigBee